Author Topic: Testing the water-tightness of your saddlebags  (Read 3019 times)

YoDoc

Testing the water-tightness of your saddlebags
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:55:57 PM »
So, I have this awesome water bottle that never leaks, and I took it to Drill today in my saddlebag. I didn't end up getting it out at Drill, and when I got home I was tired, so I just parked and took a nap. When I went back to unpack the bike there was a little puddle under my bag... Oh NO! I open the bag and see this.

I think it held the water IN remarkably well, so maybe that means it'll hold the water OUT well?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Testing the water-tightness of your saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43:23 PM »
My bags get a little bit of water in them if the bike is out in a LOT of rain.  Most minor rains, the bags stay dry.

They have contained most of a cup of coffee, and a large soda at different times.  Minor leaking in both cases.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:46:49 PM »
I live on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula, the Rain Forest is only a few miles away.  The only place wetter is a submarine, and mine have never leaked.  Neither the OEM bags nor any of the five Givi's.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
I live on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula, the Rain Forest is only a few miles away.  The only place wetter is a submarine, and mine have never leaked.  Neither the OEM bags nor any of the five Givi's.

I don't like rain that much... I guess that's why I live in Texas, LOL.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »
I don't like rain that much... I guess that's why I live in Texas, LOL.

If you no like rain so much then I'll  fair a guess that you don't like snow either? Stay out of MI as we gets plenty of both!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:04:25 AM »
Haven't been in a hard rain yet with my 09 but I have washed it plenty of times with no leaks. If they leak I would take it back to have the seals replaced if it's in warranty. It's should be able to be in rain without getting water in the bags.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
I live on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula, the Rain Forest is only a few miles away.  The only place wetter is a submarine

:rotflmao:

Offline okxd45

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »

Truly envy you for your location.  The wife and I stayed at Lake Quinault Lodge this past February and we loved it!  The kids are 18 and 17 so a move out of this hole called SW Oklahoma is in the near future.  If I could just find a federal job in WA, I would be there!  Supposed to be 110º today....... :(
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline timmerz

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
If you no like rain so much then I'll  fair a guess that you don't like snow either? Stay out of MI as we gets plenty of both!
Wow, I knew about the snow in Michigan, but didn't know you got a lot of rain up there also??

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
Wow, I knew about the snow in Michigan, but didn't know you got a lot of rain up there also??

As of lately YES.........
Tony P. Crochet

Offline timmerz

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
As of lately YES.........
Don't know why, T but I thought you lived in Ukiah, Ca? Must have gotcha mixed up with another forumite...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
Don't know why, T but I thought you lived in Ukiah, Ca? Must have gotcha mixed up with another forumite...

I think Bergman lives there?

Been in MI for the last 15 years, lived in Houma LA before that.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline okxd45

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
Well to stay on topic; glad to hear these bags are water tight.  The one time I rode in the rain, all was dry as well.  But Nosmo's testimony makes me feel better! :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline timmerz

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
I think Bergman lives there?

Been in MI for the last 15 years, lived in Houma LA before that.

Ah, that 'splains it! I was toying with the thought of dragging my laptop with me next year for the SheetIron 300 and contacting the Ukiah person to see if i could buy 'em a tall draft on my way through Ukiah from Stonyford to Ft. Bragg....it would be a welcome respite for the monkey-butt!

...and I do TOTALLY apologize, Mr. okxd45...you're completely right!