Author Topic: Nebraska - Gavins Point ride June 25th  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Summit670

Nebraska - Gavins Point ride June 25th
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
Late notice but a few of us are thinking about going from Lincoln to Gavins Point dam to check out the huge water discharge from the dam. 

Anyone want to come along?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Kazairl

Re: Nebraska - Gavins Point ride June 25th
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:45 AM »
If I wasn't on the other end of the state I would. Sounds like fun.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »
We are leaving at 8:30 Friday the 24th.  It'll be a flatlander adventure.  Niagra Fall passes 100,000cfs and Gavins is supposed to be up to 160,000cfs as of today.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:35:25 AM »
Throw message in a bottle with a big Hi-Vis flag, and I will see if it floats down here to Kansas in about a week!

The river is really coming up down here near Leavenworth/Atchison (As well as everywhere else).

I work with the county road crew, and I took these pictures yesterday near Missouri River MP-407.
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline fisheyes

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
i would still be up for it if you guys havent left yet and get this before you leave, you can call me at 402-968-1745

Nate

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:58 PM »
We went today and got back around 7pm.  It is something to see and the roads were good too.  It is like a tourist attraction at the dam.  The road over the top is closed M-F but isn't that big of detour going thru Yankton, like 4 miles to the turn.

Right now the west end of the parking lot is continually getting splashed and it wet from mist.  I wouldn't be surprised if they rope off the west end of the lot because there are some pretty big water splashes going onto the spectator area and the kids are having a blast getting wet.

Tried to stay on the smaller hwys and there was little traffic in the morning.

The park ranger said they would probably be realeasing the same amount of water for many weeks.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline fisheyes

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 01:03:23 AM »
Thanks for the pointers, i figured i missed you guys but a few of us are going to head up on sunday morning.  I fish up there sometimes should be interesting to see compared to how it normally is.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
Was the old fort compound on the reservoir side affected by the high water levels?  IIRC, my brother & I stopped there for a break from our trip to Sturgis back in '03 & was impressed by the amount of area the fort encompassed.   
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
Didn't look for the fort.

The water is nearly to the bathrooms and parking lot on the  south side of river just down from the dam.  There is a boat ramp on the east end of this lot.  We heard they are not allowing boat's anywhere close to the dam.  We crossed at Yankton and didn't see any boats on the river.

Backhoes are busy trying to keep rip rap on the riverbanks on the north side by the dam.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline fisheyes

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Just got back from Gavins Point,...........That is alot of water flowing out of there and tons of people, like you said its almost like a tourist attraction at this point.  we ate at Murdos on the nebraska side of the river exellent food.  We even managed to slip right between two thunderstorms on our way back and managed to not get wet.   

Offline Summit670

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »
We weren't so luck with rain.  It was a 10% chance the day we went and we hit a downpour about 45 minutes into the ride.  Only lasted about 15 minutes then rained off and on for another hour.  Then the sun came out and dried us off and good from there.

I heard a rumor of 200,000 cfs is the new number but no confirmation of that.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules