Author Topic: Lowering the bike/seat  (Read 60047 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Lowering the bike/seat
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
The thread for "lowering" the C-14- be it seat, bike, or both....

OK, I can't stand that I put all that work into collecting and posting my lowering info and it was all lost after the forum crash.   So, I have pulled back info from the Google Cache and three key messages (out of 9 pages worth) from the previous forum thread and a current status right at the end.  Lots of people posted their valuable info and questions and answers that are obviously not posted here right now.  Hopefully that info will stick around in the Cache for someone wanting to see what others did, their concerns, their criticism (and my replies to such).

It is my hope that the information will be useful to other people facing the same bike-height/seat-height challenges.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:07:52 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Lowering
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
[ 3/20/2011 MESSAGE RE-POSTED FROM GOOGLE CACHE]
 Hi!  I have been lurking for months, reading hundreds of valuable postings here as I decide if I am ready to purchase a 2011 Concours 14.  I must say, you are a great group of people and appreciate the info and experiences you all share.  I am an experienced, 40's rider, who is on his second bike, which is a 2000 ZRX-11.  My ZRX is at the end of its life with quite a bit of carb issues that can't seem to be repaired (long story omitted).  I like powerful, quiet, smooth, upright-seating, modern, 4 cyl bikes (which throws out "cruisers") so the Concours is at the top of my list.

That aside, this is finally my first posting.  I am starting a new "lowering" thread because similar ones are mostly old.  Please forgive me if that is not the best practice.  Plus, forgive the length of this posting, but I am trying to be thorough :)

The only major thing holding me back from joining you as a Concours owner is my body.  I am not a big person, at 5'7", 155lbs.  Even though I am [barely] average male height for my age bracket, I have dis-proportionally short legs.  When I sit, I am the height of someone 5'11.  But when I stand, that quickly disappears.  Unfortunately, bikes of the non-cruiser type are not terribly compatible with short legs.

The body measurement that matters with bike height is "true/actual/anatomical" inseam.  This is not the same as a clothing pants inseam, which is notoriously inaccurate.  You can determine a true inseam with the "clipboard in the crotch" method (here is an example: http://www.precisiontandems.com/inseam.htm (you can do it alone, although it is tricky)) and mine is 30".  My typical clothing inseam is 26.5".

I sat on a Concours (several times) at the dealer.  Wearing tennis shoes, I can just barely touch my tippie toes on both feet to the floor.  Wearing my riding boots, I can touch toes more solidly (but not ball of foot at all).  The Concours is a much larger bike than the ZRX, so the amount of foot ground contact is very important for control (while stopped, after a foot slip, trying to back up, leverage for recovering a tip, etc).

There appears to be only three ways to address the issue- lowering the suspension, lowering the seat, and/or wearing "platform" boots.  My boots are already 1/2" at the ball and 1.75" at mid heel.  I would be willing to try and add SOME to that, but a guy wearing platform shoes is a bit... well... embarrassing.

Seat lowering is a no-brainer- it doesn't affect the bike in any negative way.  So I am looking at the low-height Sargent seat.  But that will only lower the riding position by 1.5" (if you believe the materials).  Obviously not low enough for my size.

So I am left with also lowering the actual bike.  I am looking at the Muzzy lowering links for the back (supposedly a 1.5" rear lowering) and dropping the fork tubes in the front (by using the Helibars risers for clearance).  I know this is controversial, but I don't see that I would have much choice.

Unfortunately, that is, at most, around only 3".  Not sure that will be enough.  I  lowered my old ZRX in a similar way (collapsed rear spring coils by de-tempering/heat, lowered front tubes, and cut the seat down) but it was never quite enough and the Concours is even taller stock height (1" taller!), bigger, and heavier.

So, if you have some similar issues, any questions you can answer would be extremely helpful in assisting me with my decisions (and hopefully other people monitoring the thread now and in the future):

1) Are you leg-length challenged? What is your true/anatomical inseam (see above to compute it)?
2) How did you address your height issues?  What are your reasons?
3) Did you use the Muzzy lowering links?  What is the exact drop of the rear?  Did you use some other links or method?
4) How much have you ever lowered the front?  In what way?  How far did you ultimately lower?  How did it affect your handling with various drops?
5) If you lowered, how did you address the kickstand?  Did you do anything with the center stand?
6) Have you had any "bottoming out" problems if you lowered?  Have you had any problems with road disturbances (speed bumps, dips, etc)?
7) What suspension settings are you using (dial settings)?  Why?  What did you learn?
8 ) Have you ever had a low or no-speed drop of the bike that could have been prevented if it was lower?
9) Have you fixed your issues?  Are you happy?  Are you safe?  Any other advice?

