Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303048 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #960 on: July 25, 2017, 02:01:22 AM »
Ah, The Office (the American version- watched the original Brit. version and there is too much cultural difference for it to 'work' for me, most of the subtle nuances are just missed on my end), one of the few shows I had to pause and regain my composure before continuing. And an excellent reference to our beating a thing to death: after Michael left the show, it literally wandered around looking for a point. But while the ratings fell off, they did not fall down and so producing and airing it was still profitable. Dismal but profitable.

I am actively perusing the other series and will find it before long.

Brian

Believe it was a Joint venture between NBC & Sky and yes mini series probably describes it very well

Consider it a cross between Armageddon, The Da Vinci Code and The Office  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #961 on: July 25, 2017, 03:53:49 AM »
Ozark on Netflix.

Another damn good series from Netflix! 8.9/10 rating on IMDB.

The casting is perfect. If you've even spent any time in that area you'll know what I mean...

! No longer available
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #962 on: July 25, 2017, 04:05:03 AM »
I've been waiting for this for a LONG time.

The Dark Tower is my fav book series and I've read it three times over the years. Might even have to go to the theater to see it.

! No longer available

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #963 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #964 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:36 AM »
Never read it myself but my D-I-L is a big fan of the series.

I have read a fair amount of his work and find a lot of it makes a great book but the jump into movies is very spotty. One of my favorite books of King's is The Stand but that made a really pretty lousy film (mini- series actually).

Hopefully this one is on the positive side.

Brian

The Dark Tower is my fav book series and I've read it three times over the years. Might even have to go to the theater to see it.

! No longer available
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #965 on: July 25, 2017, 07:18:55 AM »
OK, got the series. Watched episode 1 and just a smidgen of 2. Interesting and a black comedy, which are often excellent. Will finish the set and see where this goes....

BTW: I absolutely did not recognize Megan Mullally! And I am usually good with face recognition; an excellent job of altering her appearance as well as her voice.

Brian

Have to agree, Westworld was most excellent.

One I've just finished watching (as a box set) is "You, Me and the Apocalypse" about a group of people seeing out the last hours of earth in a bunker beneath Slough.

Some very interesting views on the Catholic Church and American Government amongst other things

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #966 on: July 25, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »

! No longer available

I'm a fan of Stephen King in general and think his non-supernatural books are fantastic. The Body, Deloris Claiborne, The Shawshank Redemption are all top notch and the movie adaptations are also good IMO. The Shawshank Redemption in particular was a fantastic book and movie. After hearing about and seeing the trailer for this movie, I bought the first book in the series. I couldn't get through it. It just moves too slow. It's like watching a snail move toward a salt pit. You know it's doomed and there might be some drama when it gets there but I'm just not interested in waiting 10 hours for it to get there. I hope the movie is better because I will probably go see it.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #967 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »
a good start then :)

(and yes an impressive transformation)

OK, got the series. Watched episode 1 and just a smidgen of 2. Interesting and a black comedy, which are often excellent. Will finish the set and see where this goes....

BTW: I absolutely did not recognize Megan Mullally! And I am usually good with face recognition; an excellent job of altering her appearance as well as her voice.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #968 on: July 25, 2017, 11:01:46 AM »
The man has written some good books and some of them have been made into excellent movies, as you mention with The Shawshank Redemption (with Morgan Freeman along to explain the movie to us....). I sometimes think there should be a third category between 'regular' and 'supernatural', maybe regular supernatural? What I mean is that some of his works have a supernatural thread but it is not the main thrust of the story; both The Green Mile and one I really like, Needful Things for example. Both are based on some outside power but it is not the point of the story at all, the point in both is human action and reaction to adversity and stressful situations. The supernatural part is the spark or impetus but not the key to the movie in any way.

And to expand on it a bit, I think Needful Things is a great movie; Max Von Sydow (he alone can make a movie worth watching ), Ed Harris, Bonnie Bedelia, the late J.T. Walsh and a host of other, excellent cast members. Well worth the 1 1/2 hours out of one's life IMO, and far better than three episodes of almost anything that would be watched otherwise.

