Author Topic: If it's going over make sure a LEO see's it.  (Read 5135 times)

Offline ironmanmatt

• Ironman Canada 89,91,94,96, USA 2000, Florida 2001
If it's going over make sure a LEO see's it.
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Short story - My bike went over on its side along the side of a major highway.

Long story - So, my brother in-law and I are 30 miles into our SaddleSore 1000 ride this past Thursday, May 17th.  We’re cruising down the highway about 5:30am (still dark) when I noticed flashing blue lights in my mirror.  I pulled over onto the shoulder of the highway when I could.  My brother in-law pulls over ahead of us figuring the ride will be over when I’m carted off to jail.  The LEO stated we caught his attention because my lights...Clearwater Glendas.  From where was stationed along the highway it thought I was car until I pasted him and he couldn’t believe it was a motorcycle.  He also thought I was riding a BMW and I had to correct him that the C-14 I was on is a much better ride and much less expensive.  So, we spent 20 minutes talking about motorcycles than anything else.  No infractions, no laws broken...just admiring a very cool motorcycle and three guys who like to ride.  I had remained on the bike the entire time and after about 15 minutes talking I shifted my weight on the bike and with the slope of the road shoulder allowed a slow but embarrassing tip over.  Fortunately, the Top Block protectors and the MC Enterprise small rear bag protectors did their jobs sustaining only minor scraps on both. 

I regain my composure we said our goodbyes, the officer wished us luck on the ride and off we went to complete the ride.

Lastly, the officer stated the State of Missouri has a vague regulation regarding motorcycle lights.  Apparently, the regulation states a motorcycle can only have one main light and one auxiliary light.  He just wanted me to know it exists...I’m keeping the lights.
If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
2011 Kawasaki C14 (equipped with an ACME thermonuclear linear accelerator designed by Wile E. Coyote)
COG Member #10,000, Ironbutt member

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: If it's going over make sure a LEO see's it.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
Sorry she went over bro, good thing you had the Top Block to protect her!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
I got pulled over one day for merging in front of a Squad car....no seriously!  :o

The guy was just driving and the two lane road merged and he was  just behind me. He stopped me just to tell me that he didn't ever want to see me get in front of a Squad car again...but he mentioned at first he thought I was LEO due to the "bars" he saw on my bike. Later I found out the local Sheriff's Dept. bought a bunch of them.

The law for lights in your area is just as stupid! There's no way in hell I'd remove one of my headlights or aux lights for that.  :nuts:
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
Lastly, the officer stated the State of Missouri has a vague regulation regarding motorcycle lights.  Apparently, the regulation states a motorcycle can only have one main light and one auxiliary light. 
That must be why sales of H-D cruisers are not great in Missouri.  Too many lights in front...  :)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline TRBN

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »
Lastly, the officer stated the State of Missouri has a vague regulation regarding motorcycle lights.  Apparently, the regulation states a motorcycle can only have one main light and one auxiliary light.  He just wanted me to know it exists...I’m keeping the lights.

This is incorrect.  In Missouri, up to 2 main headlamps and 3 auxiliary lights.

From http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000045.HTM  "Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two approved headlamps."

and

From http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3070000080.HTM  "Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed three auxiliary lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands."

Aaron

Offline ironmanmatt

• Ironman Canada 89,91,94,96, USA 2000, Florida 2001
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »
Hey, thanks for the research...good stuff.
If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
2011 Kawasaki C14 (equipped with an ACME thermonuclear linear accelerator designed by Wile E. Coyote)
COG Member #10,000, Ironbutt member