I look forward to some good discussion :)   Thanks
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »
[REPOSTED FROM GOOGLE CACHE]
Well, I took the plunge and bought a silver 2011.  It is sitting in my driveway as of today and calling to me "please ride me".  Will be a while, though...

I plan on trying all three ways to deal with the height.  I have my boots at the repair place being taken apart and raised 5/8" to 3/4", a low Sargent seat on order, the Helibars on order, and Muzzy rear links on order (I considered Soupy's- pricing is better and adjustability would have been nice, but I didn't want to lose the center stand)  The Soupy's kickstand arrived today already (pretty fancy chunk of aluminum).  Will post more info when I ever get the stuff- hopefully detail specs, review of installation, and results!  Wish me luck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
[REPOSTED FROM GOOGLE CACHE]
OK, the lowering is completed and I have some data to share:

We measured the seat height in stages.  It is not easy- one person has to hold the bike level (with a level), the other person has to use yet another long level at the lowest seat spot and measure to the ground.  Regardless of any marketing material/etc, the 2011 Concours has a stock seat height of 32 3/8".

We then installed the Sargent low World Sport seat.  It is nice, but it is really a pain to get on the bike.... and I thought the STOCK seat was difficult.  Yeesh.   It lowered the height to 31 1/2".  This is not what Sargent claims- they claim it is 1.375" lower, it is actually 0.875" lower, a variance of 1/2".... disappointing.

We then installed the Muzzy links.  Placed it on center stand- it is tricky to remove the bolts since one will hit the exhaust.  You have to slide the sleeve to the other side and push the bolt out at an angle.  We performed separate measurements from the axle to the body and the drop was exactly 1" (which was disappointing, since some people were claiming 1 1/2" or more).  Why Muzzy doesn't TELL customers the drop measurement, I can't imagine.    At least you CAN still use the center stand, although it is much harder to activate than stock.  Remeasured seat height at 30 3/4".

Then installed the Helibars risers- it was a snap, no mods needed at all (looks great, functions well).  We could then raise the fork tubes.  Now THAT was a pain- trying to access the front/lower fork clamp bolts is quite difficult and we ended up removing the horn bracket and plastic thing above it.  Some math and we determined that to match the rear drop of 1", we would have to raise the tubes 1 1/8", which we then did.  That should theoretically keep the handling about the same as stock.  Remeasured seat height at 30 5/8".

So all that work and expense and the lowering was only 1.9".  This is not what I expected.  Perhaps it will settle some, not sure.  I used the same procedure to measure my ZRX, and it was lowered to 29 5/8", and it was still a bit too tall.  I *still* can't even test drive this new Concours because my only riding boots are still at the shoe repair place being modified.  In tennis shoes, I am on my toes; but at least I was able to stand the bike up and even back it up on a smooth garage floor (before I had to strain to touch toes and could not even stand up the bike).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:58:30 PM by maxtog »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
I had since gotten back the raised boots ($100 mod, before/after picture attached)- not raised quite as much as I had hoped.  Plus the heel ended up the same height (which I suppose is OK, since I needed toe/ball height more).  Since getting the boots, I have put 500 miles on the bike (wish it could be more, but job is a nightmare lately, and weather almost as bad).  The above mods plus the boots make it possible to manage the bike, although it is still not "comfortable"... I dread placing my foot on loose gravel or something slick, I just don't have the leverage I would need to prevent a fall (although it hasn't happened yet).  And backing up the bike is another challenge, I am trying to be especially careful where/how I park.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Lowering the bike/seat
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:26:54 AM »
Thanks for doing that.... :goodpost:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »
So, reading the specifics about the Muzzy brackets AND the front fork adjustments-  Can I safely assume that returning the bike to it's original height is 'doable'? (as in not having to take it to the shop)...  Sounds like 4 bolts underneath, and 4 hard-to-get-to screws up front?
Thanks for the feedback.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
So, reading the specifics about the Muzzy brackets AND the front fork adjustments-  Can I safely assume that returning the bike to it's original height is 'doable'? (as in not having to take it to the shop)...  Sounds like 4 bolts underneath, and 4 hard-to-get-to screws up front?
Thanks for the feedback.

Sure, it's as simple as "undoing" the steps he listed (move tubes back down, put stock dogs back on).
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
Sure, it's as simple as "undoing" the steps he listed (move tubes back down, put stock dogs back on).

Yep.  But undoing the modification to my boots..... well... that would be a challenge at this point :)

Offline samh

• Personal / Consulting Website - Software Engineering & Design
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
Reviving an old thread.

Can you elaborate on the center stand?  How hard is it to use with the bike lowered?

Thanks
SH

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
Reviving an old thread.

Can you elaborate on the center stand?  How hard is it to use with the bike lowered?

