Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 302966 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #940 on: July 08, 2017, 05:59:23 AM »
It is true!  And I just saw that South Park episode (again) this week!  Oblivion was a PERFECT example of that, and made many years after that South Park episode :)

Critics slammed Oblivion as not being original enough.  I didn't care.  I thought the story and the execution of it was just fantastic.  Mysterious, engaging, thoughtful, emotional, creative, chilling, active, just great!  The incredibly good visuals, sound, cinematography, and acting, were all just icing on the cake.

Everyone I know who likes Sci-Fi loved the movie, and yet Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 53%, 5.9/10???  I learned years ago that Rotten Tomatoes lives up to its own name.  About the only thing they seem to love are stupid, artsy-fartsy foreign films.  Whatever.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #941 on: July 08, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Tom Cruise is crazy, but I don't think there is a single film he has been in I didn't really like.  My 5 favorites of his, are, in order:

Interview with the Vampire
Oblivion
Vanilla Sky
Top Gun
Mission Impossible (first one)

He's a good actor. I don't know him personally so I can't comment on that part.

I really enjoyed War of The Worlds.

My wife and I were browsing for something new to watch on Netflix yesterday and found a series from 2007 called Shooter. It's only one season and it was so good that we almost finished it off last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/     :thumbs:

A marksman living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the President. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on the run to find the real killer and the reason he was set up.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #942 on: July 10, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
He's a good actor. I don't know him personally so I can't comment on that part.

I really enjoyed War of The Worlds.

My wife and I were browsing for something new to watch on Netflix yesterday and found a series from 2007 called Shooter. It's only one season and it was so good that we almost finished it off last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/     :thumbs:

A marksman living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the President. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on the run to find the real killer and the reason he was set up.

Based on an outstanding series of books by Stephen Hunter as was the movie with Mark Walberg.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #943 on: July 10, 2017, 08:54:16 AM »
Just finished watching Season 1 & 2 of Dark Matter  and up to speed (in UK terms, episode 6 tonight) with season 3

Wouldnt say it was brilliant but eminently watchable :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline motonerd14

• Arena
  • Nerd & Ziggy
« Reply #944 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
Just finished watching Season 1 & 2 of Dark Matter  and up to speed (in UK terms, episode 6 tonight) with season 3

Wouldnt say it was brilliant but eminently watchable :)

I watch that show purely for the android. No interest whatsoever in the human characters.  8)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #945 on: July 11, 2017, 12:38:38 AM »
I watch that show purely for the android. No interest whatsoever in the human characters.  8)

and Two :D
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #946 on: July 16, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
Binge watching Game of Thrones 6 in prep for 7.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
Binge watching Game of Thrones 6 in prep for 7.

I don't have HBO :(  I really like GOT.
Hopefully my friend will invite me over to watch it when it comes out, if he still has HBO :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Better put on your dancing shoes, the next season starts tonight.

Brian

I don't have HBO :(  I really like GOT.
Hopefully my friend will invite me over to watch it when it comes out, if he still has HBO :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #949 on: July 17, 2017, 07:09:06 AM »
The Crown.  Love John Lithgow in character.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Conrad

« Reply #950 on: July 17, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
Finished up season 1 of Shooter on Netflix.

Damn good!!!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #951 on: July 23, 2017, 04:10:29 AM »
Second hand report: My son went to see Dunkirk yesterday and gave it his highest compliment: "I would have paid to see that!". Which he did of course but often regrets..... sometimes he claims a movie was good enough to watch and maybe even good enough to pay for but not $12 in US dollars.  ;)

I suspect most here, being old as most of us are, know the story well enough. I think that makes the movie even better because you know how it ends when you walk into the theater so it has to be better by at leas 15% than any 'surprise' movie. For those are not familiar with this event, I guess I would say it was certainly not a victory for the British but through sheer determination and tenacity not only by their armed forces but their entire population, they certainly prevented it from being the defeat and disaster it surely seemed to be and almost did become. And perhaps, given the next few years and all that followed and was allowed to happen because of this specific event, maybe it was a victory, perhaps even the first spark in a chain of events that would become an amazing victory.

