Author Topic: C10 seat, rear wheel and tire, drive shaft assembly  (Read 5377 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
C10 seat, rear wheel and tire, drive shaft assembly
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
C10 seat in like-new condition.  Had a Corbin on it so this did not get much use.  Pictures on request.  $80 plus actual shipping from 92378.

C10 rear wheel in excellent condition.  Comes with a nearly new tire, which is the valuable part of the assembly.  Actually, it is a taxi tire.  Pictures on request.  The last one went 35,000 miles before it got to the TWI.  Raises gearing about 5%, rides great, excellent traction, etc.  $150 plus actual shipping from 92378.

C10 rear drive shaft assembly with U joint in very good used condition.  I thought it would be good to have a spare in case something went wrong.  Of course, it never did and I forgot I had this when I sold the C10.  Seller was a dismantler that claimed this had 15,000 miles when I bought it four years ago. $20 plus actual shipping from 92378.

Text to Nine 09 Seven 09 Nine 052 for pics or more info.

Dat
Sax
Man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: C10 seat, rear wheel and tire, drive shaft assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:20:34 AM »
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a taxi tire?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:18:09 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a taxi tire?

Car tire?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
OH!

What kind of car tires are safe for the C10?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:08:04 PM »
Taxi?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:28 PM »
This is a real puzzler.

Ok, there are MC tires advertised for taxi use..

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/motorcycle-taxi-tire-tube.html

And there are MC tires with Taxi in the name..

https://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

This tire can be used on pre-1976 cars...and large touring bikes.  Not sure that the C10 is considered a large touring bike, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
since the OP won't say anything, someone buy the wheel and tell us.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »
I second that motion.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 03:33:43 AM »
Talk about backwards technology....what's next carbs and drum brakes?

More Views

Description
175R16 Austone Taxi Blackwall

Popular for Use as Rear Tire on Large Touring Bikes (Check Clearances Before Ordering)
This tire is intended for use on passenger cars manufactured before 1976.
Details/Options
SKU   U66235
Construction   Tubeless 6 Ply Poly/Steel
Load Capacity   1650 @ 36 psi
Overall Diameter   26.90"
Tread Width   5.50"
Suggested Rim Width   5-5.5"
Notes:
$152.00

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 04:46:51 AM »
I sincerely hope not, Gary.  It's been so long since I ran a C10 that I don't remember the tires that I used...possibly D205s?  K491 comes to mind as well.  Never heard of anyone running a 'taxi' tire.  Good luck to the OP on selling his stuff, though.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the info gPink.

How will that tire work on a C10 rear wheel? Looks really wide. Won't it fly off?

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
I have heard a ton of derogatory and ignorant comments on the subject of CAR TYRES on the C10.
So by all means, have at it.  Most folks are "armchair engineers" that are absolutely certain they know this cannot work.  There is a great deal of evidence that it does, in fact, work very well. 

At one point four and a half years ago, I decided to find out for myself.  That was my first Taxi Tyre on the C10. 

"Won't it fly off?" is awesome.  Actually, it does not.  I have had motorcycle tyres "fly off" when punctured at speed, but no problems so far with this setup.  I sort of *wanted* to get a flat, just to see how it would behave.  None so far.

It seats on the wheel just fine below 40PSI, has SIX plies, including some beefy steel belts, goes around corners just fine, and lasts over 30,000 miles.  I like the heavy duty construction.

I like not having to wonder when the rear is going to wear out all the time. 

I didn't really expect it to work very well, except maybe in a straight line.  It is quite stable, even in corners, even dragging the pegs.  Since the tyre is 5% taller than stock, the pegs are even harder to drag. 

DCConcours, it IS really wide.  6.46" at the widest point, mounted.  Turns out the C10 swingarm is about 6.8" wide right there, but NOT SYMMETRIC.  Yeah, like .020" on the left side side when new.  Not kidding.  But the tread wears down a bit and there is clearance on both sides.

And Virginia, the C10 is certainly a big touring bike. 

Thanks for the discussion!

datsaxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
P.S.  Yes, Virginia's link to the Austone is the tyre in question. 

You should see what I have on the C14!!

Dat
Sax
Man
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »
 :yikes: Hands over ears..  I don't want to know.. :rotflmao:   Good luck!

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Yeah ... you don't have a C10 any more, right?  You are probably safe from such sacrilege.

dsm
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »
you PMSing today datsaxman?

:)

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »
Not so much.  You??
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:55:06 AM »
Yeah ... you don't have a C10 any more, right?  You are probably safe from such sacrilege.

dsm

I sold mine in 2008.

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
Yeah, I thought the C10 was pretty cool until I rode the C14...

But I have this seat, and this wheel, and ...

161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
Update: 

Drive Shaft (internals, not including the swing arm and such): FREE to the first punter that agrees to pay the postage. 

Rear Wheel with super duper high mileage attention getter tyre already installed, balanced, and scuffed in nicely: $140 and I will cover the shipping to CONUS. 

YOU KNOW you secretly want to know if this really works as well as I say it does.  Only one way to find out! 

Here is some stuff I learned about running this tyre on the C10, as long as we are here anyway...

1) Most folks are pretty sure that MC tyres are *soft* and car tyres are *hard* and that is why car tyres last so long and MC tyres don't. 

WRONG.  You can keep guessing, or you can go buy a DUROMETER and start measuring tyre compounds.  That is exactly what I did.  Boy was I shocked when the tyres on my two Dodge diesels and the Sprinter cargo van were softer than ALL of the MC tyres I have in the garage. 
BT45, D404, BT21, Angel GT, Angel ST, Shinko 009, and more.  Whatever I had right then.

2) Most folks expect that the amount of traction you get depends on the size of the contact patch between the tyre and the road.  WRONG.  Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

//
Amontons' Laws of Friction

1. The force of friction is directly proportional to the applied load. (Amontons' 1st Law)
    2. The force of friction is independent of the apparent area of contact. (Amontons' 2nd Law)
    3. Kinetic friction is independent of the sliding velocity. (Coulomb's Law)
//

Not that Wiki is the definitive source ... but when they are right, they are right. 

The point of this: most folks expect that when that taxi tyre gets up on the edge a little that there will be less traction available.  WRONG.

3) Most folks expect that when you get up on the edge of the taxi tyre a little, the contact patch will actually get smaller.  WRONG.  It just goes from being wide and short from front to rear ... to being narrow and long from front to rear.  I tried this out statically by spraying WD40 on the tyre tread and lowering the rear wheel down onto graph paper at different angles from vertical.  The contact patch area did not change more than a few % the whole time.  In fact, in motion there would be additional downward force on the tyre and the contact patch would grow.  So even if #2) WAS true, it would not be a problem.

Dat
Sax
Man

P.S.  You should probably only ever get parts and accessories from the local Kawasaki franchise, and you should only let them install things too.  Oil, filters, bearings, brake pads, ... and most important of all ... TYRES !!!  Just sayin!
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!