Author Topic: Heated gear question....  (Read 2834 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Heated gear question....
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:18 AM »
I just picked up some First Gear Gloves http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Gloves/CSSHeatedGloves.html and a Venture Heated jacket liner http://www.ventureheat.com/p-870-12v-heated-jacket-liner-nylon-black.aspx.  The liner came with a troller, now do you all think that I would need a separate troller for the gloves or just get by with plugging the gloved in the jacket.  I do have an extra troller that I can power the gloves, but I really don't want to add more wiring. Any thought or recommendation would be great.

PS the price for that jacket is wrong on the site, there 149.00 form competition accessories. and they do come with a troller.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: Heated gear question....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
will there ever be a time you want heat in the gloves but do not want heat in the jacket?

if yes

then use the other controller
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline jayke

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »
I use different heat setting for the gloves and liner all the time.  Usually have the gloves hotter. I use a dual  controler (Gerbrings).

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
I've tried the single controller, and you want the dual.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:14:19 AM »
I have a little bit of a different opinion.  I have used the Gerbing jacket and gloves for years.  My wiring is simple, I have it wired directly to the battery and I use a simple on/off switch in between.

My Philosophy is simple,  if I get cold I turn it on, if I get hot I turn it off.  I have never needed to run the gloves separately from the jacket.  For me if it is cold enough for the gloves to be on, then it is cold enough for the jacket to be on.

I don't like controllers and extra wires hanging from me when I get off the bike, so this is what works for me.
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline mlf73

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
My heated gear is a pain most of the time.  I have the Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner and gloves.  No complaints with the jacket liner for the most part but I'm still not happy with the performance of the gloves.  I recently bought and installed the dual mounted heat-troller and bought the adapter than I needed to use with the jacket liner.  I prefer having a separate controller for each item and really like having the mounted controls.

I have tried running the gloves connected to the jacket as well as the gloves on a separate controller and don't seem to get any significant warmth out of them either way.  Of course, running the gloves separately is a pain in the fact that I still have to use the Tourmaster controller since it's connected to the cabling and running the cables down inside both sleeves and getting it all situated, connected and on is a major hassle!  I guess it all beats freezing though!

Hey Ron.....let me know if you'd like to meet up sometime this coming holiday weekend and maybe grab some lunch and compare gear or whatever.  I'll probably be around and not up to much of anything other than Thanksgiving day.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »
My heated gear is a pain most of the time. 
Hey Marlan, long time no see.  I did end up getting the Venture jacket liner that comes with its own contoller. It is very effective and very very warm, med is all that was needed when I rode home the other morning @ 27 degress.  And the heated collar gives off enough heat bebhind my face sheild that there is NO fogging. I like that.  My biggest pain is the gloves I can go either straight hook to jacket or thru my second controller, still a pain.

The wiring is easy but, hindsight being 20/20, and knowing the technology of the battery heated gear I would have gone that route for sure.

Lunch would be great some time, I might go on a long ride this week after Thanksgiving.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Stasch

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
Yup, dual controller works best - have had both.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:48 AM »
Anyone tried the battery powered variety?

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »
I have'nt but from what I've read on other forums and at http://www.webbikeworld.com/site-search/search-results.htm?cx=partner-pub-1584347091016402%3Ar71ggpna3v7&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=battery+heated+liner&sa=Search+wBW. And the new Mobil Warming is getting very positive reviews on boards too.  Here goes one that I was following, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738901

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie