Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303447 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »
Just finished watching the last episode of the series 'Episodes'; it was the series finale.

Overall, pretty good IMO. Amusing to watch someone you think you know (Matt Leblanc as Joey Tribianni) behave so badly and use all the language available. The whole series was about excess really. Not great but certainly better than a lot of stuff I have watched before, and I fear better than a lot of stuff I will watch in the future also.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2017, 01:29:42 PM »
Finished season 3 of Dark Matter. "B" level sci-fi series on Netflix. Never going to win any awards but I found it entertaining. You should definitely watch from the beginning or it won't make any sense.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1102 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Maybe he cannot answer right now?

Brian

Sorry, was tied up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1103 on: October 19, 2017, 05:59:44 PM »
Watched 'Churchill', 'The Zookeeper's Wife', 'Deepwater Horizon' and 'The man with the iron heart'.

Churchill: Well made flick and Brian Cox was surprisingly good in the title role. I would give it a 3 1/2 out of 5, or a little more for those not being sticklers for history.

The Zookeeper's Wife: OK flick, did not really do it for me.

Deepwater Horizon: Well made but very formulaic movie. Kurt Russel is good as a main character. Again, 3 1/2 out of 5; not a bad movie, just not really close to being a great one.

The man with the iron heart: This one is tough for me because I have studied the main character for quite a while and I do not think they really portrayed him correctly. Reinhard Heydrich was far more complex than this movie makes him out to be. Also it is somewhat inaccurate historically, again probably not something that would bother most people but I find the actual story is more than riveting enough. Anyway, 4 out of 5 and maybe a tad more. Caveat Emptor though: this is a dark, disturbing movie not because of any film content but because it portrays one of the most gruesome periods of history and one of the absolutely most individually terrifying people of all time. For those not familiar, Reinhard Heydrich was the author of 'The Final Solution' to "The Jewish Problem" in the Third Reich, as well as a very high ranking leader of several facets of the most sinister parts of the worst behavior of WWII. The movie makes lays out a path of this man's life that makes sense to most people probably but it is inaccurate; in reality, Heydrich was an intelligent, able, conscientious, driven, affable, overall 'good guy' who orchestrated some of the worst atrocities in human history. When one digs a little bit into Ted Bundy, one finds a monster; when digging into Reinhard Heydrich as far as I have been able to do so, one finds a 'good and decent' human with far better than average abilities. Maybe the closest thing to a real- life Hannibal Lecter.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1104 on: October 21, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
Watched 'The Girl on the Train'. Unfortunately, I was also sampling a pretty good Riesling that night. So I cannot give my impression of this film because I do not really have any and frankly, the movie did not make any sense at all to me.

The Riesling (Chateau Ste. Michelle) though, was actually very good and even more so for a cheap wine. I highly recommend it.But not while watching 'The Girl on the Train', and especially not while watching, at least for the first or second time, 'The Usual Suspects' 'cause that will just put jumbled thoughts into your mind and detract from the wine. In fact, I would suggest a clear mind, uber attention and perhaps a pad and pen for watching 'The Usual Suspects'; even that was not enough for Roger Ebert, he honestly admitted he could not follow the movie. Perhaps he was sampling something while watching that movie also?

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1105 on: October 21, 2017, 03:53:35 PM »
Watched 'The Girl on the Train'. Unfortunately, I was also sampling a pretty good Riesling that night. So I cannot give my impression of this film because I do not really have any and frankly, the movie did not make any sense at all to me.

The Riesling (Chateau Ste. Michelle) though, was actually very good and even more so for a cheap wine. I highly recommend it.But not while watching 'The Girl on the Train', and especially not while watching, at least for the first or second time, 'The Usual Suspects' 'cause that will just put jumbled thoughts into your mind and detract from the wine. In fact, I would suggest a clear mind, uber attention and perhaps a pad and pen for watching 'The Usual Suspects'; even that was not enough for Roger Ebert, he honestly admitted he could not follow the movie. Perhaps he was sampling something while watching that movie also?

Brian

That was another one of those books I tried to read but just couldn't get through it. As a result I passed on the movie.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1106 on: October 21, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
Well, I just did not 'get it'. And honestly, I have no urge to watch it again in the hope that I do get it and it is a decent movie. Too few heartbeats left to waste them on that kind of stuff..... :-)

Brian

That was another one of those books I tried to read but just couldn't get through it. As a result I passed on the movie.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1107 on: October 22, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
Blade Runner 2049
Not for everyone, but now in my top 10 movies of all time.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1108 on: October 24, 2017, 03:50:28 AM »
Blade Runner 2049
Not for everyone, but now in my top 10 movies of all time.

