Author Topic: texting while driving  (Read 18518 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: cell phones and motorcycles
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »
cell phone /texting blah! just another distraction.  I see many distracted with GPS routes and such when I'm on rides too.  Of course I never text or GPS or send emailfrom my bike
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:00:58 AM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
http://www.wesh.com/slideshow/news/25114807/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A photo taken by a WESH 2 viewer this week showed an Orange County Sheriff's Office deputy riding a motorcycle on Interstate 4 through downtown Orlando while looking at his cell phone.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/25120624/detail.html#ixzz1VL9a8Zjs

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Re: texting while driving
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »
Well, there's your first problem.  Grenades are for blowing things up, not flying...
 ;D

Seriously, though, talking into a device while driving isn't new.  Truck drivers have been using CB's for years.  Texting, however, does require more brain activity than running your mouth, and that activity would be better used paying attention to the road.

as well as eating, talking, fiddling with the radio, etc ad nauseum.... but a few have decided to climb onto their pedestals and preach the truth! Amen, and hallelujah!
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Indeed, Rader said the study also indicates that even though cell phone usage nationally has exploded over the past several years, and more than 89 percent of the U.S. population owns a cell phone, there has been no uptick nationally in the number of car accidents.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10444717-266.html

`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
Most statistics are bullshite.......I go by what I see instead.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Not just cell phones. Check this out:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/127938763.html

Every morning while commuting to work at 4:30 - 5:50 am, I see a new way to drive stupid.  Drivers around here are "hiding" their smart phones or whatever down in their speedometer so they can watch streaming video while driving at 70 - 80 MPH.  From a tall vehicle or truck you can see the glow of the video.  LEO's haven't caught on yet, I think.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:02 AM »
Big deal?

Read above about my cell phone usage. Deputies are human too and GPS, lip stick or cell phones............   distractions are distractions.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
cell phone /texting blah! just another distraction.  I see many distracted with GPS routes and such when I'm on rides too.  Of course I never text or GPS or send email from my bike

^^^^^that. Since the threads are now merged i had to modify comment and remove the "repost"  ;D

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »

That's right! Ignore the facts! They just blind you with smoke and mirrors! The miniscule percentage of people you see as you go about your daily life is a much more accurate representation of the world around you!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
That's right! Ignore the facts! They just blind you with smoke and mirrors! The miniscule percentage of people you see as you go about your daily life is a much more accurate representation of the world around you!

Facts..........miniscule percentage of people? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2011, 01:00:12 AM »

Lets see, collected data over several years from across the entire country vs. What you see tainted by your preconceived notions and prejudices. Gee I just don't know which one I trust more.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »
Poke.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »

That's one way to never be wrong... simply ignore information that doesn't support your theory...

My bike is equipped with a CB, a GPS, a MP3 player, XM and blue tooth cellular... I bet that drives you insane!

Oh, and I haven't had a ticket in 24 years, much less an accident...  ;D
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
That's one way to never be wrong... simply ignore information that doesn't support your theory...

My bike is equipped with a CB, a GPS, a MP3 player, XM and blue tooth cellular... I bet that drives you insane!

+1

Add to mine the power of EVO 4G so i get youtube and TV (plus texting/internet/email) too

Offline Conrad

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

What, no PS3 or Xbox?    ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
What, no PS3 or Xbox?    ::)

child's play, I prefer text TV / youtube while on my bike !

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
Subject Closed.

Reason: Abusive and Vulgar Texting.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010