Author Topic: woops, found out about the FJR  (Read 27918 times)

Offline tbunder

woops, found out about the FJR
« on: August 27, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »
thanks to this forum, I realized the FJR1300 existed. I really like the blue '05. I like my C10, but ever since riding that C14 I can't get the taste of the instant power out of my mouth. tell me why, if I DO upgrade, I should NOT buy a FJR? is it a good bike? I like the twin pipes over the C14 plus, I saw an '05 for $5500 on ebay.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: woops, found out about the FJR
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »
Actually I think most of us here on a Kawasaki Concours forum reccomend Hondas or Suzukis.

Brian

thanks to this forum, I realized the FJR1300 existed. I really like the blue '05. I like my C10, but ever since riding that C14 I can't get the taste of the instant power out of my mouth. tell me why, if I DO upgrade, I should NOT buy a FJR? is it a good bike? I like the twin pipes over the C14 plus, I saw an '05 for $5500 on ebay.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »
The FJR and C14 are both good bikes. I have had them both. go ride em both and pick the one you like. they are pretty much Ford Chevy
we can go on and on and about this one has that and that one has this. it comes down to which one you like
they both have more power than most of us can handle
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
I think you should go out and buy one, they are obviously a superior choice over the C14......look at all the awards and shootouts it has won since the C14 came out?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »
I think you should go out and buy one, they are obviously a superior choice over the C14......look at all the awards and shootouts it has won since the C14 came out?

:goodpost: +1. The ST1300 has dual exhaust as well... and it won an award, once or twice a while back. 8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline DaveO

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »
id go with fjr . not quite as heavey as c-14 and i think workmanship will be better w/yamaha.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »
Actually I think most of us here on a Kawasaki Concours forum reccomend Hondas or Suzukis.
Brian
:goodpost: +1. The ST1300 has dual exhaust as well... and it won an award, once or twice a while back. 8)
QCTM
I guess I need to recommend the award-winning Suzuki sport-tourer.  It's a great bike and very affordable.  Oddly enough, the name slips my mind at the moment.   ::)
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »
QCTM
I guess I need to recommend the award-winning Suzuki sport-tourer.  It's a great bike and very affordable.  Oddly enough, the name slips my mind at the moment.   ::)

:rotflmao:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline soyjim

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
If you are going to buy a used bike to replace your c10, $5500 for a 2005fjr is a reasonable deal. Sport touring bikes over the last few years don't seem to be depreciating much. I think you would be hard pressed to find a c14 for less than $7000. If you have the urge to replace the old reliable C10 and you have the money go ahead.

It does seem that if you get the fjr you will tick off some people on this forum though. The c10 meets my needs, and I like having the $5000 or so difference in the bank.

I had a chance to ride a c14 at the ticket to ride event, and I passed on it. I knew it would make me want one.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
I like the twin pipes over the C14 plus

I'm confused, my C14 does have dual exhaust...

Offline tbunder

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
thanks for the honest replies to you few. Instead of being a garage queen, I actually ride my bike so flashy exhausts and making my ST into a sportbike are not in my interests. The FJR seems to have a cult following like the Concours. The only downfall, if even one, is it having a 5-spd tranny. The FJR does seem to weigh around 30-40lbs. give or take less than the C14. It's going to be a long winter.  ;D

Offline tbunder

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

Brian

...........and I recommend dictionary.com. ;D ;D ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
Yeah, I think I will go to Oxford's dictionary site and ask if there is any reason I should NOT go to Webster and get a dictionary....

;)

Brian

...........and I recommend dictionary.com. ;D ;D ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MIST

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »
I've owned an '07 FJR, an '08 FJR and now the '10 Concours. In my opinion the Concours is a better looking motorcycle than the FJR, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The 6 speed transmission of the Concours is an advantage over the 5 speed FJR. With the Yamaha I was quite frequently looking to upshift, only to glance at the gear display and realize I was already in top gear. The riding position was pretty much the same on both motorcycles, however I have found the Concours seat much more comfortable than the FJR. I put handlebar risers on all three of them. I found wind management on the Concours slightly better than the FJR however the heat is more noticeable on the Concours than the FJR. The fit and finish of the Concours is better than the FJR. These are a few of the observations I've made in my ownership experience of both motorcycles. I really liked both of my FJRs, but I absolutely love my Concours. For me it's the better of the two. But I wouldn't hesitate to take a second glance at the FJR if Yamaha were to come out with an electronic cruise control. 
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
QCTM

Suzuki sucks......all they do is add a lower fairing and some bags to a Bandit 1250 and call it a sport touring bike, it is a great bike but is apples to oranges when compared to the real sport touring bikes out there. All Zuk cares about are Gixxers and MX, their cruisers suck too. I would take a new Ninja 1000 "anyday" over the Bandit, but I doubt I will get another chain driven street bike.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
Yeah, I think I will go to Oxford's dictionary site and ask if there is any reason I should NOT go to Webster and get a dictionary....

;)

Brian
Don't mean to be a smartaxx , Brian , but he is on the "other bikes" section... ::)
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »

As already stated the biggest gripe with the fjr is the 5 spd tranny.  I test drove two different fjrs on two occasions and both times it bugged me - especially since my last two bikes ( both yamahas ironically ) had 6 speed gear boxes.  It also didnt feel as sporty as the c14 either.  Of course with that said had there been a clean fjr for sale in my area for $5500 when i bought my c14 this spring there is a damn good chance I would have jumped on it.  Up here is WI c14s are a lot more common and are much cheaper new or used.  Looking back I'm very happy I ended up with a connie even though originally it wasnt my top choice because of my prior brand loyalty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
When I went from 26 years on 6 different Gold Wings I looked at the FJR, ST1300 and the concours. In my opinion the concours was a clear winner. The FJR and ST1300 only have a 5 speed tranny and both in my eyes were ugly. The C14 had  almost everything I wanted, I wish it had a 7.7 gas tank like the ST1300 and of course a cruise control.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline booger

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:40:33 AM »
The FJR and C14 are both good bikes. I have had them both. go ride em both and pick the one you like. they are pretty much Ford Chevy
we can go on and on and about this one has that and that one has this. it comes down to which one you like
they both have more power than most of us can handle

Actually it's not like Ford/Chevy.  It's like Kawasaki/Yamaha. ;D

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:08 AM »
When I was doing my research on sport touring bikes, I came across a few reports on a fuel injection bug (I think) on some of the earlier FJRs. So, if you are thinking of picking up the 05, check on that first.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14