Author Topic: how many miles until you hit reserve?  (Read 11728 times)

Offline ugocon

Re: how many miles until you hit reserve?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:34 AM »
Mine displays the "You're running out of f... fuel! What the f... are you waiting to fill me up???" message after an average of 150 miles (yes, around 250KM) with no use of ECO and riding not that fast.
Usally this includes city traffic: if the incidence of it is high I cannot even make the 120 miles.  :-\ (traffic lights are killing me!)
I noticed that if I go on long trips at a fair speed, I can even reach 190 miles.
This is frustrated by the simplest "hard play" with the throttle, increasing dramatically the gas waste!  >:(

It's a heavy and powerful bike!  ::)

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »
Mine comes on "during a road trip" at around 170/175 miles, and I typically fill up around 200/210. I generally have almost a gallon left, so that seems about right to me.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
Mine comes on "during a road trip" at around 170/175 miles, and I typically fill up around 200/210. I generally have almost a gallon left, so that seems about right to me.

Lately, those numbers are just about right for me. I figure I have a 220 mile range if I drag the tank dry during my normal riding experience. When I cruise the speed limit on the super-slab in a group, I can get to 225-240.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Mine displays the "You're running out of f... fuel! What the f... are you waiting to fill me up???" message after an average of 150 miles (yes, around 250KM) with no use of ECO and riding not that fast.
Usally this includes city traffic: if the incidence of it is high I cannot even make the 120 miles.  :-\ (traffic lights are killing me!)
I noticed that if I go on long trips at a fair speed, I can even reach 190 miles.
This is frustrated by the simplest "hard play" with the throttle, increasing dramatically the gas waste!  >:(

It's a heavy and powerful bike!  ::)

Your rear brake is probably stuck.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »
Anyway, I don't think we can compare tire and fuel waste/consumption between US and Europe, Italy in particular.
The riding styles, the kind of roads and the traffic are completely different.
When I read US forums I see people stating that their tires last for more than 50.000 km (Harley Davidson), that in 50 years of riding they never had an accident or that bikes usually known for having "leaky tanks" ;) can pass the Sahara desert no stop for refuelling.
I keep reading this also on some Italian forums where you always meet someone swearing that his bike is capable of 40 km/litre...

If I obviously say "poor guy" to the Italian above because he clearly wants to show off or to be noticed anyway, I can almost believe to what is declared in US because:
- you (generally) ride bikes following cages rules with no accelerations, no quick overtakings, no lane splittings and respecting speed limits of even 25/30 mph or less
- most of you live and/or ride in immense spaces with long straights where a constant (low) speed (usually 55mph) is kept with the slightest use of the throttle: constant rpm's, no accelerations... for miles and miles!
- even in most of the cities, roads are large and straight and traffic flows well at a low speed; traffic lights and stop signals are present and this increases the gas waste but the driving style (for both cars and bikes) is not "nervous" but relaxed, thus accelrations are smooth and gradual with the least possible waste of gas

In Europe instead, and in Italy particularly, the style and the road conditions are completely different
- lot of curves, caotic traffic in cities where you have to be quick, thus accelerating much more
- less respect of speed limits when we are reasonably sure that there are no speed traps around
- bikes are perceived as a "fast" vehicle to avoid car traffic, slowings down and queues, thus almost all rules of driving a cage DO NOT apply: we pass where a car shouldn't, we split lanes, we "infiltrate" in a traffic jam (obviously we respect traffic lights and stops ;) )

Notice that the rules for cars apply exactly to bikes, but bikers risk more and police usually (not always unfortunately  >:( ) considers that breaking a road law for a bike helps to reduce in many cases the traffic jam

If you consider all this you can probably better agree that fuel and tyre wastes on this side of the pond are noticeably higher than those in the US.

:)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 02:04:55 AM »
Anyway, I don't think we can compare tire and fuel waste/consumption between US and Europe, Italy in particular.
The riding styles, the kind of roads and the traffic are completely different.
When I read US forums I see people stating that their tires last for more than 50.000 km (Harley Davidson), that in 50 years of riding they never had an accident or that bikes usually known for having "leaky tanks" ;) can pass the Sahara desert no stop for refuelling.
I keep reading this also on some Italian forums where you always meet someone swearing that his bike is capable of 40 km/litre...

