Author Topic: Riding around Lake Michigan (any must see spots?)  (Read 5552 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Riding around Lake Michigan (any must see spots?)
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
Kind of a long story here so I'll start off with just the basic question:
Starting at Muskegon MI and riding around the lake counter clockwise back to Chicago, what are the "must see"; "must ride" spots?

OK, now for the long story. I was talking with a sport biker/track biker/C14 owner acquaintance (TGE on the other forum) at a bike night here in Fort Worth, where I mentioned how my C14 is mostly limited by my skill set. I was complaining that there are so few ERCs (now called BRC2?) in the area and when they finally get around to having one, it's always at a bad time for me. He offered that most times the ERC is like the basic course only using your own bike. He thought that I would get much more out of a Lee Parks' Total Control course. I looked up the schedule and I see there is one in Grand Rapids MI just around the time (Aug 4) that I'm looking for an excuse to visit family in Chicago. I make plans for some twisties in Arkansas, a stop over in Branson MO., followed by a few days in Chicago. Then, Saturday Aug 3rd I'm going to head up to Milwaukee for lunch at Mader's German restaurant followed by a ferry ride across Lake Michigan to Muskegon and continue to Grand Rapids for the Total Control course the next day. I'm somewhat committed to the trip (I announced too soon, and there are now familial expectations), but I find out that there is a good chance that the Aug 4th class may get cancelled. So far I'm the only person to sign up for it, apparently early August in Michigan is too hot for most mid-westerners.  :o  ::)  ???  :nuts:

Assuming that I can't get a bunch of you to sign up (arm twisting emoticon goes here) and save the course for me (I think that's a safe assumption), I need to make some alternate plans and I thought a ride 3/4s of the way around the lake might be a viable alternate. Not as educational, but enjoyable none the less, I hope. There are some routes listed online at various websites, however when I go to the Google street views all I see are a lot of trees and houses even though the lake is very close to the road. It seems that I may only get a lake glimpse here or there when lucky. Doesn't seem set up at all like say the PCH. This is especially true on the lake's east shore, the north shore and the Green Bay shore look very promising. The drive south from the city of Green Bay to Chicago doesn't seem promising either (down Wisconsinites, down , I meant for lake shore riding, I like the Wisconsin countryside just fine.  :grouphug: ), but I was expecting that.  I was thinking that other than the Mackinac Bridge (pronounced) there must be some other must see spots (or must ride roads) along the lake that I can string together via the GPS directed faster routes, rather than follow the lake itself and slowly not see much of it.

So for those that have been there or have made extensive plans for that, what are the must see spots-rides?

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
Re: Riding around Lake Michigan (any must see spots?)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
I've done this trip twice and a couple of must rides in Michigan:

1) Take the ride up 22 to Northport.  The first trip we cut across 72 to save time, but the second time we made it a point to ride and it was definitely worth it.  Decent twisty 2 lane highways and lots of scenery:

2) Take 119 out of Petosky!  This is by far one of the best roads I've been on.  It can suck royally behind old people in a cage, but otherwise its awesome roads with the lake on one side:

Besides that, when riding along the west coast of the lake in Michigan there are plenty of highways (some are lettered, not numberd, I don't remember them all off hand) that are all nice roads.  Don't let yourself get sucked east and end up on 4 lane highways, what fun is that??

As for the UP, you pretty much either ride south along highway 2 (and the highway 35 in escanaba) or head north which can be real fun if you have time.  Back in WI, once you hit Green Bay take 29 east to the lake in Kewaunee, then ride 42 south along the lake to Manitowoc.  From there you can get on South 10th st. which becomes Lakeshore Rd which will get you to Sheboygan.  From there you are on your own, either back to 43 or whatever way in the Chicago area. 