Thanks
SH
The only way to put it over the center stand is if you put the rear wheel over a 1" thick piece of wood, i did buy  a side stand and a center stand at a very good price from EBAY to modified them  and keep the stock ones in case  i sell it or have to bring to the stealer for warranty purposes
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »
For those with short leg problems as me  only lowering or replacing the seat is not enough it should be combined with lowering links, while i sent my seat to Spencer to have it modified i did seat on the bike without the seat and it was harder to reach the floor than it is with the seat on, that section of the tank under the seat is to wide and keep your legs apart
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
The only way to put it over the center stand is if you put the rear wheel over a 1" thick piece of wood

I wouldn't say that is the ONLY way.  Several people have posted they are still able to use the center stand as before, without a ramp, it is just more difficult.  The wood trick is a good one, though.   I haven't tried to use the center stand, nor will I (there is no need for it other than service) so I can't comment about personal experience before/after lowering.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
hey Maxtog. how did you figure the math for the front forks?  was thinking about doing some lowering myself but won't  have to go as far down as you did. I was thinking about use the soupy links for a 1/2" drop on the rear along with reworking the seat too. just trying to figure the fork drop.
  questions,, any problems with the fender hitting the fairing since its been lowered?
and why can't the center stand be use with the soupy links?
can center stand be modded the work with the soupy link?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
hey Maxtog. how did you figure the math for the front forks?

Just basic geometry/trig.  I knew the fork angles and such from the specs.  Dropped a triangle and computed what the length of the tube would have to change to lower the bike exactly 1" to match the rear lowering.  I had my conclusions checked out by a friend who is a master mechanic and was a race car suspension expert (and who also rides bikes).  The tube raising is going to be a little more than the amount the rear drops.

questions,, any problems with the fender hitting the fairing since its been lowered?

No.  But I wouldn't go any farther than what I did :)

and why can't the center stand be use with the soupy links?

If I remember correctly it is because their design is different-  The adjustable Soupy's links take up more space and would collide with the stand, unlike the fixed, stock-like-design Muzzy links.

can center stand be modded the work with the soupy link?

Sorry, I can't answer that.  I just don't know.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
I did use Muzzy's but I did not raise the tubes to match. Some good members here said it will definitely require a shorter side stand. Without touching the front, the stock side stand works. Since I do not have a manual yet, what do you do to lower or raise the tubes? If I get a used side stand, I might try that.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
thanks,,,

Just basic geometry/trig.  I knew the fork angles and such from the specs.  Dropped a triangle and computed what the length of the tube would have to change to lower the bike exactly 1" to match the rear lowering.  I had my conclusions checked out by a friend who is a master mechanic and was a race car suspension expert (and who also rides bikes).  The tube raising is going to be a little more than the amount the rear drops.

No.  But I wouldn't go any farther than what I did :)

If I remember correctly it is because their design is different-  The adjustable Soupy's links take up more space and would collide with the stand, unlike the fixed, stock-like-design Muzzy links.

Sorry, I can't answer that.  I just don't know.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
I did use Muzzy's but I did not raise the tubes to match. Some good members here said it will definitely require a shorter side stand. Without touching the front, the stock side stand works.

If you lower the bike 1" properly (both front and back) the side kickstand will simply be too long.  I had to replace mine (see my first postings).

Since I do not have a manual yet, what do you do to lower or raise the tubes?

Step 1- purchase and install handlebar risers.  Without them, you cannot raise the tubes.  Once you have done that, it is easy, you just loosen some bolts and carefully twist the tubes up, making ABSOLUTELY SURE you have them both at exactly the same height.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
If you lower the rear .......the bike will be very difficult to put on the centerstand.  I removed my stand and cut both legs 3/4 inch and rewelded the base legs...works perfect and just as easy to put on the center stand as stock height.

Muzzy links let you use the stock center stand...soupys dont.  You can send your center stand to Muzzy.....he will charge you 149.99 for a shorter stand and give you a core charge exchange for your stock unit....the price is $77.95 with the new core exchange from you to Muzzy.

Muzzy links are a fixed set height spacing.  There are several for sale on E bay that have 3 holes on one end which gives you 3 different suspension heights to choose from......try to see what you like...anytime you lower your height, you must either get an adjustable sidestand....or cut your stock one and reweld accordingly......any welding shop can do it for you in 20 minutes for about 25.00.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Word(s) of caution.  I bought the 08 slightly used.  It had been lowered using the Muzzy brackets as well as having the forks pushed up about an inch or so....
If you do this....your oil drain plug will take a beating (driveways and speed bumps, etc).  Your toes/foot pegs will be close to the ground in turns/curves.
I cover my bike at work, and while on the kickstand, she blew over onto the right side.  Unless you shorten your kickstand, the bike will sit VERY upright on the kickstand. The cover acted like a parachute and pulled it right over.    >:(
I've returned the bike to stock height- very happy with it.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom