Author Topic: woops, found out about the FJR  (Read 27922 times)

Offline GTRrob

Re: woops, found out about the FJR
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »
When I was doing my research on sport touring bikes, I came across a few reports on a fuel injection bug (I think) on some of the earlier FJRs. So, if you are thinking of picking up the 05, check on that first.

That's true. I don't think Yamaha fixed that until the 06 or 07 models. I good buddy of mine had an 05 FJR and couldn't make it up Mt St Helens until he got a PC3 added. His bike would bog down and cut out before we would get even half way up!

Good luck with you decision OP. It came down to the FJR and Connie for me too, and I prefer Yams and Hondas. This is my first Kaw and I am very happy. Eats up the miles like nothing else.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
I think you should go out and buy one, they are obviously a superior choice over the C14......look at all the awards and shootouts it has won since the C14 came out?

Pokey, you done forget to include the sarcasm icon again . . . :P

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:37 PM »
Go for it, FJRs taste just like chicken ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
The thread was started in Open Forum and moved to Other Bikes by a moderator.

Either way, this IS a Kawasaki Concours forum so I find the question regarding why someone should not buy an FJR to be on the 'trolling' side. Nothing terrible about it but I would not go on a forum about the German language and ask why I should not choose French as my primary language.

In the end, no big deal either way but I just happened to have that trolling photo handy when I tripped over this thread anyway. I would not have bothered to look it up just for this thread so think of it as a 'no cost extra'.

;)

Brian

Don't mean to be a smartaxx , Brian , but he is on the "other bikes" section... ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
Re: 5 speed tranny- I actually prefer the 5 speed (all 4 bikes have 5 speeds) as I have less shifting to manage in daily driving. On the road a 5 spd ends up about the same rpms, just less effort to get there. BTW the FJR has enough torque to never care about the wider gear ratios.

Re: Bugs in the FJR- the gen1 (03,04,05) has a ticking in a (very) few models, and excess heat. The gen2 (06+) has the altitude issue, some ignition issues, and less heat.

Overall both are great bikes...more newer gadgets = C14   lower prices for used = FJR     YMMV
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
The thread was started in Open Forum and moved to Other Bikes by a moderator.

Either way, this IS a Kawasaki Concours forum so I find the question regarding why someone should not buy an FJR to be on the 'trolling' side. Nothing terrible about it but I would not go on a forum about the German language and ask why I should not choose French as my primary language.

In the end, no big deal either way but I just happened to have that trolling photo handy when I tripped over this thread anyway. I would not have bothered to look it up just for this thread so think of it as a 'no cost extra'.

;)

Brian
\

Cool Beans ! ;D
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
Pokey, you done forget to include the sarcasm icon again . . . :P

I just figured that most of ya have figured me out by now. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
Comparing the two bikes, in '11, the C14 is ahead.
The FJR is a 10 year old design that was updated in '06. The C-14 is a fresh design from '07 with some redesign to fix issues in '10.

If you're considering used, the '03 - '05 FJR were pretty reliable bikes. The major issue was heat and valves ticking in '03 - '05 bikes. The same issue (heat) is reported for the '08 - '09 C-14. Some reported second degree burns. I wouldn't buy an '05 because of that.
I would look at the second generation FJR, '06 or newer if heat bothers you.
I'd say all the major issues were fixed in '09 and on. Having a sixth gear would be a nice to have.
I'd rather have a factory installed cruise control.

Personally, I chose the FJR in '09 because of the heat issue in the C-14, larger gas tank and lower seat height.
My choice could have been different if I'd waited another year. Both are great bikes.
Ride safe!

COG 7292

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Both are certainly fine bikes but I don't think Yamaha has ironed out the problems with the second generation series. In fact, there is a recall coming for 2011 models regarding the front brake switch. There are numerous other ongoing recalls for that model well beyond the start of the second generation.

Brian

Comparing the two bikes, in '11, the C14 is ahead.
The FJR is a 10 year old design that was updated in '06. The C-14 is a fresh design from '07 with some redesign to fix issues in '10.

If you're considering used, the '03 - '05 FJR were pretty reliable bikes. The major issue was heat and valves ticking in '03 - '05 bikes. The same issue (heat) is reported for the '08 - '09 C-14. Some reported second degree burns. I wouldn't buy an '05 because of that.
I would look at the second generation FJR, '06 or newer if heat bothers you.
I'd say all the major issues were fixed in '09 and on. Having a sixth gear would be a nice to have.
I'd rather have a factory installed cruise control.

Personally, I chose the FJR in '09 because of the heat issue in the C-14, larger gas tank and lower seat height.
My choice could have been different if I'd waited another year. Both are great bikes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline booger

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »
If you want a FJR over a C-14,  Iwould go for it.

