Author Topic: Canyon Cages saves another  (Read 17934 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Canyon Cages saves another
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
Nobody will ever see the scratches but you.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
Sorry to hear Max.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »
Glad to hear no serious damage was done, but if you are like me that is all you will see every time you get on the bike.  Next time you have the fairings off take the Canyons to this guy and have them powder coated, he can do any color you want and a great job.  http://www.jandjpowdercoating.com/Even-More-Pictures.html   my bike is on the page, tell him I sent you. 

I absolutely hate the HRBT, drove across it for years before I just moved to avoid it.  Good luck.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »
I don't know much about chrome, but that is what I chose too.  Can't you buff that out and get them chromed again?  I know MC Enterprises said they would look at the repair for the powdercoated ones, maybe the chrome ones as well?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
The spots are so minor, it really doesn't need refinishing, just a touch of something to prevent rust.  Honestly, to me it doesn't even look like it got completely through the chrome to the base metal.  (Apparently this is some seriously high quality chroming).  If there was a large section of damage, I would probably consider sending it back to MCE.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Flathead

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »
A quick way just to protect would be clear fingernail polish.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:41 AM »
OK, it is my turn now.  I knew it was just a matter of time.  After almost two years, I dropped the C-14 for the first time.  And not for any good reason either :(

I hate those tunnels.  Anything can happen at any time.  Glad you got it upright ok with some help.  And is there any good reason to drop the bike whilst stationary?  ;)

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »
  And is there any good reason to drop the bike whilst stationary?  ;)

Yes, there is. When a guy cuts a left turn onto the side street you are sitting at and is surely going to clip you.  Fortunately, when I stood up to jump off, my MIL SPEC vest caught his attention and he veered off into the yard on the right and chit his britches before continueing on.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
You're right.  Very good reason to jump off of a perfectly good bike while stationary..  I imagine it was a close call with your britches as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
(Apparently this is some seriously high quality chroming).  If there was a large section of damage, I would probably consider sending it back to MCE.

We use one of the top chromers in California, actually. After all, what's a good, strong product without a decent finish? Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're okay, Maxtog, and that the damage was relatively minor. If you do decide to send it back to us to get refinished, just let me know and I'll get it taken care of for you!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:01 AM »
We use one of the top chromers in California, actually. After all, what's a good, strong product without a decent finish? Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're okay, Maxtog, and that the damage was relatively minor. If you do decide to send it back to us to get refinished, just let me know and I'll get it taken care of for you!

8)
My Concours Travels:

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
Good to hear it was minor Max!  My lower fairing never touched when I dropped mine, but I never really looked that closely. I'll have to take a look. I've yet to sand and touch up my bars...too damn cold now.

One thing that I've noticed though that is bothering me is that the stainless steal bolts on the bars are rusting. You can see in Max's photo there is rust inside where the allen wrench goes.  This should not be happening...right? Should different bolts be used?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »
One thing that I've noticed though that is bothering me is that the stainless steal bolts on the bars are rusting. You can see in Max's photo there is rust inside where the allen wrench goes.  This should not be happening...right? Should different bolts be used?

Yes, I did notice that but have not asked MCE yet if they think that is "normal" or if I should be requesting replacement bolts.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
Yes, I did notice that but have not asked MCE yet if they think that is "normal" or if I should be requesting replacement bolts.

It shouldn't happen but it does from time to time. It has to do with the chroming process itself. Due to the shape of hardware (especially some nuts and most bolts) the chrome tends to settle unevenly in some spaces. The hardware we use is extremely high grade, rust just tends to happen from time to time especially if you live in a humid or wet environment. If you guys would like some replacement bolts just shoot me an email or call me and I'll get some shiny new replacements sent out to you at no charge.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
It shouldn't happen but it does from time to time. It has to do with the chroming process itself. Due to the shape of hardware (especially some nuts and most bolts) the chrome tends to settle unevenly in some spaces. The hardware we use is extremely high grade, rust just tends to happen from time to time especially if you live in a humid or wet environment. If you guys would like some replacement bolts just shoot me an email or call me and I'll get some shiny new replacements sent out to you at no charge.

I'm going to see if I can find some small hole plugs that will fit.  All 4 of mine (front and rear) have rust on them, and new bolts will probably do the same thing.

Thanks Ryan for offering replacements.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
I'm going to see if I can find some small hole plugs that will fit.  All 4 of mine (front and rear) have rust on them, and new bolts will probably do the same thing.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=181&osCsid=2f1fd72b14149e0a183cf3d3bacd3fb2

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=185&osCsid=2f1fd72b14149e0a183cf3d3bacd3fb2