Author Topic: How much vacuum?  (Read 7867 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: How much vacuum?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
If you have compressed air, open all the bowl vents and blow down through the fuel line. a small piece of trash can hold the needle off the seat. BTDT. Steve
  No, what was happening is that the bowls were being starved for fuel. go back to a 1.75" piece of foam. Steve
How much psi with compressed air?  I can take one of our 5gal tanks out to the lot a give it a blast of air.
1.75" will do. I cant thank all of you enough for the info.  Someday I hope I can help a poor sap out of a pickle as many of you have done in the past.  :grouphug:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I didn't realize that you had compressed air available.
Steve can better answer this, but I would start at 10-20 PSI.

Also do the Tap, tap...... Try to dislodge a piece of trash that may be under a needle seat.

NOTE: The important thing Steve said was "open all bowl vents".
In other words, drain all the carbs before doing this, and leave the valves open...

This will open the needle valves, and prevent possible damage to the diaphrams.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: There is one other way to dislodge trash. (believe it or not,,,, An old lawnmower mechanic told me about this).
You can use something like a Turkey Baster and push/pull gas in and out of the carbs with the valves open. The surging gas will dislodge trash...
BUT,, be aware that your splashing around a lot of flamable gas!!!!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:52:11 PM by connie_rider »

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
Thanks, on my way out to give it a shot
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
OK ;D It at least appears that I can get her home.  One of the two tricks did the job.  I opened the vents/drain tubes.  This could have unstuck the float/trash.  I then gave her a shot of 13psi.  Either way no leak at the moment.
Please forgive me here as it feels like some of you are spoon feeding me.  The fuel line is a black line with a blue liner inside of it.  Anyone have any experience with this type of fuel hose?  I am curious if the blue lining isnt flaking off.  I have had problems with this bike, but NEVER carb problems.  I know that Steve went through them.  So, two things; 1. Whatever sealant Jimmy used to coat the tank is coming off, or the fuel line is deteriorating. What says the collective?
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »
Well I made it home and still no leak.  I checked my foam; I had a touch under an 1 1/2 piece in there. I went up 1.75. Runs much better. Now this may sound strange, but I swear my rpm's droped by @150. When ringing 60mph I was head mira 4k, on the way home it was under that??? This crazy bike is gonna drive me to drinking. You know the saying "aint nut'n free". ???
2002 Conc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
Glad ya made it home safely.

Best way to determine if the coating in the tank is coming off, would be to look at the strainer/screen that is above the Petcock. If you see pieces of the coating
there, it can't be from the hose.
I'm not familiar with the blue lined hose.      Have to ask Jimmy on that.

RPM's didn't drop!
It's all yer imagination.....

Either that, or the clutch has been slipping,,, and finally quit...
Ride it!!!!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
Hey Snarf.
How is the bike running today?
Carbs quit leaking?
Foam reset?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Hey Snarf.
How is the bike running today?
Carbs quit leaking?
Foam reset?

Ride safe, Ted
Bike is running great for the most part. It seems to drop off on power around 6.5k rpm.  5th and 6th gearmainly. I cut. some various sizes of foam. going to try them out tomorrow.
2002 Conc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 06:27:39 AM »
put in 1.75" foam, ride.  :) Steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
put in 1.75" foam, ride.  :) Steve
I currently have 1.75"  I do need to check my plug in my air box. I dont think it was very tight. Thanks again everyone.
2002 Conc