Author Topic: I saw a brand new FJR  (Read 11235 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I saw a brand new FJR
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:10 PM »
And with the Lambo mirrors, lack of fish scales, factory cruise, and sporty from taillight to head light it is one badazz bike.  If I wasn;t trying to hit 200K on my connie I'd probably have one in the garage.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: I saw a brand new FJR
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »
My son has a first gen FJR. Significantly lighter than the C14. Even the new fully loaded FJR is lighter than the C14. If I was in the market for a new ST, the FJR would be on the short list. But I expect to be satisfied for all my ST needs for the rest of my life with the C14. Next bike will be a KTM ADV bike.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
Steve- I highly recommend taking a long ride on a test run. I just had a 2012 and thought I was going to love it. I was so unhappy with it compared to the Concours. If I never owned the Concours first I may have loved it. Good luck! Go for the 200,000 miles.
And with the Lambo mirrors, lack of fish scales, factory cruise, and sporty from taillight to head light it is one badazz bike.  If I wasn;t trying to hit 200K on my connie I'd probably have one in the garage.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
Steve- I highly recommend taking a long ride on a test run. I just had a 2012 and thought I was going to love it. I was so unhappy with it compared to the Concours. If I never owned the Concours first I may have loved it. Good luck! Go for the 200,000 miles.

But you had a 2012, the newest rendition is better. Likely more FJR's sold than C14's, and Kawasaki is just retarded for not having cruise control yet. I am sure I will get some flack for this, but overall the FJR's also have much less pain in the ass issues than the C14. How many C14's have you owned now?  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
Cruise control is so far down on my want list. And the adjustable suspension is even further down.But many people love the FJR and they can't all be wrong. Huge following.
I had a 2008 and totaled it at 44,000 miles. One warped rotor.
I still have my 2010 at 55,000 miles. Two warped rotors.
I had a 2011 for 18,000 miles. ten warped rotors and 2 lock boxes. lol. Got rid of it!
I have a new to me 2012 that Has 13,000 miles on it. I've ridden it 1 mile. lol
I lucked out with the FJR. I traded even for a same year Concours. The Concours had 13,000 miles compared to the FJR having 1100 miles. The bike just felt too wrong to me especially in the baggage department.

The new changes to the Concours are changes I actually find useful for me. I might even have to trade in 2 bikes this year for a 2015. Don't tell my wife.
Joel from Maine.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
Hi,
       Looked HARD at the FJR and the BMW K1200GT. Settled on the Magnificent C14 and never looked back! 8)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »
Hi,
       Looked HARD at the FJR and the BMW K1200GT. Settled on the Magnificent C14 and never looked back! 8)

Ay, Carumba! She forgot her helmet- oh, I guess that doesn't matter..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:44:50 AM »
Ay, Carumba! She forgot her helmet- oh, I guess that doesn't matter..

How could you possibly notice something like that when there are other things to notice?  :P

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »
How could you possibly notice something like that when there are other things to notice?  :P

I like her AGATT apparel and hanging fruit..

Offline TJ

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »
If the 2015 would of had cruise control would of bought one. The FJR is a nice bike as well. But after sitting on a new Triumph Trophy I might be hooked. Very comfortable seating position as well as cruise and sat radio and USB port.
More money as well. Guess we cant have it all :(
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
 I came off a BMW K1200GT that had cruise control. Used it twice. Didn't care for it and never used it again. Connie doesn't have it and I don't even care.

Offline FIX UR CRITTER

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »
I came off a BMW K1200GT that had cruise control. Used it twice. Didn't care for it and never used it again. Connie doesn't have it and I don't even care.
I finally find someone that agrees with me.. eletronic cruise control is way over-rated. a $20 throttle lock is all you need. I really wish i could understand all the people that say they won't consider the c14 without cruise control.. waste of money in my humble opinion..

BTW- again IMHO.. FJR is a toyota, the c14 is a lexus
Prevent a litter, Fix ur Critter
PLEASE neuter all your pets.. there are millions of starving strays that wish you did.
'08 C-14, '08 Bandit 1250
'08 SV650, '07 YZ250F

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »
I finally find someone that agrees with me.. eletronic cruise control is way over-rated. a $20 throttle lock is all you need. I really wish i could understand all the people that say they won't consider the c14 without cruise control.. waste of money in my humble opinion..

BTW- again IMHO.. FJR is a toyota, the c14 is a lexus

I like it when riding alone going long distance like across west Texas. But other than that, I hardly use it. Unless your in the lead, you can't use it when with other bikes. I use my vista cruise throttle lock much more often than my Rostra. I like to use the throttle lock for a few seconds at a time to relax my arm.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
I installed a BrakeAway and it works great for flat ground, and all other surfaces if you do not mind the speed fluctuations.  I use the throttle rockers to help with wrist and tendon issues.  I have tried just about all the throttle lock options for the C14 and the BrakeAway is the only one that I could get to hold the throttle without any speed changes.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
I installed a BrakeAway and it works great for flat ground, and all other surfaces if you do not mind the speed fluctuations.  I use the throttle rockers to help with wrist and tendon issues.  I have tried just about all the throttle lock options for the C14 and the BrakeAway is the only one that I could get to hold the throttle without any speed changes.

I haven't seen that one before. Looks like a nice product. I like the instant on and off. Exactly why I favor the cheap vista cruise over the expensive throttle miester that I still have on the bike.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
I tried the universal Vista and almost got it to work, but at times it would not hold the spreed.  Could have been a poor install on my part as I lost patience.  The Brakeaway dealer does not list it for the Concours 14 and will tell you that it will not work, however with a proper custom bracket that is listed in the threads here or the other C14 forum it is possible. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »
I didn't use the universal Vista Cruise. I didn't like the fat bar going across the switches. I did a custom install making my own tiny bracket. Totally adjustable and works great for about $20.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
I actually used the NEP as I recall and it was not for me.  The Vista looks like it would have been a better option for a custom install.

Offline FIX UR CRITTER

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
I actually used the NEP as I recall and it was not for me.  The Vista looks like it would have been a better option for a custom install.

I have used NEP for years on many bikes and I swear with a few adjustments they work perfectly and look like they belong on the bike. Then again- i never keep it engaged for more than a couple of minutes at a time - but i have never needed anymore.. for $20 i prefer it over anything else including electronic which i did not like on a goldwing.
Prevent a litter, Fix ur Critter
PLEASE neuter all your pets.. there are millions of starving strays that wish you did.
'08 C-14, '08 Bandit 1250
'08 SV650, '07 YZ250F

Offline throb

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »
Picked up my new FJR yesterday...amazing bike!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.