Author Topic: Radiator Guard Instructions  (Read 7505 times)

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
Radiator Guard Instructions
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Got my Cox Racing Radiator Guard today.  I remember on the old forum seeing instructions on how to mount these and I don't remember if it was Fred or Phil or someone shared a link that showed one of those guys mounting the guard with a washer through the top zip ties.   Can anyone share that link with me please.
Thanks in advance.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Radiator Guard Instructions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »
I got the ProjektD rad gaurd, not so much for protection, but because it's black and looks much better IMO, the protection is just a plus...  ;D

No zip ties required at all, no removal of plastic, one bolt and done, took longer to unpack then it did to install...  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:58:07 PM by ZG »

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
looks good.   The thread I was talking about showed putting a small washer on the upper zip-tie.   Also, I don't see where I am suppose to zip-tie the upper guard to the radiator.   It says the upper radiator bracket in the instructions but I don't see it (2011 model, not sure if that makes any difference or not).

Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
It was Fred who had the photo array. I don't remember what the link was though. He just used washers with a second set of zip ties to hold the guard on. The way if he removed the guard for cleaning or such. He could just re tie strap to the washers, rather than having to run them up and around the other stuff. (I don't remember what they went around). I found it much easier to install if you already had the plastic off the bike to do other stuff. But you can do it with the plastic on the bike. Just not as easy!

Offline riverbound51

• It's all about the ride.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »
Looks pretty nice.  Is there any drilling involved or does it attach some other way?
2008 Concours 14
Always looking for the road less traveled
www.odysseymotorcycletouring.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:04:43 PM »
Got my Cox Racing Radiator Guard today.  I remember on the old forum seeing instructions on how to mount these and I don't remember if it was Fred or Phil or someone shared a link that showed one of those guys mounting the guard with a washer through the top zip ties.   Can anyone share that link with me please.
Thanks in advance.

Is this what you are lookin' for? : http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/radiatorguard

Offline gadallah

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »
I got mine from Premier Cycle accessories. Check out their website:
https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/product_p/pca27ska.htm
Decent people and good service. 
Took all but 5 minutes to install.
Sam

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:35:10 AM »

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
I have the ProjektD guard,  took 10 min to install (at most)

Offline AKwhite

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
Got the ProjektD too for about 2 years now on the bike.

Besides the protection it fits like a glove and looks awesome with that concours14 logo.

The install of under 10 mins is what I remember too  ;)

Offline incabird

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
I originally purchased the Cox guard but it did not fit correctly and was a real pain to try and install. I ended up ordering the Project D and am very happy with the fit and finish. The first Project D guards had an issue with rubbing the radiator but they have addressed that by providing a rubber gasket that surrounds the guard and protects the radiator. As mentioned earlier, it is very simple to install. Just hang the guard over the lips on top of the radiator, make sure it has an even fit around the edge and center and bolt to the radiator with the one bolt at the bottom.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
I installed the Cox, There are two bosses up top of the radiator that was a real bear to get the zip tie behind and back out towards the front...... After some diligence and choice words, I got it done. If I did it again I would go and get a roll of weather striping and use 1 long piece top and bottom instead of messing with the little pieces that tore off and had to be glued while trying to get those darn zip ties done.

Would be a lot easier with the mid fairings off.

Offline Z71

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
I got the ProjektD rad gaurd, not so much for protection, but because it's black and looks much better IMO, the protection is just a plus...  ;D

No zip ties required at all, no removal of plastic, one bolt and done, took longer to unpack then it did to install...  :thumbs:

Question;  did you have to bend the mounting tab that bolt to the radiator mount on the bottom, or did you leave it straight?  On mine the tab would not fit unless I bent it somewhat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
Question;  did you have to bend the mounting tab that bolt to the radiator mount on the bottom, or did you leave it straight?  On mine the tab would not fit unless I bent it somewhat.

Nope I didn't have to bend the bottom mounting tab at all, but I did have to kind of bend the main shape of the overall guard slightly just from shipping so that it mounted flush, not a big deal at all though it's very flexible. Great product IMO.  :thumbs: