Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT  (Read 9721 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
There is one problem with the screws that hold the calipers, they are worn out and I must find replacements very soon…

Just to be sure there isn't something I'm missing here (it happens, way too often  :-[ ) ....when you say they are worn out...do you mean the socket heads are starting to get striped or rounded out
where you put the hex (allen) wrench? ...or do you see signs of stretching or some other abnormality?

Thanks.

Offline Romonov

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Right...the hex bolt is being rounded out by inappropriate use of the socket. I guess that means I suck at wrenching???
 :-[
Romo - Nov, they both belong to family names...I'm not Russian though ;-)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
Right...the hex bolt is being rounded out by inappropriate use of the socket.
OK, Thanks.

I guess that means I suck at wrenching???
 :-[
Could be, but it might be that your wrench manufacturer sucks at quality control.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
Could also be chocolate bolts/screws.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
Thanks Poseidon, bolts are ordered!

Make sure you use anti-seize on those bolts! In all likely hood that's why there rounded out. They were seized up sometime earlier in the game.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
Make sure you use anti-seize on those bolts! In all likely hood that's why there rounded out. They were seized up sometime earlier in the game.

Though I agree to use anti-seize, that may not be why they were rounded. Mine were rounded by an idiot doing warranty replacement of my rotors. Every one of the bolts looked like torx head bolts when he was done using his impact wrench on them. It looks as if he simply didn't fully seat the bit.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »
It looks as if he simply didn't fully seat the bit.

And/or used a poor quality bit or worn out bit.  Costco damaged many of my car's lug nuts by doing a similar crappy job when they installed my new tires.  No doubt, speed with over-powerful tools, and a lack of care were factors.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »
I'm with lather on this, 3D-XM's for me. I've had 3 sets of the PR4's along with the 2's & 3's. To me each one was a downgrade from the previous model.

I just mounted my 38th set of tires on my C14. Yes I do spoon them on like Marty said. I'm by no means a expert I just never found it to be a big deal to do. Some quality spoons, my homemade bead breaker, box/crate to keep wheel off the floor & the yellow thing is all that's needed.

One thing I'll add to Marty's list is, lay the tires out in the sun for a while. I've done them stone cold in the winter & left them out in the sun for hours. Mounting a warm tire verses a cold tire is night & day difference.

I have loads of room to mount a changer, just never felt the need for one.

My neighbor is a dealer & I can use his air operated machine anytime I want at no cost. His shop is 15 miles away. I can be done quicker than I can make the 30 mile round trip.

I'm going back to PR2's after 2 sets of PR4 GT and non-GT. PR2's last longer with my riding style it seems, and it doesn't rain in SoCal very often.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
I think I am going to give the pr2 a shot. Will just slow down in the rain. Angel GT non A spec lasted 6000. BS 23 the same and  BS 30 or 31?? Lasted only 4000. This is rear tires. I got 11000 on the Angel and still running the 23 on the front.
Wayne
I'm going back to PR2's after 2 sets of PR4 GT and non-GT. PR2's last longer with my riding style it seems, and it doesn't rain in SoCal very often.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
I didn't realize they were still making the PR2. What prices are you seeing for them?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 05:45:38 AM »
I didn't realize they were still making the PR2. What prices are you seeing for them?

Yeah, that seems surprising to me too.  Perhaps new old stock or something?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
 yeah, they appear to be quite available from a number of places. google my friends.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
Still list it on there site.         https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/pilot-road-2.html

yeah, they appear to be quite available from a number of places. google my friends.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
Wayne

I find that google stifles conversation and human interaction.  ;)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »
...that would naturally take place on an electronic device being viewed on a computer browser and stored on a server for someone to google later.  :thumbs: :rotflmao:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 07:03:58 PM »

...that would naturally take place on an electronic device being viewed on a computer browser and stored on a server for someone to google later.  :thumbs: :rotflmao:

:finger_fing11:

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 12:45:11 PM »
I am now a firm believer in the Michelin GT4 tire. I live in AZ where many of the roads have crevices and rough pavement. I have always
purchased the regular Michelins in the past.

The GT4 provide a well planted ride and smooths out all imperfections in the road. My rides have become more enjoyable

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »
I am now a firm believer in the Michelin GT4 tire.

[PR4GT]

I have been very impressed with the lifespan, wear pattern, and weather handling.  I got 18,020 miles on my first set.  I am 12,123 miles into my second set and they still look great and handle not that different than they were at 5,000 miles.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
[PR4GT]
  I got 18,020 miles on my first set.  I am 12,123 miles into my second set and they still look great .....

Passing along an observation made by a friend of mine from the Houston area at a recent Texas rally...."It seems that almost all the people that get these fantastic tire mileage figures are in the east, I guess they must not have any speed limits over 55mph."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »
...and glass smooth roads...