Author Topic: Slow Tire Leak  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Slow Tire Leak
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
More Winter aggravation. My rear tire has a slow leak. Not exactly sure what's leaking, although it was plugged last Summer with no issues. It's lost three pounds in two days.

Any thoughts on how to stop it?  The tire is a fairly new PR2 with hardly any wear on it. I don't want to put some sort of Slime crap or fix a flat because of the TPMS.

Offline jamiemac

Re: Slow Tire Leak
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »
It's probably the plug. I'd take the tire off and patch it. Plugs usually work pretty good, but sometimes a patch is the way to go.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »
It seems that cold weather can affect the air tightness of a plug. Also, sometimes when the tire tread wears the plug loses some of its seal. Best thing is to install an internal patch if that is cost effective. I have successfully stuck in new plug a few times but it has not always worked.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
Spray some Windex or soapy mixture on the tire til it bubbles up and you'll find your leak.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texrider

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Once a tire has been holed, the carcass can channel leaks all around the puncture that a plug can't seal. A big inside patch may do it, or junk the tire.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
Slow tire? Must be on a black bike...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 07:18:26 AM »
Indeed!  Our tires leak faster.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline koval68

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
It's probably the plug. I'd take the tire off and patch it. Plugs usually work pretty good, but sometimes a patch is the way to go.
+1.   You may have a problem finding shop that will install inside patch in motorcycle tire for you.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »
A new tire is the best way to go, Hate to have a plug or patch give out while your on the road.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Broz

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
Check the valve stem. After having a new tire mounted on my Vulcan I had the same problem and it was a loose valve stem. I tightened it and it has been good since.
Broz

Ps Merry Christmas!
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Z71

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 10:35:50 PM »
The safest way to plug a punctured tire is with a combination plug/patch. But this obviously involves removing the tire from the rim and reinstallation on the rim.
Most tire stores use patch/plug these days to fix car tire flats.

Patches are OK if the hole is small and near the center of the tire.  I have run into problems trying to use a patch on car tire punctures that were too close to the sidewall.  In one case, the constant flexing of the sidewall caused the patch edges to curl up and finally the whole patch came loose, causing tire to leak again.

The only practical way to fix a tire punctured very close to the sidewall is with a plug.  Do not attempt to plug a tire punctured on the sidewall itself, except in an emergency and then be very careful,  limit your speed,  and replace the tire at first opportunity.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
I have the same problem and it is my plug.  LOTS of tread left so I am at a cross roads.  If I had a tire machine then it would be a lot easier.  I would hate to pay for a patch and then it leak a short time later.  I tried to replug it but it still leaks from the plug (soap test).  I am just adding air before riding until I figure it out. 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
A new tire is the best way to go, Hate to have a plug or patch give out while your on the road.

+1

Yeah I run plugs all the time but once a tire is a hassle its gotta' go!  Just for convenience. 

I mean if you're taking a rim/tire off anyway why patch a POS when you can simply replace it
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
+1

Yeah I run plugs all the time but once a tire is a hassle its gotta' go!  Just for convenience. 

I mean if you're taking a rim/tire off anyway why patch a POS when you can simply replace it

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  This is actually a replacement tire that I had ordered for one that was unrepairably damaged by a large metal object putting a quarter inch gash in the tread.  I couldn't even get a plug to hold for the trip home.  Plus the tire was already mounted twice - the zoo animals that mounted it, put it on backwards initially.