Probably one of the bigger mistakes you will make in your life, but at least it's reversible.

You can trade it in on a C-14 next year. :-\

Offline TownsendsFJR1300

• Knowledge is Power!
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
The FJR does have a lower seat height and you can see behind you using the mirrors.  I looked at 1/3 of my shoulders ridng my friends 09 Concours. 

BTW, that 09 Concours was hotter than my 04 FJR... A limited # of 03-05's did have exhaust valve guides that would fail over time and cause the dreaded tick...  Yamaha, even thou the bike is way out of warranty, WILL FIX the valve guides to this day... 

The Gen I FJR will power wheelie in the first 2 gears (not using the clutch) and requires valve checks at 25,000 miles, not 7,500 miles.  The Gen II is geared slightly higher for lower RPMs on the highway but has basically the same engine...

Having worked on both the Concours and several FJR's (Gen I and Gen II's), the FJR is easier to work on having a gas tank that tilts up after removing 2 bolts...  The Concours is a little bit quicker, however I don't want all the bells and whistles, just more things to break down the road if you keep the bike... 
2007 Yamaha FZ6, BD43 headlight mod, PIAA  bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, Techspec tank pads

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
 :popcorn:

I love my C10...but the leaves are changing...the nights are getting cooler...and the prices on '08 C14s are coming down...they are still $2k above an '05 FJR (yes, I've been watching both)...but, nothing's frozen yet...so, we'll just have to see...as things get colder...what comes along...

I have to admit...a $5k '08 C14 might just make me pull the trigger!
'02 C-10

Offline olie

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:37 AM »
..... The C14 had  almost everything I wanted, I wish it had a 7.7 gas tank like the ST1300 and of course a cruise control.
+1, the 2 most important misses.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »
The FJR does have a lower seat height and you can see behind you using the mirrors.  I looked at 1/3 of my shoulders ridng my friends 09 Concours.
I drove both bikes and liked the FJR in one or two aspects (engine sound and looks, for instance) very much, but the C14 was clearly the winner, for the reasons already mentioned, plus wind protection for the passenger is better (so I've been told by my better half).

The Gen I FJR will power wheelie in the first 2 gears (not using the clutch) and requires valve checks at 25,000 miles, not 7,500 miles.  The Gen II is geared slightly higher for lower RPMs on the highway but has basically the same engine...
I'm not sure I understand what you imply:
a) that the FJR Gen I needs valve check at 7500 miles ---> wow!
b) that the C14 needs valve check at 7500 miles ---> incorrect: 26000 miles

Having worked on both the Concours and several FJR's (Gen I and Gen II's), the FJR is easier to work on having a gas tank that tilts up after removing 2 bolts...  The Concours is a little bit quicker, however I don't want all the bells and whistles, just more things to break down the road if you keep the bike...
I keep the bike, and the bells and whistles have not changed one bit so far, braking down or otherwise.

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate jumping on a FJR for a good price if I was shopping around. Yes, 6th gear is neat, but not a deal braker. We are buying bikes, not wash machines, and taste or "clicking" with this or that model plays a huge roll.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline TownsendsFJR1300

• Knowledge is Power!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »
I drove both bikes and liked the FJR in one or two aspects (engine sound and looks, for instance) very much, but the C14 was clearly the winner, for the reasons already mentioned, plus wind protection for the passenger is better (so I've been told by my better half).
I'm not sure I understand what you imply:
a) that the FJR Gen I needs valve check at 7500 miles ---> wow!
b) that the C14 needs valve check at 7500 miles ---> incorrect: 26000 miles
I keep the bike, and the bells and whistles have not changed one bit so far, braking down or otherwise.

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate jumping on a FJR for a good price if I was shopping around. Yes, 6th gear is neat, but not a deal braker. We are buying bikes, not wash machines, and taste or "clicking" with this or that model plays a huge roll.

That's not what I posted, please re-read... 

The FJR does NOT require valve check/adjustments until 25,000 miles. 

I've driven two stock Concours and found with the stock windshield, protection is great up to my chest, non existant above that.  My stock winshield on my 04 FJR provides considerably much more protection. 

