Author Topic: Harbor Freight Horns and install...  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
Re: Harbor Freight Horns and install...
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
Thanks so much Gabriel, I’ll take a stab at this ASAP! I should be fine considering I’ve done the valves on this bike and didn’t F anything up....just dont have a ton of experience in the realm of electrical work! I’m REALLY dreading doing steering stem bearing maintenance one day tho. I’m on an 09’ w/ ABS and about 30k miles.
Be sure and report back...

Offline CDII

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
I did the Stebel on my last C14. Fit nicely inder the right side where you have these Harbor Freighters.
The problem was it couldn't be heard by anyone but me. I'm looking for a beter way to get them to project to the front . Any ideas?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 08:01:14 PM »
I did the Stebel on my last C14. Fit nicely inder the right side where you have these Harbor Freighters.
The problem was it couldn't be heard by anyone but me. I'm looking for a beter way to get them to project to the front . Any ideas?

I have the Stebel on the inner right and have used it more than a few times and people seem to hear it quite clearly.  I am glad *I* wear earplugs or earphones under the helmet.  I run it WITH the stock horn.  It is true it would be better if it projected out more, though.... there just isn't any place for it.  A few people somehow mounted it to replace the stock horn, but I think that is too dangerous for the radiator and wouldn't last as long (lots of weather down there).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CDII

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 06:33:04 AM »
Thats a good idea maxtog. I may try running both horns as well.
How does it sound?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
Thats a good idea maxtog. I may try running both horns as well.
How does it sound?

Well, the stock horn, as you know, is puny.  But it is faced forward and less obstructive.

Since the Stebel is running via a relay and its own power feed (don't EVER try to run a Stebel power through the horn switch!!!) there is no reason to NOT leave the stock horn also connected.  It is there, it works, it is "free", it adds more volume, more coverage, AND redundancy in case the airhorn fails for some reason (mine never has).

Honestly, I can't hear the stock horn at all... because the Stebel is so loud.  But I am pretty sure it is working.  Now, if I were standing 20 feet in front, perhaps both can be heard, I still expect the Stebel to be much louder, even then.  Probably should test that at some point, but it obviously requires two people :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 07:26:28 PM »
using the Stebal or even the Wolo version from harbor freight, simply using the horn 'beep" circuit, to power the Wolo BadBoy, or same horns.. is kinda a no brainier, you get your OEM meep meeps, combined with the Honking wakup beiotch.. blast   whats wrong wit dat?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..