Author Topic: Ducati DSS suspension vs BMW's telelever  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Ducati DSS suspension vs BMW's telelever
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
Does anyone know if BMW's suspension adjust based on road condition like DSS? I have read rave reviews on DSS, but not finding much info on BMW suspension. How do they compare? Can anyone throw some light?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline pistole

Re: Ducati DSS suspension vs BMW's telelever
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:54:39 AM »
- iirc , only the system on the BMW HP4 "reads" the road , so to speak.

- the Ducati's Skyhook system on the MTS prevents things like diving of the front fork on braking , but isn't "active" like the system on the HP4.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »
Interesting....I understood it that it adjusts rebound or dampening to match road condition.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the title of the post and what you actually want to know. Telelever is the front suspension architecture, and has nothing to do with active or passive or even the possibility of setting the shock absorber.

The HP4 has the DDC, which is brilliant. As pistole says, it reads what's going on and adapts on the fly but the bike itself doesn't feature Telelever, just a conventional fork on the front and a conventional (read two-sided) swingarm on the back.

An R1200RT (with Telelever) can have ESA (that acts on the rear only, which is a Paralever design).

A K1600GT has a Duolever on the front and Paralever on the rear, and features ESA as well in it's second iteration, which also allows for spring rate adjustment. ESA is in any case a passive system with no sensors. It gets set up and it doesn't do anything by itself, there's no processing of any variable like speed, suspension travel, throttle position, longitudinal acceleration, leaning angle, and something else that slips my mind at the moment. All this is in the DDC and it's used to continuously adjust the damping to the situation.

Now, regarding the Ducati system, I'm sorry I can't help you with that one, I don't know it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:31:03 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Got to hand it to the Italians to name a technologically advanced suspension design after what we referred to as kids as a non existent thing and make it sound sexy and have a straight face when talking about it. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the title of the post and what you actually want to know. Telelever is the front suspension architecture, and has nothing to do with active or passive or even the possibility of setting the shock absorber.

The HP4 has the DDC, which is brilliant. As pistole says, it reads what's going on and adapts on the fly but the bike itself doesn't feature Telelever, just a conventional fork on the front and a conventional (read two-sided) swingarm on the back.

An R1200RT (with Telelever) can have ESA (that acts on the rear only, which is a Paralever design).

A K1600GT has a Duolever on the front and Paralever on the rear, and features ESA as well in it's second iteration, which also allows for spring rate adjustment. ESA is in any case a passive system with no sensors. It gets set up and it doesn't do anything by itself, there's no processing of any variable like speed, suspension travel, throttle position, longitudinal acceleration, leaning angle, and something else that slips my mind at the moment. All this is in the DDC and it's used to continuously adjust the damping to the situation.

Now, regarding the Ducati system, I'm sorry I can't help you with that one, I don't know it.

Think this is what I was trying to understand..thank you
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:29:42 AM »
glad I was useful somehow  :) but now I'd also like to know about that skyhook wizardry from Ducati.
Anybody?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
Here is a write up on it, scroll down as the first part of the article is about the modifications to the engine. If you google DSS suspension there is lots of info about it.

http://rideapart.com/2012/10/how-ducati-skyhook-semi-active-suspension-works/
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."