Really? It seems that the critics don't share your opinion. I'll check it out when it's on dvd.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1109 on: October 24, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
If you didn't enjoy the first one, don't bother watching this one.
Its long, slow, artsy, but I loved it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1110 on: October 24, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
I have not seen it yet but my son did and suggested waiting until it was free. :-) 

The question of good / bad / fantastic / horrible is always in the user's mind. There are some films that are always in the 'All- time top 50' or 'All- time top 100' that I have never been able to watch all the way through, never mind find them great or even good movies- they were unwatchable IMO. So the greatness of anything that is interpreted is always subjective (not aimed at you Brent, just commenting on the various opinions on the same film).

And it works both ways: I did not find Waterworld to be the horrible waste of celluloid that most apparently did. It was not great IMO but certainly watchable and not a bad flick, overall, again IMO but it got pummeled by both critics as well as the public, who stayed away in droves.

Brian

If you didn't enjoy the first one, don't bother watching this one.
Its long, slow, artsy, but I loved it.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1111 on: October 24, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
No worries, I don't mind you not liking the same movies as me, I just don't like those who get personal for their own opinions which hasn't happened here by the way.

On a side note, I liked Waterworld too.

Lastly, I'm watching Ozark on Netflix and it's great so far.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1112 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »
I liked Waterworld and Ozark is very well done! If you've ever been in that area you'd know that they hit the nail right on the head with that one. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1113 on: October 24, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »
Sounds very much like I'm watching the same documentary on the BBC at the moment.

First episode goes right back to the start of the problems there back in the mid 40's

(Being the BBC each of the 10 episodes is only 55 minutes long ;)  )

EDIT: Yes it is, just checked the credits

Anybody else tuning into Ken Burns' Vietnam tonight? His productions have often been excellent and some outstanding; not sure if enough time has passed for any American to revisit Vietnam with a fair eye but I have been waiting for this one to see if Mr. Burns can apply a fair and even hand.

Peter Coyote is narrating this one so that is a plus, at least IMO. David McCullough would have been even better but now in his mid- 80's, he has not narrated anything in some years, though he is active here and there as a guest historian.

It starts tonight and per the usual Burns documentary, runs on and off for the next 10 days or so; 10 episodes totaling 18 hours.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1114 on: October 24, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
I do not want to give it away but it does not turn out well for the French or us (U.S.).

Ken Burns is a very well known documentary maker on this side of the pond and his work is usually outstanding. Perhaps his magnum opus was The Civil War, which was distributed in the UK as The American Civil War, I had an English friend who watched it. But many of his pieces are excellent and well worth watching IMO.

Yeah, our (again, the U.S.) involvement started in the 1940's but the root problem goes much further back when IndoChina was colonized and shortly thereafter, some local did not care for that and became a nationalist. This is always how these things play out, some go more smoothly than others but the path is always the same: Country A occupies Country B, someone in or from Country B loudly points out that Country A should not be there in the first place and the unrest in Country B grows. Country B rarely, if ever, gains the actual ability to eject Country A but they do gain enough traction that Country A finds it just not worth the cost anymore (monetary, bodies, national focus, etc.) and packs off. Most first- world countries have gone through this either as a colonial power or in the act of 'maintaining the line' against a larger enemy, real or imagined.

It is tough to view it in those terms if it is one's own country playing the part of either Country A or Country B, and I was wary of Burns doing an even- handed job with Vietnam so soon after our involvement but I think he did it quite well. At least that is my opinion viewed in the cold light of day and history and trying to put my own personal feelings, memories, and outright biasing aside. The whole thing, at least the 'war' part occurred in my lifetime and so I believe my own views are no doubt tainted but I do try to look at it in a detached way, and believe that documentary did very well considering the film maker is an American, also lived through the period, and seems to have a definite political cast (meaning he absolutely leans 'left' or 'right' politically) in general.

As a Brit., you may have a different view and perhaps are less biased going into it, and I would be curious as to your view of the series.

Brian

Sounds very much like I'm watching the same documentary on the BBC at the moment.

First episode goes right back to the start of the problems there back in the mid 40's

(Being the BBC each of the 10 episodes is only 55 minutes long ;)  )

EDIT: Yes it is, just checked the credits

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1115 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Aye more than  got that impression already and I'm only on Episode 3 (watching on iPlayer [catchup])

Think thats enough for one night, late here :)

I do not want to give it away but it does not turn out well for the French or us (U.S.).

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1116 on: November 01, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
Rizolli & Isles, a Female cop drama aimed at a more female audience, it ran from about 2009 to just a few years back, its not bad, it has D-Day From "Animal House" and Sasha Alexander who was Kate on NCIS in it so it can't be all that bad.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1117 on: November 01, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
Battlebots
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1118 on: November 02, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Battlebots is awesome, however Giant Robot Duel is some of the most stupid TV ever.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1119 on: November 02, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
Stranger Things 2 on Netflix. Clearly made for kids but I find it entertaining. I'm 62 going on 12.