Author Topic: 2001 connie rider  (Read 3451 times)

Offline rrman1

• rode 75 z1 900 100k+ miles. love this 2001 C10
    • jim
2001 connie rider
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »
rode 75 Z1F over 100k from 75 to 86 to work every day. 27 mi.  rode in one day 15 degrees, knowing it would warm up. 5 degrees coming home. would've been fine but stopped to look at something on bike and was froze when i got home.     riding one day on I75 south of chatt tn, came up to van in left lane slightly behind semi in right. only two vehicles around. waited for van to move over, when it didnt, pulled around van then in front of it next to semi. soon as i did semi started coming over on me.  kicked it into 2nd, pulled over on 3 foot ribbon of asphalt to left of left lane and opened it up, just barely getting by front wheel of semi coming toward me.  good thing i was unarmed that day.  would have done something stupid.  never saw either vehicle before, did nothing to incite.  they just thought that would be fun. 
     2 months after i bought the above bike, the honda goldwing came out in august.  the goldwing was actually more the type bike i was seeking when i bought the Z1.  always wondered if i should have gone that route.   Z1 cam tensioner caused bike to jump time twice and get valves, but cant complain about life of engine can i?  i gave bike away few yrs back w bent valves after it sat in outbuilding for many yrs.  didnt know at time that parts and engines were so available still for this bike, at least they were when i let it go. 
     the Z1 was king of the road powerwise in 75 and alot of fun to ride, my first big bike, honda 450 before.  went thru alot of tires on it.  finally tried a harley tire after i had a 16 rim put on rear, to try to get more than 5k miles out of a rear tire.
     was fortunate enough to never lay it down or get a scratch on me riding.   did have a tire go flat fast going 90 mph north of atlanta at midnight.  i started applying the rear brake gently and got it off the road w/o dropping it as rear end was moving side to side as tire flipped i guess.  for years after that i could suddenly "feel" the rear end going from side to side as it had that night and the hair would stand up on my neck from the fear and remembering the experience. 
     no bike since 1986 so i am loving riding again. lots of great rides in my area close by.  like the 25 cent coffee in flat rock alabama. havent seen that in awhile.  a HUGH cup for under a dollar(LARGE coke cup).
     in process of acquiring engine for my connie as it developed a bent rod after i put 2500 miles on it. had 4995 when i bought it earlier this year.  will have carb drains on new engine so hopefully no repeat of problem.
     saw in a magazine a remake of the Z! by a company that upgraded the bike w/o changing the look at all.   it was gorgeous.   very expensive, but a great looking bike.  had forgotten what a clean sleek look it had.

dying to get back out.   thanks for a great forum and all the help w my bike.
the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love

Offline MrPepsi

Re: 2001 connie rider
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:12:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:03:07 PM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 04:32:37 AM »
rrman 1, welcome to the forum and apologies for missing this introduction post back in October.  :-[

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:13 AM »
I'll second that rrman1.
Normally new guys introductions are promptly replied to.

Not sure how your set there since October.
But,,, welcome to the Forum.
Making any progress on your bike?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
rode 75 Z1F over 100k from 75 to 86 to work every day. 27 mi.  rode in one day 15 degrees, knowing it would warm up. 5 degrees coming home. would've been fine but stopped to look at something on bike and was froze when i got home.     riding one day on I75 south of chatt tn, came up to van in left lane slightly behind semi in right. only two vehicles around. waited for van to move over, when it didnt, pulled around van then in front of it next to semi. soon as i did semi started coming over on me.  kicked it into 2nd, pulled over on 3 foot ribbon of asphalt to left of left lane and opened it up, just barely getting by front wheel of semi coming toward me.  good thing i was unarmed that day.  would have done something stupid.  never saw either vehicle before, did nothing to incite.  they just thought that would be fun. 
     2 months after i bought the above bike, the honda goldwing came out in august.  the goldwing was actually more the type bike i was seeking when i bought the Z1.  always wondered if i should have gone that route.   Z1 cam tensioner caused bike to jump time twice and get valves, but cant complain about life of engine can i?  i gave bike away few yrs back w bent valves after it sat in outbuilding for many yrs.  didnt know at time that parts and engines were so available still for this bike, at least they were when i let it go. 
     the Z1 was king of the road powerwise in 75 and alot of fun to ride, my first big bike, honda 450 before.  went thru alot of tires on it.  finally tried a harley tire after i had a 16 rim put on rear, to try to get more than 5k miles out of a rear tire.
     was fortunate enough to never lay it down or get a scratch on me riding.   did have a tire go flat fast going 90 mph north of atlanta at midnight.  i started applying the rear brake gently and got it off the road w/o dropping it as rear end was moving side to side as tire flipped i guess.  for years after that i could suddenly "feel" the rear end going from side to side as it had that night and the hair would stand up on my neck from the fear and remembering the experience. 
     no bike since 1986 so i am loving riding again. lots of great rides in my area close by.  like the 25 cent coffee in flat rock alabama. havent seen that in awhile.  a HUGH cup for under a dollar(LARGE coke cup).
     in process of acquiring engine for my connie as it developed a bent rod after i put 2500 miles on it. had 4995 when i bought it earlier this year.  will have carb drains on new engine so hopefully no repeat of problem.
     saw in a magazine a remake of the Z! by a company that upgraded the bike w/o changing the look at all.   it was gorgeous.   very expensive, but a great looking bike.  had forgotten what a clean sleek look it had.

dying to get back out.   thanks for a great forum and all the help w my bike.

Welcome to the forum rrman1. You and I have a lot in common as I still have my original '74 Z-1 with way over 100k miles. To this day it still has the original dual points and clutch, will start with one kick and still likes to boogie. I have been offered more than I paid for it new, but it's part of my DNA now after 40 years. It was king of the road with Kerker 4 into 1 headers and was challenged almost every day by the remaining muscle cars of the '70's. It was a sad day when it was finally bested by a KZ1000. 

Offline rrman1

• rode 75 z1 900 100k+ miles. love this 2001 C10
    • jim
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »
thanks for replies!
connie14boy........would love to see your Z1.  should've kept mine perhaps.  didnt know at the time how available parts were for it, engines etc.  that bike was a blast at the time.  would love to have one of those remakes but what a price, 20k plus i think.  jim
the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »
rrman- My Z-1 is at rest in Upstate N.Y. for the season. I've been told to keep it original even though it could use a thorough going over after 40 years on the road. The Japanese and Chinese are paying large amounts of loot for Z-1A's, B's and the original 750 Hondas. The biggest money goes for the '73 Z-1A with roller crank and rod bearings, and hollow camshafts- that was a screamer and worth a ton today.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:38 AM »
Welcome rrman1! Still hade my 1973 Z1 from 1976 till late last year! A collector made me an offer I just could not refuse, so sadly not in the garage anymore. Don't miss the "Kawasaki bum jive" through the corners though...lol.