Author Topic: Random nonsense  (Read 24932 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Re: Random nonsense
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2024, 06:06:13 PM »
I should've been more specific. Got plenty of gear. Backpacking included. Done plenty of pack in camp trips and hunts. Used to carrying a lot of gear. Didn't know if people had any specific tips. Like I think I'm going to pack my sleeping bag right behind the front seat so I can have a bit of a back rest.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2024, 05:03:27 AM »
I should've been more specific. Got plenty of gear. Backpacking included. Done plenty of pack in camp trips and hunts. Used to carrying a lot of gear. Didn't know if people had any specific tips. Like I think I'm going to pack my sleeping bag right behind the front seat so I can have a bit of a back rest.
Since you will be carrying most of the gear (unless your better-half also rides a C14), don't forget to refer to your bike as "Luggage" at every opportunity.  :rotflmao:

When I used to camp I always put the tent on the back seat as that was the heaviest single item.
The sleeping bag(s) can go on top of the trunk or even on top of the side-bags as they are light.
The ideal is to keep the weight as low as possible as that improves handling and control.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2024, 08:26:42 AM »
I think my cot is going to be the heaviest thing. I'm getting old and don't want to sleep on the ground. I'm probably just overthinking everything because I want it to go really well. Our campsites aren't more than an hour from a city anyway, should I need something.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2024, 11:59:16 AM »
Not much progress on the race car. Got a new seat from Deathwish. Top Sellier. It's even taller than the custom tall seat I had made. Pretty decent seat. Finalizing the planning for my after wedding party next month... I hate organizing events.

How are you holding up, Jim?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2024, 09:25:31 AM »
Getting better every week, Red.  I actually walked around our block yesterday (75 degrees outside).  I had to stop a few times as I was getting tired but I made it home.  Carried a cane just in case and I actually started using it as an assist the last 100 yards or so.  Now I'm getting severe indigestion which I never had before the op.  I think I've figured it out though.  I've continued taking diclofenec twice a day after I stopped the pantoprozole.  Didn't put those  two together when I was taking it and the antacid.  So now I've stopped the diclofenec to see if any pain gets worse, but so far so good although this is the first day lol.

Now for something completely different.  Saw a show that highlighted Hillbilly Hotdogs in WV.  Told the wife, sounds like a road trip.  6 to 7 hours from me but might piggy back on a visit to the AF Museum in Dayton, OH.  I'm keenly interested in the Homewrecker dog.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2024, 09:03:19 AM »
I love specialty hotdogs. Being in Phoenix, I’m spoiled for choice on Sonoran dogs. I love a good Chicago dog, too.

Got more than half the roll cage welded into my car. Not my greatest welding, but it is coming along.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2024, 10:05:00 AM »
Welded in some more floor plates for the cage in my drag car this weekend. Also finally installed all my switchback stuff and tail tidy on my 2010. I forgot how much I liked the extra lighting.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2024, 12:33:53 PM »
60mph crosswind on I-40 blew my magnetic tank bag clear off my bike. Riding in it wasn't much fun, either. Had to knock 300 miles off of our camping/touring trip, but it was the far safer option.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2024, 06:32:12 PM »
Damn. Those are dangerous winds. You could get blown to the side as well. I'm a little girl. I can't handle winds over 25mph

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #249 on: March 08, 2024, 06:33:25 PM »
Did you lose any valuables?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2024, 07:19:10 AM »
The Marsee magnetic bag was very secure and I've rode with it on without issue cross country to Reno and back.  Winds were heck but it stayed on.

Red, I hope you were able to retrieve it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2024, 03:25:08 AM »
Many many moons ago I was riding my old C10 "Sanji" to my sisters in 80mph gusting winds. It was hard work (mostly a headwind) and guzzled fuel, but about 50 miles from getting there I crossed a bridge and the winds chose that moment to become a sidewind. Luckily there were no other vehicles around me as I used both lanes getting across the bridge dragging the left footpeg the entire way across in a mostly straight line. About 3 miles further on I found a Motel, chained my bike to a heavy steel post that was well concreted in and checked in for the night.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2024, 12:30:26 PM »
I did get my bag back, miraculously virtually undamaged. I had my spare Packtalk Bold and my 35mm Canon FTb in there. The video of the ride doesn't do it justice. Which is just as good, as family is the intended audience for the video and I'd rather not hear about how dumb it was. The bag is a Chase Harper 650. It's super secure and I never had any issues before. Just the right gust.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2024, 09:50:16 AM »
Just bought a 5" waterproof carplay screen from AliExpress. When it gets here, I'm going to do a little review.  I'm excited to mount it and keep my phone out of the Phoenix summer sun.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2024, 10:09:32 AM »
Just bought a 5" waterproof carplay screen from AliExpress. When it gets here, I'm going to do a little review.  I'm excited to mount it and keep my phone out of the Phoenix summer sun.
Very interesting.  I am looking forward to it.  Presently, I have an iPhone that I use a quadlock charger to mount to my bike.  I do not like how hot it gets.  In fact, I’ve had the phone shut down as a result. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2024, 02:14:01 PM »
Very interesting.  I am looking forward to it.  Presently, I have an iPhone that I use a quadlock charger to mount to my bike.  I do not like how hot it gets.  In fact, I’ve had the phone shut down as a result.

I don't even use the quadlock charger. Just sitting on the mount, my phone has gotten hot enough to shut down.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2024, 05:19:52 PM »
I've never ordered from AliExpress. I would like a review on that :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2024, 04:31:09 PM »
I've never ordered from AliExpress. I would like a review on that :)

I have.  I bought a stainless steel watch band for my Galaxy Watch 4 Classic because I simply couldn't find one I liked anywhere else.  It actually turned out fine.  Took a while to get here, but no problems at all.  Was actually exactly as described, fit perfectly, good quality, low price, and has lasted for years.   I think it was the only time I have used them.  Of course, experiences are likely to vary a lot.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2024, 05:43:30 PM »
Thank you for that review, Max. Between aliExpress and the new temu site, I think our choices for buying international has widened. I only know eBay and Amazon. I am looking to try other venues because The variety seems wider and prices better.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2024, 09:06:43 AM »
I've never not received something I ordered from AliExpress. There has been stuff that is not quite as advertised, but close. I've had no issues with Temu, either.