Brian

I'm a fan of Stephen King in general and think his non-supernatural books are fantastic. The Body, Deloris Claiborne, The Shawshank Redemption are all top notch and the movie adaptations are also good IMO. The Shawshank Redemption in particular was a fantastic book and movie. After hearing about and seeing the trailer for this movie, I bought the first book in the series. I couldn't get through it. It just moves too slow. It's like watching a snail move toward a salt pit. You know it's doomed and there might be some drama when it gets there but I'm just not interested in waiting 10 hours for it to get there. I hope the movie is better because I will probably go see it.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #969 on: July 25, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
"I Saw The Light", a film about Hank Williams rise to fame and how it was difficult for him and those around him. A decent movie with all his music played and sung by the Brit actor who portrays him.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #970 on: July 26, 2017, 01:57:04 AM »
watched the latest Apes film (War for the Planet of the Apes)  last night, brilliant :)

--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #971 on: July 26, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »

Yeah, the snail does take it's time but it is well worth the read.

If you really want to start at the beginning you'll need to read Eyes of The Dragon first. The Talisman (co written with Peter Straub) has some parallel elements too, as does Black House. 

King's book to movie history isn't very good. But there were some good flicks made. The Shinning was one of the best along with those you mentioned.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #972 on: July 26, 2017, 06:27:01 AM »
Yeah, the snail does take it's time but it is well worth the read.

If you really want to start at the beginning you'll need to read Eyes of The Dragon first. The Talisman (co written with Peter Straub) has some parallel elements too, as does Black House. 

King's book to movie history isn't very good. But there were some good flicks made. The Shinning was one of the best along with those you mentioned.

Maybe I'll give Eyes of The Dragon a try. I started with The Gunslinger and I just checked on my Kindle, I never got past 19%.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #973 on: July 26, 2017, 08:21:40 PM »
Well, at episode 6 I think and I still like it, perhaps a lot but it is going a bit fast. I may have to watch it again to catch a few of the finer points. It certainly is complex, especially after all the different tentacles start to meld together.

A very nice change from the more main stream programming. And I am finding the mix of Brit. and American characters interesting also.

Brian

Have to agree, Westworld was most excellent.

One I've just finished watching (as a box set) is "You, Me and the Apocalypse" about a group of people seeing out the last hours of earth in a bunker beneath Slough.

Some very interesting views on the Catholic Church and American Government amongst other things

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #974 on: July 26, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »
phew, I can breathe a sigh of relief ;)

I liked the subtle way the opening sequence changed each episode to reflect whats happened/tease you on what's coming

Well, at episode 6 I think and I still like it, perhaps a lot but it is going a bit fast. I may have to watch it again to catch a few of the finer points. It certainly is complex, especially after all the different tentacles start to meld together.

A very nice change from the more main stream programming. And I am finding the mix of Brit. and American characters interesting also.

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #975 on: July 27, 2017, 02:55:47 AM »
 :rotflmao:   Yeah well, I was not really holding you responsible anyway....

Yes, the show has something like three stages to the beginning.

It is fast- paced, complex and gets progressively more complex as it unfolds. Everyone is related to / knows / is connected to everyone else, and while it starts with a large cast, the number of active, involved cast members keeps increasing. Very unusual for TV which is always based on a core group with far less important 'assistant' level characters. I have stopped watching this in late evening 'cause between falling asleep and having to back up and generally being groggy, it just is not working. And I do think it is pretty good and requires more attention to work, which is fine with me. Gilligan's Island requires no attention but there is no reward for the viewer either.

Brian

I liked the subtle way the opening sequence changed each episode to reflect whats happened/tease you on what's coming

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #976 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
"Davehasatinywinkie"  ;D  Finished it. I think it was very good and just sideways enough to be interesting but not excessive or ridiculous.

And of course it did not end the way I expected it to end even 15 seconds before the end.....

Brian

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #977 on: July 28, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
The more I think about it the happier I am they didn't decide to do a second series :)

And yes, it kept you on your toes.

"Davehasatinywinkie"  ;D  Finished it. I think it was very good and just sideways enough to be interesting but not excessive or ridiculous.

And of course it did not end the way I expected it to end even 15 seconds before the end.....

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #978 on: July 28, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
Did any of you guys watch the recent reworking of the Oz story ?

Emerald City

I really enjoyed that
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #979 on: July 29, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
I liked that as well.  Unfortunately it was cancelled.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.