Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 853312 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3200 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »
Eupher, are you located in So. Cal.? 103 sounds like what we have here, in So. Cal.

No, I'm in Arkansas. Sorry for the late response.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3201 on: August 25, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »
I found the extra fob/tank/ key I had had made at the local ACE hardware store. It had fallen out of my pants pocket, apparently, and the gods sharpened my vision enough so I could see what I was missing.

Damn things are expensive, though not as expensive as the cursed Ki-Pass thingie.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3202 on: August 28, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »
Had a leaky right fork seal.  Seal Mate to the rescue!  Slipped it in (easy boys), made two passes, compressed the forks a few times and took it for about a 150 mile jaunt last Sunday.  Checked it today and it looks to be sealed.  $8 to save, what, $250???  Love this forum!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3203 on: August 28, 2018, 06:46:32 PM »
Had a leaky right fork seal.  Seal Mate to the rescue!  Slipped it in (easy boys), made two passes, compressed the forks a few times and took it for about a 150 mile jaunt last Sunday.  Checked it today and it looks to be sealed.  $8 to save, what, $250???  Love this forum!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Yep, same for me.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3204 on: August 28, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
Hey, Gang!

Long time no post.   ::)

2009 Black, 140,000+miles.

Replaced the coolant reservoir.  It was dripping when hot and full  :o 
But didn't display the same condition when below the "low" mark.

Haven't had the chance to "bench test" the old reservoir but there have been no coolant drips since.  Two weeks ago.
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline PH14

« Reply #3205 on: August 31, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
My horn stopped working.. I have the HF80 Dual Horn from Murph's, along with his wiring harness with relay. The relay stopped working. It would click, but not pass power. I called a local electronics parts distributor I have used in the past with no luck, they could order it, and also told me Mouser Electronics had it and I could get it there online. I already had found that and wanted something today. Allied Electronics has a location about 5-10 miles from my house, and had one that would work, so I called them. The won't sell in person, so I would have to order it and have it shipped. Ugh, probably at three days to get it from less than ten miles away, and that is not including Labor Day weekend, so lets say a six days.

I finally looked around and found one at Advance Auto that I thought would work. It is listed as: A/C Clutch Relay, A/C Compressor Cut-Out Relay, Engine Cooling Fan Motor Relay, HVAC Blower Motor Relay. I wanted something that would work today so I got it, and it works. Unfortunately, it had no rating, it is probably rated high enough, but then again...so I may be swapping it out later for one with a known rating. For now though, I have a horn.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3206 on: August 31, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Gary's horn harness uses a 30A NC / 20A NO relay, very common.. can buy it lots of places...
I have trouble believing the relay you bought, had no ratings printed on it...unless it was a 'specific OEM replacement', normal multi use relays (noted as such) do have it marked.. it just doesn't happen, all have a rating.. but hey... I don't have it in hand.
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=221&osCsid=qkQB4H2LYWebsxMNmwL442

looked at AutoZone, most if not all of them are 20A, and will be fine... (i have one in my garage stuff right now, and it's marked tho, and I got it at A/Z)

glad you got it fixed tho. :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3207 on: August 31, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »
I miss Radio Shack.... well, at least back when it really was Radio Shack
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3208 on: August 31, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
I miss Radio Shack.... well, at least back when it really was Radio Shack

you and I both... but then, it was like once every 5 years when you needed something you walked in, and MAYBE found it....( no kid, I don't need your help... I can find it if it's on the damned shelf.....)

but, alas, the one on my corner is gone...

they wouldn't have that relay anyway, it's automotive quality...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :stirpot: :stirpot: :deadhorse:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline PH14

« Reply #3209 on: August 31, 2018, 09:24:11 PM »
Gary's horn harness uses a 30A NC / 20A NO relay, very common.. can buy it lots of places...
I have trouble believing the relay you bought, had no ratings printed on it...unless it was a 'specific OEM replacement', normal multi use relays (noted as such) do have it marked.. it just doesn't happen, all have a rating.. but hey... I don't have it in hand.
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=221&osCsid=qkQB4H2LYWebsxMNmwL442

looked at AutoZone, most if not all of them are 20A, and will be fine... (i have one in my garage stuff right now, and it's marked tho, and I got it at A/Z)

glad you got it fixed tho. :thumbs:

Many relays sold as an OEM replacement, do not have the rating printed on them. This one did have the basic diagram for the pin outs though, but no ratings, and none in the box. I know they are common, but I wanted one today, I have plenty of sources for them online and locally if I order, but with the holiday weekend, it would take awhile. I can get the same one Murph's sells from Mouser for $2.54, other places, less than $2. I just wanted one today. This was the only one they had in stock, of any 5 pin 1 Form C relay, so that was my choice.

