Author Topic: C10 fairing alternatives?  (Read 4769 times)

Offline timmerz

C10 fairing alternatives?
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
Well, for reasons I would rather not go into here, my main fairing on my '91 C10 is completely trashed on the left side. Has anybody experimented with other smaller fairings from Kaw or any other bike mfg? I think I remember seeing some one-offs done by a couple of folks here in the old days, but I have to steer clear of the more expensive options, and either go completely naked, I guess, or a small partial fairing would be my preference...anybody seen anything like a clip-on that might fit?

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
Re: C10 fairing alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
I don't have the time to pick through all the volumes of my Concours Album but there are many frugal alternatives in them. Mainly cut-down versions of the original but a few from the Ninja family of fairings as well.

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_kawasaki_concours

My favorite is a Concours with a Ninja 1000R fairing. Probably near impossible to find today it does give you an idea what is possible.

At first glance the bike looks like a Ninja 1000R though along side a genuine Ninja you can tell it was originally a Concours. If it was a Ninja its perimeter frame would be visible in the gap between the lower fairing panels and the side panels. The fork, front wheel, and forward bodywork are Ninja, but the handlebars, gas tank, side panels, seat, and tailpiece are definitely Concours. The old Ninja fork is junk and the wheel is 16 inches. Prime for a ZRX frontend upgrade. The tighter fitting fairing and sport windshield blends perfectly with the Concours tank and plastic. The bike certainly looks like a Ninja. Don't know if he added the Ninja carbs and cams.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
Elvin, that is bad-azzzz...thanks for the link and info...

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »
Here is a project I was in the middle of until someone made an offer to buy it as is.  I retained the fairing, stay and gauges as seller was going to make it into a naked street fighter.

Pics are of an unfinished project but might give you ideas.

The fairing is from a 1995 GPZ 1100E on a modified 86-93 fairing stay that receives both the fairing and a C10 94-06 gauge set.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Stasch

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
Here's how it looked once the engine was running - had a bit of a flat tracker look to it in the front.

I always thought a small yet bright LED headlight, or a traditional round one along with a National cycle Plexifairing might have worked to make a serviceable bike that you could use for longer distance and have some wind break.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline timmerz

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »
That's really interesting! I never knew our C10's had that much rake to the forks...I actually discovered a new Ebay listing for a full upper fairing from a '91 (correct color!!) that I could afford, and snapped it up...since I bought this bike 'way back in '06 it's had a plum-colored main fairing on a black bike...

Thanks very much for the info, fellas!