Author Topic: Soldier shot; gunman enters Canadian parliament, many shots fired  (Read 4175 times)

AlbertaDoug

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Soldier shot; gunman enters Canadian parliament, many shots fired
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
US news reporting multiple shooters, and the US Canadian embassy  is on lock down as a precaution
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
Had a 'Jihadist' run down a couple a soldiers didn't you?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
Had a 'Jihadist' run down a couple a soldiers didn't you?

Impossible. Islam is a peaceful religion, ask Odummer.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
There goes adding Canada to my future touring bucket list.   :o

The last time I was in Canada.  '08 and I felt like I was in a middle eastern country while vacationing in Collingwood.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »
Let's be careful with the political comments...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
There goes adding Canada to my future touring bucket list.   :o

The last time I was in Canada.  '08 and I felt like I was in a middle eastern country while vacationing in Collingwood.

It can (and probably will) happen here, Australia, Europe, etc too

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
Yeah, saw the news. From a friendly neighbor a little to your south, condolences and I hope your whole world does not change too much because of this. But I think it probably will. Ours certainly did (the US) after the events of 2001.

No political commentary here at all, whatsoever: I read that Canada just joined in an alliance against a group in the middle- east and this may be the result of that.

Brian

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKCN0IB1PY20141022
We are in the thick of it now.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
Thanks Brian  :grouphug:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/22/canadian-soldier-shot-outside-of-parliament-hill-timeline-of-events/?__federated=1
Unfortunately our first responders have to bare the brunt of these attacks. My thoughts are with all who serve and protect.
The whole planet change on that tragic date.
No politics but there is a cancer that has formed and needs to be eradicate, the sooner the better.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
Reporting from downtown Ottawa:

We were outside around 9:30 AM and saw lots of interesting vehicles with sirens proceeding towards the Parliament Buildings.

Downtown buildings (I'm in one of them) were locked down until about 3:30 PM at police request. There's still some sort of police and/or military searching going on closer to the Parliament Buildings.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
Well, in my more thoughtful (read: less angry) moments, I guess I just am a bit saddened that it is no longer the 'world' I grew up in. When I was a kid, you boarded a plane by walking up the stairs. Things were not generally 'going off' and there was no real terrorist or anti- terrorist activity. This has changed in several steps here in the US, and beyond any actual events in themselves, it makes a line in time when there was a 'before' and an 'after'.

I confess I am not all that familiar with Canada but it seems from here that things are a bit softer, calmer and gentler there. It is events like these happening right now that will change that for all time and all over the country, and none of it in a good way IMO. Sure all the efforts will be for increased safety and security and that is a great thing but I think it was better and easier when those things did not need so much enforcement.

So again, my sympathies for these specific events and those involved but even more important, my sympathies for the negative changes all over your country and perhaps your way of life these few incidents may cause. The real cost going forward is basically infinite IMO.

Brian

Thanks Brian  :grouphug:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/22/canadian-soldier-shot-outside-of-parliament-hill-timeline-of-events/?__federated=1
Unfortunately our first responders have to bare the brunt of these attacks. My thoughts are with all who serve and protect.
The whole planet change on that tragic date.
No politics but there is a cancer that has formed and needs to be eradicate, the sooner the better.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
Let's be careful with the political comments...
MY BAD
WRONG FORUM

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »
Vickers is indeed a hero, I watched as Parliament gave him a thunderous standing ovation for his quick and true aim that no doubt saved many, especially the PM, who was very close. And a lump in my throat as I watched them all sing the Canadian national anthem as he fought back tears.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.