As for the gen I's (03-05) some of them had bad exhaust valve guides that causing the dreaded tick...  So far mine has not...    BTW, Yamaha to this date, even thou my bike is way out of warranty, will STILL REPAIR the guides should they fail...  As for another gear, it would be nice, but the bike has enough torque and doesn't need it.  For me, the bike sits lower than the Concours however the Concours is a little quicker, shifts smoother however it is 6 years newer with newer technology.  I keep my bikes so I personally don't want all the extra goodies that may eventually need fixing/repair.  My brakes are not linked nor did I order it with ABS. KISS.  Much easier to flush brakes, maintain, etc.  I am the only one to wrench on my bikes (not counting a local Honda dealer who screwed up my last, 04 Goldwing).  I will not own another Honda after dealing with Honda corp as they tried to get out repairing a new oil leak (among other things) caused by the dealership.  A lawsuit threat finally got things fixed at another dealership...

I currently own two Yamaha's (04 FJR and an 07 FZ6) and have also owned several Kawasaki's to include a black/gold 2000 ZRX 1100 and several KLR's that I have gotten over 100,000 miles between the ZRX, 2 KLR 250's and a KLR 650,  so I consider myself fairly knowledgable in both.   Both KLR's have been torn down for engine repairs, The 1989 250, every 32,000 miles would have the left crank roller bearing fail-a compleat engine tear down at 32,000 and again at 64,000 miles.  My last 2005 250, with 28,000 miles had the same bearing start to fail.  I loved the bike but I'm done rebuilding the engine every 32,000 miles....

I have worked on several Concours as well as "MIST's" two FJR's and another friends FJR. 

For me, I prefer the FJR, for others the Concours is a great bike, just not my style... 

BTW, there are numerous FJR's that gone well over 100,000 miles without any major repairs, a pretty good track record.  I'd be curious how well the Concours does once its 8 years old...
2007 Yamaha FZ6, BD43 headlight mod, PIAA  bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, Techspec tank pads

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »
thanks to this forum, I realized the FJR1300 existed. I really like the blue '05. I like my C10, but ever since riding that C14 I can't get the taste of the instant power out of my mouth. tell me why, if I DO upgrade, I should NOT buy a FJR? is it a good bike? I like the twin pipes over the C14 plus, I saw an '05 for $5500 on ebay.
If your gonna get an FJR, I'd recommend an '06 or newer. They gave it a refresh, and took care of the heat issues. But yes it does only have a 5 speed tranny  ???

Both bikes are great rides, but considering you are posting on a Concours owners forum, which one do you think we are gonna recommend?? ;)

Just my $0.2
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline TownsendsFJR1300

• Knowledge is Power!
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 05:55:02 AM »
If your gonna get an FJR, I'd recommend an '06 or newer. They gave it a refresh, and took care of the heat issues. But yes it does only have a 5 speed tranny  ???

Both bikes are great rides, but considering you are posting on a Concours owners forum, which one do you think we are gonna recommend?? ;)

Just my $0.2

Someone asked about the FJR, I responded and gave my opinions. One respondant took part of my response out of text (which was NOT approprate, but expected- :(   ). 

As this is a Concours forum, of course I know how folks are going to re-act, its the same on any FJR forum...

No bike is perfect, read the tech section on any bike forum, (including here and the FJR sites) there are problems and usually fixes... 

BTW, as a favor to MIST, (a Concours owner), I designed and manufactured a helmet lock bracket specific for the Concours (as I do for all FJR's and have a distributor for BMW's-"Pirates Lair), non of which have a keyed helmet lock.  He wanted a mounted to the frame, lock assembly that he could re-key to fit the ignition.  Using a Helmet Guardian assembly, I made him one and a couple extra's..

There are still a couple left, after that, their discontinued (under dealer accesssory section). 

Ride safe...

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
I'm a connie man, but there are a lot of FJR's in the Iron Butt's.  They can eat the miles.  I like a few curves in my miles, which is what led me to the connie.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
I'm a connie man, but there are a lot of FJR's in the Iron Butt's.  They can eat the miles.  I like a few curves in my miles, which is what led me to the connie.
The FJR is an older model therefore there's bound to be more of them on the road and hence in iron butt logs.  I personally know 3 guys who jumped on the FJR from the C10 because Kawasaki was slow to update the Concours.  As was said, both are fine bikes and I seriously considered an FJR but I thought my wife would be more comfy on the C14.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »

That's not what I posted, please re-read... 

The FJR does NOT require valve check/adjustments until 25,000 miles. 

Hi again,
I obviously read your post a few times, but I still didn't make out what you meant. Hence my question: why did you write "and requires valve checks at 25,000 miles, not 7,500 miles."? It is clear that you mean that the FJR needs the valve job at 25 k miles, but why the reference to 7,500 miles? That's the part I didn't get. It seems that by exclusion you believe that the C14 needs a valve job at 7500 miles, which is the part that I think is not correct, my number being 26,000 miles or 42,000 km according to my manual. Care to elaborate? :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.