If I obviously say "poor guy" to the Italian above because he clearly wants to show off or to be noticed anyway, I can almost believe to what is declared in US because:
- you (generally) ride bikes following cages rules with no accelerations, no quick overtakings, no lane splittings and respecting speed limits of even 25/30 mph or less
- most of you live and/or ride in immense spaces with long straights where a constant (low) speed (usually 55mph) is kept with the slightest use of the throttle: constant rpm's, no accelerations... for miles and miles!
- even in most of the cities, roads are large and straight and traffic flows well at a low speed; traffic lights and stop signals are present and this increases the gas waste but the driving style (for both cars and bikes) is not "nervous" but relaxed, thus accelrations are smooth and gradual with the least possible waste of gas

In Europe instead, and in Italy particularly, the style and the road conditions are completely different
- lot of curves, caotic traffic in cities where you have to be quick, thus accelerating much more
- less respect of speed limits when we are reasonably sure that there are no speed traps around
- bikes are perceived as a "fast" vehicle to avoid car traffic, slowings down and queues, thus almost all rules of driving a cage DO NOT apply: we pass where a car shouldn't, we split lanes, we "infiltrate" in a traffic jam (obviously we respect traffic lights and stops ;) )

Notice that the rules for cars apply exactly to bikes, but bikers risk more and police usually (not always unfortunately  >:( ) considers that breaking a road law for a bike helps to reduce in many cases the traffic jam

If you consider all this you can probably better agree that fuel and tyre wastes on this side of the pond are noticeably higher than those in the US.

:)

^^^ spot on. I do about 15-20 thousand miles a year, and put at least a third of that in Italy. Your assessment encompasses most of my observations. Although I've never been to the US, I do drive in other big American countries (Brasil, Argentina,...) every now and then, so I know the styles are completely different, and fuel mileage varies hugely.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 04:55:54 AM »
Riding in the UK on some of the most congested roads in Europe I average about 180 miles before the "OH MY GOD!!, YOU NEED PETROL NOW!!!!!!!!!"  ::) warning appears.
I am a heavy guy (160Kg/355lb) and I thrash the crap out of her.
I cruise at 85Mph on Motorways but generally ride at the speed limit anywhere else, maybe a little over.  ;)

Ugo, if you are getting 150 miles to "PLEASE FEED ME! I NEED FEEDING! PETROL! PLEASE GIVE ME PETROL!!!!" then you have one of the following problems.
1 - They fitted the ECU from a race spec ZX10R.  ;D
2 - Your rear brake is dragging quite badly.  :(
3 - Your fuel level sender is badly adjusted. If you fill up as soon as the "LOW FUEL" appears, how many litres until she is full? Also, do you fill the fuel right to the top? If you use the auto-stop when filling then the tank is only half full.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:23 AM »
Right after I fill up it tells me I have 220+ Miles.

After 160 to 180 it says feed me.  The 47 miles per gallon on the dash is just a little off as well.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
I think that it is reasonable to drive about 180 miles at most, maybe a little more (300 km), these routine speeds up the trip, but then, fill it up, rehidration and 10 minutes rest is advisable, don't you? People of my age must be aware of excessive effort...   :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 03:26:08 AM »
HI,to all.
the E mark always at 120miles or less!!!!.....
usually everyday speeding between 160-220 KM/h...
lucky gas station owners!!!!!!!!! :D ;D ;) :)
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »
HI,to all.
the E mark always at 120miles or less!!!!.....
usually everyday speeding between 160-220 KM/h...
lucky gas station owners!!!!!!!!! :D ;D ;) :)

Lucky morticians and Coroners too.......careful pushing your luck at those speeds. :yikes:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
Hi.....
after 19 years and almost 400000kms i think i know the limits for me and my bikes....
after all that's the reason for choosing this bike...take me where i want...fast....safe...and with a big  ;D in my face...!!!!
luck has nothing to do with anything....having a good physical condition,your bike serviced well,and your senses on the road every second....that makes the difference my friend.... :popcorn:
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

Offline danl

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 05:40:44 AM »
180 is around when me low fuel light typically comes on. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on how I've been riding. The farthest I went before filling up was 225 miles, that was a 60mph US highway with minimal traffic and minimal stops/starts for stop lights. 6th gear, 2800 rpm or so.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 06:55:32 AM »
I have an iPhone app that I use to track auto & moto info. Average mpg for me has been 36mpg, best ever was 46mpg. I get to "low fuel" warning at 150mi to 175mi typically.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »
I've got around 63,000 miles on my '08. I usually get the "Low Fuel" indication around 225 miles. I've averaged 45mpg over the last 40k miles or so; my mpg display seems to be accurate.

If I need to hypermile (out West..ex. Riding from Elko to Gabbs, NV and passing up fuel in Battle Mountain), I keep it around 45mph in sixth gear and can get around 50mpg. Most miles ever out of a tank was 321.

BTW, there is fuel in Gabbs, if you're lucky. Pump your own fuel and pay at the cafe across the street.

I've run it close a few times...can't find the pic of the time I got 5.81 gallons in...but this one is quite close.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »
WOW.... talk about hitting fumes!  :yikes:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
Na, when your hitting fumes, it takes 6.15 to 6.19 gallons.  I've done both...
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
Na, when your hitting fumes, it takes 6.15 to 6.19 gallons.  I've done both...

I thought the tank capacity is 5.8 gallons?

Today, this is what I pumped (245 miles). I suspect the pump is not calibrated correctly.

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »
DOLOMOTO, I agree that the pump must be recalibrated, but, after so many miles, I can say that the fuel was superb!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:27:12 AM by CARLÃO »