If you plan right you can stick to 2 lane highways almost the entire trip.  On past trips I have stayed in Traverse City, Escanaba and Chicago.  It always depended where we ended up. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
+1 on M22 & 119
First however, north of Manistee while you're on US31, look for Lakeshore Road (the road to Orchard Beach State Park), this road will take you to M22, but follows the shoreline a bit closer.
While you're on M22 about 2 miles north of Arcadia, stop at the overlook & climb a couple of stairs for an awesome view.
Also, while in Traverse City, look for M37( it splits the Traverse Bay) & travel up the Mission Point Peninsula w/ a stop at the Lighthouse at the end of the road.
A must stop while on M119 is at Leggs Inn in Cross Village. You can dine on the patio overlooking the big lake.
Once you're in the U.P., if you like good jerky, make a stop at Gustafson's in the village of Brevort along US2 about 25 miles west of the "bridge".
The Tahquamenon Falls & Pictured Rocks are a couple more things to see while in the Upper too.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Wrinkled Wrider

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:07:21 AM »
The Harley museum in Milwaukee is worth a visit, and it's very close to Maders. If you're interested in architecture, the Milwaukee art Museum is just a few miles east on Milwaukee's lakefront. The Calatrava addition is pretty cool. The Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc is also interesting. As for good roads or natural scenery, there's really nothing special on your route. Hwy. 32 south from Sheboygan is an alternative to the interstate, and not much slower, and you can pick up I-43 at Port Washington.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
As for good roads or natural scenery, there's really nothing special on your route.

I object!  I would consider Kohler-Andrae State Park worth visiting.  The natural beauty of the beach-lined shores is a welcome diversion.  MI may have 'some' beaches of their own, but K-A is a pleasant place to visit.

--- Attractions (also check yelp.com if possible)

Been to H-D Museum a couple of time with different people, once is enough unless someone has never seen it.  All self-guided with lots of documentation to read through beside bikes to see.

Mader's is nice, and Harbor House has a better lakeside view.

My brother welded the slab sided pedestrian bridge over Lincoln Memorial Drive to the Calatrava wing of the Art Museum.  The beauty of the Calatrava wings unfold every morning and night. The “wings” open at 10 a.m. in accordance with regular days of operation, close/reopen at noon, and close at 5 p.m. the Calatrava wings unfold

Frank Lloyd Wright architecture is visible in Racine if you wish to see an office environment he designed.

after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
I would suggest a trip out and around the Door County area.  The northern most tip is really a fun ride.  I was just there over the weekend, but was in the cage since the C14 can't pull a boat.  We where there mainly for salmon fishing, which was a bust!
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
Thanks everyone, very helpful! I think I'll skip the HD museum, and I may have to go to Mader's on the second run through Milwaukee
as lunch and the ferry schedule don't quite line up right. I'll look into the Door county riding a little more, but even though I'm not looking for an Iron Butt type run, time is a slight factor (I do have to eventually get back to Texas and prepare for the Idaho trip.  :) )

Again everybody, thanks for the info, much more response than I was expecting.  :chugbeer:  :grouphug:
I'm thinking now that even if my class doesn't get cancelled I may make this round the lake run anyway.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
Not sure how long you'll be in the area but I'd avoid Milwaukee Aug 29-Sept.1st, HD 110th anniversary celebration.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »
Not sure how long you'll be in the area but I'd avoid Milwaukee Aug 29-Sept.1st, HD 110th anniversary celebration.

Thanks, I should be in Idaho by then.  ;)

Offline Wrinkled Wrider

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:18:12 AM »
Door County would be a side trip, but there is lots info on the web, and many photos, so you can decide if it is something you want to do.
http://www.wisconline.com/cgi-bin/countypics.pl?direc=Forward&curpic=28.jpg&county=Door
 photo of the last mile of Hwy. 42 into Gills Rock.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »
Door County would be a side trip, but there is lots info on the web, and many photos, so you can decide if it is something you want to do.
http://www.wisconline.com/cgi-bin/countypics.pl?direc=Forward&curpic=28.jpg&county=Door

Yes.  42 all the way from Sturgeon Bay up to Gills Rock, then down 57 through Baileys Harbor.  Beautiful area! 
[/URL]
From the boat last week.  About 7 miles out looking back at Bailey's Harbor.
And my only fish in 3 days on the water.
[/URL]
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »

Dang!  :thumbs: Me thinks Door county has been added to my trip! I also may need to come back in October.

Thanks!