The event became the cause of one of Winnie's (Winston Churchill, the politician named after Mikey's dog.....  ;)  ;D ) most motivating and famous speeches, one of three fantastic speeches given in a roughly one- month period, one of the most intense in British history IMO, since he had become Prime Minister. The first was the "Blood, toil, tears and sweat" speech, followed by the "Wh shall fight on the beaches" speech, perhaps my personal favorite considering the time and circumstances in which it was given, and this one about Dunkirk that ends with....

"What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over ... the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilisation. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.

But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour."

This film Dunkirk is about what may well have been their finest hour.

By the way, it seems to be an all- British production, just like the event that it depicts; written and directed by Christopher Nolan and starring (among many others of course) Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy.... hey, it even has an Attenborough (yep, his grandson) in it.

Aw hell, now I want to go see it... and I do not go to movie theaters!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #952 on: July 23, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »

The event became the cause of one of Winnie's (Winston Churchill, the politician named after Mikey's dog.....  ;)  ;D ) most motivating and famous speeches,

Winston sounds so much better said in a strong Jamaican accent :)

Win stahhhhhn !!!!
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #953 on: July 23, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
Not sure but I do not think anyone mentioned Westworld yet. So.... watched Westworld, season1 and liked it a lot. Slow but it went somewhere, and I think it was actually excellent once the viewer gets in synch. with it.

Great cast, including Anthony Hopkins, but others were excellent as well. And of course Ed Harris who usually ranges from excellent to outstanding; he was excellent in this series, maybe a little better  ;D. The surprise for me was an actor named Jeffrey Wright; I had seen him before only in Boardwalk Empire and so really did not know much about the gentleman. He was excellent in Westworld and a central character with a twist or two.

The series is based on the original movie from the 70's but much, much better IMO. Looks like there will be a season 2 but I do not know if it will turn into a multi- year series or not. Still, season 1 is worth watching just for itself IMO. And besides, it has Anthony Hopkins doing what he does best I think.... He will not be in season 2 but season 1 makes that obvious (not to give too much away).

Brian

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #954 on: July 23, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
Have to agree, Westworld was most excellent.

One I've just finished watching (as a box set) is "You, Me and the Apocalypse" about a group of people seeing out the last hours of earth in a bunker beneath Slough.

Some very interesting views on the Catholic Church and American Government amongst other things
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #955 on: July 24, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »
I also watched Dunkirk this weekend. Outstanding!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #956 on: July 24, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
Still trying to track this one down (You, Me and the Apocalypse). Funny thing is that it got excellent ratings and was cancelled. ?? What is up with that?

Your (UK) system of using broadcasting is different than ours (US). Ours is basically open, free- market (read: capitalism) with all the good and bad that comes with it. But that said, our system makes sense on an intuitive level of what will be renewed / last vs. your system, which I have never been able to figure out. Popular shows in the UK disappear, or have some episodes here and there while other, less popular shows seem to live on. A good example of this was the recent The Killing: good show (or great show), great ratings and yet it was like pulling teeth to finish the series, and even then it was with a short last season. ?? Here, that series would go on until all merit was beaten from it and it was terrible. Granted, not the best alternative but perhaps we would have gotten 3,4 or maybe even more good, solid seasons out of it before it turned sour... and then 2 or 3 (OK, maybe 5) more seasons and it would be cancelled.  ;D

Brian

Have to agree, Westworld was most excellent.

One I've just finished watching (as a box set) is "You, Me and the Apocalypse" about a group of people seeing out the last hours of earth in a bunker beneath Slough.

Some very interesting views on the Catholic Church and American Government amongst other things

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #957 on: July 24, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
No idea why it didn't get a second seasonbut then again if I was to be honest (and I'm trying hard not to spoil it) the story didn't really justify a second  or third season.

Sometimes things are better left in the right place. (Ok moved onto films but...)

Take Steven Spielbergs A.I , Im sorry it didn't need the schmalzy ending meeting his mum again in an alien spacecraft. That film should have ended with him finding the Blue Fairy.

