Author Topic: Any recommendation for starter bike.  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Any recommendation for starter bike.
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
Looking for a starter bike for my nephew. 250cc or less would be ideal. But has to be street legal.

I already got Honda Rebel in mind. I got some ulterior motive on a Suzuki S40 - so looking for one of those as well. But want to know what else is out there. I do not seem to find much of anything that is small enough for him - at least not small and cheap enough. I liked the Honda crf 230l. But dang! brand new it is like 3 - 4 grand!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Any recommendation for starter bike.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Used Ninja 250r can be had for less than $3000 easy for ones in good shape. Kids love them, and they are tame enough to keep them mostly out of trouble. Plus you can pick one up with scratches already installed so you don't have to worry about their first drop.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Ninja 250 is the standard answer.  $1-2k in my area used.  OTOH, to give a good answer, more info would be needed.  Ie: age, height, weight, riding & driving experience, preferences.  Even then the answer would probably be then Ninja 250 unless you plan on buying new, and your comments indicate otherwise.

I don't like cruisers, and especially not for a beginner bike, so I wouldn't recommend one.  There are a number of them out there, if that is what he really wants.  A TW200 is also a great beginner bike that can pull some fairly serious trail duty, and can be a lot of fun for an experienced rider who accepts it for what it is.

Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
The Ninja would be high on my list... seating and braking being the better.  The other 2 lesser... I know why you want the S40, and that alone would be a good reason for that being purchased  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
Your nephew will much prefer the Ninja 250 to the other bikes on your list. It's got the looks and the cool factor . . . plus it'll run 85mph if asked.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
Your nephew will much prefer the Ninja 250 to the other bikes on your list. It's got the looks and the cool factor . . . plus it'll run 85mph if asked.

uumm...  with a 6'4", 260lb rider above 5,000' in elevation it'll show over 100mph without issue.  Takes a few (thousand) feet to get the last 5mph, but it'll do it.  85 (indicated at least) is a complete non-issue, WELL within the useable range.

I'm a staunch advocate for the Ninja 250..  bought one for my wife 9 years ago and we haven't gone more than a few months without one in the garage since.  There's been a few times when it was the Only bike in the garage, and for more than a few months in a row too. 

But dual-sport bikes are better first bikes.  Easier to ride, nothing really breaks in newbie drops, cheaper to insure and if you pick well, they're more than capable of highway duty.  One just needs to feel comfortable in the saddle (meaning the inseam challenged, like my wife, need not apply)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
Easy to outgrow a 250 in about a month or two, I recomend a GS500, great bikes, easy to ride, and cheap!

Offline BrianM

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »
Easy to outgrow a 250 in about a month or two....

Never owned one, eh?  That's alright, most people who haven't have this uninformed opinion.  That statement is something you hear squids say (just to put the level of misinformation into perspective).

It's actually pretty hard to hit the limits of the 250.  There have been 4~5 that have completed the IBA Rally, LOTS that have done the 50cc, SS1000, BB1500, etc...  Even more that go roadracing with them, a handful that do long 2-up touring, and a couple who have used them for light adventure touring bikes.  It'll easily break every speed limit in the US too.  Yes, you WILL be shifting gears and actually Riding the bike, but that is specifically why it is so much fun.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »
I have a co-worker that has 2 Ninja 250's... he rides them to work pretty religiously (just bought a 2010 model a few months back), 5'10''... ~200lbs.  He loves the thing... he also has a 2006 model too that he used to ride to work, now either going to be a track bike or put up for sale.

I thought he would bump up to a larger bike, but he loves the mpg... ease of maintenance... and the size for commuting around town.  He doesn't do any riding out of town, so it fits the bill for him.

Honda has a nice CBR250R too... but I don't think you'll find a used one cheap, like the Ninja.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
He is 18 yrs old, but pretty responsible kid. He is pretty hefty though - about 6ft tall and weigh about 240 lbs. He never rode and street bikes - just dirt bikes around his backyard. So, he will have to get acclimated to a street bike. I am gonna have him take the rider course next year - missed the last one this year by couple days.

I am gonna look at some Ninja 250 - looks like bunch of recommendation. He saw an old 1978 Honda 250cc xls that looks like in decent shape. He is wanting to go look at one. But if I find a decent Ninja for a decent price, I might sway him that way. I do not think he will outgrow a 250cc soon - he started looking at 50cc scooters for crying out loud ! I told him those are for anorexic teenage girls ! lol
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
6' 240 lbs, I would go with at least a 650 or bigger. That S40 wouldn't be a bad choice. A low seat really helps new riders. Even an old Shadow 1100 wouldn't be bad for someone his size. Within a month he will not be happy with a 250. An 1100 Shadow he could ride for a few years. I'm 5' 11", 215 lbs and I learned on a VTX1300. I replaced it within 6 months with a Valkyrie.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
Have both a C10 and an EX250. Bought the little bike for the daughters but I'm having more fun with it.

It's an amazingly competent, fun little bike, and it fits my 6'3" size fine. Believe it or not, because it gets better gas mileage, it has a longer touring range than the C10 on a tank of gas!
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »

Never owned one, eh?  That's alright, most people who haven't have this uninformed opinion.  That statement is something you hear squids say (just to put the level of misinformation into perspective).

Wrong!

I had an 87 for about a year back in the mullet days... back then I was probably a buck thirty five, can't imagine a 240 lb dude thinking it would be a big enough bike, just my opinion...