Author Topic: Muffler issue.... Well kid with gravel making a muffler issue...  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Snype

My kid put gravel down my tail pipe.  I took the pipe off and cannot shake it out.  I cannot find any schematics for disassembling it. 

First question: Has anyone ever taken stock can apart?

Backup: Best slip-on options for a quiet ride?

Snype
(Not willing to risk the gravel working its way up the system...)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: Muffler issue.... Well kid with gravel making a muffler issue...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
10,000 RPMs should take care of it! Hahaha! Just kidding. I’ve never taking one apart, but I seriously doubt there is any chance of the gravel reaching the motor. The catalytic converter will keep that from happening.

I just put an Akrapovic on mine. It’s pricey, but unaltered, it is only slightly louder than stock. It has a much deeper tone. Looks a lot better than stock too!

This isn’t my bike, but it looks identical to this one.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »
bummer... no way you will 'shake" it out... I have mine "moded' (shortened)..

the disassemble requires you to remove the rear aluminum "adornment", then you will need to carefully grind off all the welds around the perimeter of the "rear" of the muffler/insert sections.. this will allow you to "pull" the baffle section out... it really isn't tough, nor all that bad.. when you pull it, all out, the gravel and stuff will come with it, and you will see the way the baffle works, and why the gravel is "trapped".. if you desire at that point to "mod" the muffler can, you can scribe a line around it using dividers, following the profile, and then cut off the opposit end of the internal baffle by the same amount, before inserting it all back in... then, you need to MIG/TIG weld around the end to seal it again, and put the "tip" back on...
if you have a small tabletop MIG, easy job with an angle grinder.. if not... well... not so easy.  My muffler was shortened by 6 inches, and it's nice.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Snype

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »
Well, between posts, I went and tried to take it apart.  Yup, it's a sealed can with pretty things screwed on...

What will riding with that crap in there do??  I have a rally this weekend I really want to ride on.  I just don't want to risk making a bad situation worse.

That can weighs a ton!!!  No joke!!!  Between this headache and seeing how much I am throwing around, I may just change it out...

Offline Snype

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
Slick bike!  I've been tempted to buying some different plastics to change it up from time to time. 

I don't have the money to change out the entire system if the gravel gets past the pipe.  I'd rather not have a blocked or rattly cat... It's bad enough I have to have it at all...  Perhaps I should think full system.. uggg.. a lot of work!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
My kid put gravel down my tail pipe.  I took the pipe off and cannot shake it out.

LOL!  But seriously- sorry to hear about that.  Kids do stupid stuff sometimes!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »
Well, between posts, I went and tried to take it apart.  Yup, it's a sealed can with pretty things screwed on...

What will riding with that crap in there do??  I have a rally this weekend I really want to ride on.  I just don't want to risk making a bad situation worse.

That can weighs a ton!!!  No joke!!!  Between this headache and seeing how much I am throwing around, I may just change it out...

IIRC the Akrapovic slip on is around 6 or 8 pounds. You drop around 20 pounds of weight (plus gravel) with that slip on. It is made of titanium and carbon fiber. I don’t think any gravel would make past the muffler, but even if it does, a shop vac should get it out of the mid pipe.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
The cat would prevent anything from getting back to the motor.
Unless they packed the muffler with gravel, it won't be a problem. Ride it.

I thought. You Buddy may not want to ride right behind you... <grin>

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Delkevic is the least expensive slip on available. Looks pretty good to.
      if you get a longer  one not overly loud.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:49:44 PM by connie_rider »

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
My kid put gravel down my tail pipe.  I took the pipe off and cannot shake it out.  I cannot find any schematics for disassembling it. 

First question: Has anyone ever taken stock can apart?

Backup: Best slip-on options for a quiet ride?

Snype
(Not willing to risk the gravel working its way up the system...)

Do your bike a favor and throw it out already- how to get rid of 20 lbs. of eye pollution. I'm lovin' my Vance & Hines CS-1 for the last 90,000 miles- sounds great at 5-10K. ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 04:59:38 PM »
The cat would prevent anything from getting back to the motor.
Unless they packed the muffler with gravel won't be a problem. Ride it.

I thought. You Buddy may not want to ride right behind you... <grin>

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Delkevic is the least expensive slip on available. Looks pretty good to.
      if you get a longer  one not overly loud.

As I noted in my explanation, any gravel shoved down the hole from the back, simply cannot migrate up, and forward out of the mufflers inner baffle system. The pipe coming from the front, enters the can, and is attached, protruding thru a plate, into another "perforated can", where another plate lives at the rear of that section;, a couple of metal tubes are welded to that, and go rearward into a third divider section, where the output "pipe" is attached.. Unfortunately, as all the "tubes" protrude "into each can's internal areas", anything in there is trapped, and cannot be "shaken out"; physically impossible for stones to migrate to the exhaust pipe, or even into the path against the cat converter.
I can't find the actual photos of mine when it was "modified", but mine has the forward and second plate removed, which removes the dual "S" shaped paths that exhaust gas' must travel to exit the rear.

again, removing the rear painted aluminum end "adornment" will reveal the welds of the outer can, to the inner assembly... 5 minutes with a die grinder, will remove the welds around the perimeter, and it can all be "pulled out from the rear"... then you can see the sections, and mess around with the stones.. and if desired re-install, and mig weld the end again..  really not a monster of a job... been thinking of doing "cutdown" mufflers for a $$ lately, any interest???   Mind you, shipping the 21 lb. muffler, in a box can be pricey, but in the end, it still works great, and looks better than the newest ZX1400 monstrosities.. OEM...

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 04:02:12 AM »
Snype... Bottom Line..... I see no reason for concern. The gravel will not go any further that where it's at (all contained in the muffler). As long as exhaust gasses are still exiting the muffler, I see no reason not to ride it as is. When financial resources become available, then you can ditch the 20 lbs. for something much lighter and pleasing to your eyes.

So ride it as is and start researching what the replacement options are out there. You've got time.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
Here's a link to get to the stock muffler mod. MoB had found it for me previously. http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/stock-exhaust-modifications/msg234447/#msg234447

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
Here's a link to get to the stock muffler mod. MoB had found it for me previously. http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/stock-exhaust-modifications/msg234447/#msg234447

thanks for finding and posting that M/R... it's been a long time ago... for sure... I think that post ought to be added to the "sticky archives" some where.. as it still applies... and as it's "free", it beats $$$ any day...

and as noted, for the O/P, looking at that construction, you can clearly see what I said about any "gravel" being fully trapped, and cannot "migrate"... so ride on man...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
I think that post ought to be added to the "sticky archives"

Well, that is a different board
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Snype

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I've been riding it.  Now it's nothing more than that annoying thing, like that tiny scratch on my faring.  I took it off and shook the crap out of it, and came to agree... The gravel is not going anywhere... Future excuse to upgrade.

Thanks everyone

Snype

btw... that grease I used on the tank lock is still smooth as butter on the original application.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
btw... that grease I used on the tank lock is still smooth as butter on the original application.

I wish mine was.  It is starting to get hard to turn AGAIN.