Author Topic: connie for track day use?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
connie for track day use?
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:39:56 PM »
I've gotten comfortable enough with the handling & tuning of my connie that I can get it over hard enough through the twisties that occasionally I can touch the crashbars in a corner.  I lean into the corner with my body, but I'm not really comfortable getting out of the seat and putting a knee down, especially in an s-turn.  I want to learn how to really wring this ole girl out to her max potential.  Has anyone ever done track days or some sort of riding school on a concours?  Would it be worth looking into?
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
Re: connie for track day use?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »
Even if you have been riding forever and a day, try a beginners class, if you haven't done a track day before. 1) Track riding is way different, 2) The Connies are nice, but they aren't sportbikes, and beginners may be more the (literal) speed of the connie on the track.
Squeee!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »
Go for it - just don't drop it.  The crashbars may be a hinderence though for lean angle?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Uglydog56

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
A hindrance?  Well not really.  The "problem" is that my bike is 1" lower than stock.  The front crashbars hit right about the same time the base of the footpeg bracket hits, so I don't want to modify them.  And since I've had to "use" them 3 times, I don't want to remove them.  I could probably get a not-so-aggressive lowering rocker and move the forks back down in the triples, but I like how I can flat-foot at a stop light.  I spend a lot of time in traffic while commuting so this is equally important.  At enough lean angle to catch the crashbar, I have about 1/8" of chicken strip left, so I'm lot looking to do a ton of modifications to an already well sorted bike.  I don't think the bike is problem, I think I am.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
Your posts are contradictory, but it's your bike and your life, so you can do what you wish.  Dragging "hard" parts, as in "non-folding" parts, is indeed a hinderance to lean angle.  "Proper" body position will reduce the required lean angle for a given speed and corner, but when a crash bar levers a wheel off the ground, the term may take on a whole new, unintended meaning.

From you second post, it sounds like you will need to learn from your own experience.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Uglydog56

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »
Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.  I want to corner faster.  I don't want to change anything else on the bike to do it.  I intend to improve my riding skills rather than upgrade anything else on the bike, as I have already picked all the low hanging fruit.  Does that make more sense?
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
David L Hough - Proficient Motorcycling series
Keith Code - Twist of the Wrist series
Nick Ienatsch - Sport Riding Techniques
Lee Parks - Total Control
Track days & clinics/schools
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
Twice a year I get to coach and Advanced Street Skills, (yep, certified SMART ASS instructor), it is geared toward what you are asking for, go to www.pugetsoundsafety.com , check out their street section.  This is NOT a track day, it is geared towards enhancing skills in an environment that allows a rider to find that edge that may be the differance between a pinched seat or wrecked bike.

PS, whadaya think of my Honda peace symbol in pic 2? ;)

Offline xjs36uk

• Boss of Worlds End Music and THE Festival
    • THE Festival
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
Get yourself and your Connie over to London, become a Uk Despatch rider for 6 months, you'll learn everything you need to know about handling, comfort, speed, getting your knee down, defensive riding, maintenance, how to stay warm, insurance claims, tyres, Volvos and the UK's free medical system. did it for 20 years and had no problems keeping up with my 'mates' on thier GSX-R's and Ninjas and me on a Stock Connie. many comments about how good a rider I must be to make that old bus shift and corner so well, other comments about how I must be Nucking Futs, was something of a star until I made the mistake of letting one of my friends ride the Connie, then my cover was blown!

Austria only has 8 million people and its full of mountains. I love it here :)
Mark, One half of the "Formation Crashing Greaves Brothers".    1986 GTR1000 A1, 1988 GTR1000 A2, 1989 GPZ900R A3, 1986 GPZ1000RX A1, 1983 GT750 P3, 2000 ZX12R-A1, 1990 ZZR1100 C1, 1986 CBR500, 1985 XT500, 1987 XJS 3.6, 1995 XJ6 3.2 Sport, 1992 XJ40 4.0S, 1987 Capri 3.0S,1993 Xantia 1.9TD, 1993 W124 250D, 1999 S210 E280 4-Matic, 1996 LDV400, 1999 P38 2.5 DSE. I think I have a problem......

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Don't mean to threadjack... but did you tint that 08 shield SoP, or is that painted on the underside? Looks like in the 3rd pic you can still see through it. It looks good, I've been thinking about an option like that for summer...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
Taped off the edges and painted her (inside), did it last year, held up really good.  It does add a sporting touch, doesnt it?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
Looks good!  8)

Offline Uglydog56

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
SoP, I think that is exactly what I was looking for.  I believe I will be doing this in the spring.  BTW - two pics of a blue C10 in the publicity shots.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
Rick, did you take the Lee Parks TCC class a coupla years ago? 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
Your connie will turn if you have the right body position and employ your experience.

This is my connie hanging with mike's gixxer as he is all over his knee puck on the pavement and me hearing the sound of my bike scraping.  The lady behind us on the RC51 Honda equipped with a go-pro cam couldn't keep up but she got this footage of us as we were leaving her. she does track days too btw.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Uglydog56

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
Nope, that's not mine, I just noticed it in the ads.  I've only taken on base safety courses.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 12:18:18 PM »
Next year I WILL attend at least one track day.  Hopefully Heartland Park (Topeka, KS) is still running them like they did this year.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.