If it fails, it would just weld itself closed and the horn would sound until I pull over and pull the relay.   :D I'm sure it will be fine. I doubt it has a resistor like the one from Murph's, but that isn't necessary for this application.

Offline PH14

« Reply #3210 on: August 31, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
I miss Radio Shack as well, although I do have some parts places here that are great resources. Radio Shack had some great hobbyist components though, like breadboards, enclosures and the like that parts distributers don't generally carry. I grew up in an electronics shop so we always had most anything lying around. I miss that even more.

One thing we had that I never thought twice about, were tons of gold plated pins you could use on a board to create a circuit. I didn't know until well into adulthood that they came from the Apollo program. There was a company in Iowa that played a part in the space program, and my dad got them from there as surplus. Had I have known, I would have kept some. I found out my brother has some though, so thankfully they aren't all gone.

On second look, it looks as if this relay does have a resistor. Still, no amperage rating though. My horn goes beep. That's all that matters, and I didn't have to wait days or weeks to fix it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3211 on: September 01, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »
A resistor or a diode? Relays often have a diode in them to prevent the voltage spike in the coil when they are opened (un- powered) but I do not think I have ever seen one with a resistor. ??

Brian

On second look, it looks as if this relay does have a resistor. Still, no amperage rating though. My horn goes beep. That's all that matters, and I didn't have to wait days or weeks to fix it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #3212 on: September 01, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »
A resistor or a diode? Relays often have a diode in them to prevent the voltage spike in the coil when they are opened (un- powered) but I do not think I have ever seen one with a resistor. ??

Brian

Resistor, they use both. The one Muph's supplies is a Song Chuan 871-1C-C-R1-U01-12VD. The "R1" is: R1 -- Coil parallel with 1/2W resistor for
 6V 1807, 12V 6807, 24V 27007 Here is the datasheet on the relay. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/378/20098291912159610-3428.pdf

Not really necessary for a horn relay though.  I see though that, according to the diagram on the new relay, can't really call it a schematic, it seems to have the resistor. Stands to reason as it is used on car A/c which on most now are computer controlled.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3213 on: September 02, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that one of the heavy duty automotive type relays that Murph uses failed. Even though I know that being electro-mechanical devices (or even the completely electronic ones) there is a possibility of failure, still I was hoping that most would last the life of the bike. I have a lot of extra relays installed on mine and at least 7 of them came from radio shack. All of the Radio Shack ones are soldered to a board so no simple plug in replacement for those. Hopefully if I have a failure it also will be the one from Murph as it is (I think) the only extra relay I have on a plug in receptacle, unfortunately that one is the least used.  Fingers crossed.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3214 on: September 02, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »
I have a aftermarket horn with a relay that wad installed by the p.o.. On a trip this summer the thing started blasting on its own. It had been raining of and on so I assumed that wad causing the issues. I pulled the fuse. About a week later I decided to try it again. Worked well for a while and the would beep randomly. It has been good for a month now. Do you think this is a relay issue?
Wayne

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3215 on: September 02, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »
I have a aftermarket horn with a relay that wad installed by the p.o.. On a trip this summer the thing started blasting on its own. It had been raining of and on so I assumed that wad causing the issues. I pulled the fuse. About a week later I decided to try it again. Worked well for a while and the would beep randomly. It has been good for a month now. Do you think this is a relay issue?
Wayne

Could be.  And probably.  Rain wouldn't help, contaminated enough water could cause the relay to short closed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #3216 on: September 02, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
Fork seals replaced and front brake pads also done.

Started a 4500Km road trip, and 250Km in, noticed a seal has popped. Luckily we I was back tracking on my trip, and arranged with my mechanic to sort it first thing Monday morning.

He had us back on the road within 2 hrs
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline PH14

« Reply #3217 on: September 04, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that one of the heavy duty automotive type relays that Murph uses failed. Even though I know that being electro-mechanical devices (or even the completely electronic ones) there is a possibility of failure

No big deal. Relays fail. This one was probably 7 years old.

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #3218 on: September 05, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »
Went to get groceries on my Concours tonight as it has ample luggage capacity. My girlfriend decided she wanted to ride it back so we switched bikes. She did a fine job riding it, made sure to go into every pothole on our way (there's a lot of them here). She wants to get more comfortable on it so we can do long trips together and I don't have to do all the work
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3219 on: September 06, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »
Went to get groceries on my Concours tonight as it has ample luggage capacity. My girlfriend decided she wanted to ride it back so we switched bikes. She did a fine job riding it, made sure to go into every pothole on our way (there's a lot of them here). She wants to get more comfortable on it so we can do long trips together and I don't have to do all the work
You are a lucky man...
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.