The Bicentennial Man is a brilliant film but it would be a travesty if they ever tried making a second one

Back on TV, Would Fawlty Towers be as good if they had kept flogging away at it?

Gavin & Stacey is another one that has probably ended at the right place after 3 seasons

Still trying to track this one down (You, Me and the Apocalypse). Funny thing is that it got excellent ratings and was cancelled. ?? What is up with that?

Your (UK) system of using broadcasting is different than ours (US). Ours is basically open, free- market (read: capitalism) with all the good and bad that comes with it. But that said, our system makes sense on an intuitive level of what will be renewed / last vs. your system, which I have never been able to figure out. Popular shows in the UK disappear, or have some episodes here and there while other, less popular shows seem to live on. A good example of this was the recent The Killing: good show (or great show), great ratings and yet it was like pulling teeth to finish the series, and even then it was with a short last season. ?? Here, that series would go on until all merit was beaten from it and it was terrible. Granted, not the best alternative but perhaps we would have gotten 3,4 or maybe even more good, solid seasons out of it before it turned sour... and then 2 or 3 (OK, maybe 5) more seasons and it would be cancelled.  ;D

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #958 on: July 25, 2017, 01:35:00 AM »
But that is my entire point: we run things into the ground here, as long as there is any profit left. Way past the point of good taste and usually even past the point of any  point or dignity.  ;) ;D Seriously, the shows that 'go out on top' are almost always the result of one or two people deciding to stop but bucking absolutely everyone else in the effort. I cannot remember exactly but I think they offered Jerry Seinfeld $50 / year for "one more" season of his show but he refused.

Of course I have not seen it but it sounds like You, me and the Apocalypse is more like a mini- series, and yep, those do and should have an ending. Unless they also have high profits, then.... well, see above.

Still working on it BTW and looking for a delivery method. I have found streaming sources but so far, limited to the computer and I am not going to watch that much TV on my computer. Looks like it <may> be available from the original network here- will check as I <think> I can get that on Apple TV; not sure of the cost but it will not be free (because even if provided at no actual monetary cost, it will contain some form of punishment such as commercials, etc.). Given thsi effort, there is no a lot riding on your reputation here Mike.  ;) ;D :P

Brian

No idea why it didn't get a second seasonbut then again if I was to be honest (and I'm trying hard not to spoil it) the story didn't really justify a second  or third season.

Sometimes things are better left in the right place. (Ok moved onto films but...)

Take Steven Spielbergs A.I , Im sorry it didn't need the schmalzy ending meeting his mum again in an alien spacecraft. That film should have ended with him finding the Blue Fairy.

The Bicentennial Man is a brilliant film but it would be a travesty if they ever tried making a second one

Back on TV, Would Fawlty Towers be as good if they had kept flogging away at it?

Gavin & Stacey is another one that has probably ended at the right place after 3 seasons

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #959 on: July 25, 2017, 01:53:51 AM »
Believe it was a Joint venture between NBC & Sky and yes mini series probably describes it very well

Consider it a cross between Armageddon, The Da Vinci Code and The Office  ;)

But that is my entire point: we run things into the ground here, as long as there is any profit left. Way past the point of good taste and usually even past the point of any  point or dignity.  ;) ;D Seriously, the shows that 'go out on top' are almost always the result of one or two people deciding to stop but bucking absolutely everyone else in the effort. I cannot remember exactly but I think they offered Jerry Seinfeld $50 / year for "one more" season of his show but he refused.

Of course I have not seen it but it sounds like You, me and the Apocalypse is more like a mini- series, and yep, those do and should have an ending. Unless they also have high profits, then.... well, see above.

Still working on it BTW and looking for a delivery method. I have found streaming sources but so far, limited to the computer and I am not going to watch that much TV on my computer. Looks like it <may> be available from the original network here- will check as I <think> I can get that on Apple TV; not sure of the cost but it will not be free (because even if provided at no actual monetary cost, it will contain some form of punishment such as commercials, etc.). Given thsi effort, there is no a lot riding on your reputation here Mike.  ;) ;D :P

Brian
--