Author Topic: Deer... I think I won this round  (Read 5628 times)

Offline bigdaddyjob

Deer... I think I won this round
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »
Anyway, as you can expect from the title, I have collided with a deer on my poor 2011. I was on the interstate headed to work and it was a beautiful morning. 20mph wind at my back, 50-60mpg reading on the LCD, and the sun was just high enough that my tinted visor was giving me perfect vision.
It was a full size doe that came out of the tall grass in the median. The gentleman that stopped to make sure I was alright said that he didnt see the deer until it was right next to me, so that makes me feel a bit better that I didn't see it either. Anyway, as you can tell from the picture, the head hit the corner of my headlight and the body swung around and hit the bike. I kept the bike up, and was able to get it safely off the road. The deer then swung around behind me (maybe already dead, maybe not) and was then hit by a semi... red jello.
Tore basically the entire left side off the bike. The front air-intake as you can see is gone, the headlight is busted, footpeg/bracket/shifter linkage are all tore off. The front blinker is sitting just behind the cylinders, and the tail section is also busted up. There is some stress cracking on the right side of the bike as well, but nothing missing. I am fine, bruised leg, bruised tibia/fibula, brused ego, but I am alive and writing this, so its not all bad.
I do have some questions for you guys, what kinda damage do you think Im looking at (cost wise), the bike has full insurance and will be completely fixed, but do you all think Ive got totaled numbers on my hands? Im thinking almost all the plastics will need replaced, headlight, left saddlebag and mounts (yes the bags were on when this happened... in this picture its back a 100 yards or so on the interstate), and the blinker mounts, shifter linkage, footpeg bracket, and maybe a radiator mount/radiator, glovebox.
P.S. - bought the bike in October, love it, and just rolled 3,700 miles on her.

Offline galaxieman

Re: Deer... I think I won this round
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
Don't have any numbers on $$ for plastics, but it looks like you dodged a bullet (in more ways than one!) since the deer hit the side of the fairing instead of the forks.  Having hit a deer myself, I can relate to the bruised ego... the best thing is that you're fine.  Bikes can be repaired to 'like new' status, we're a bit harder to repair as thoroughly.  Assuming the forks and frame didn't get scuffed up, you should hopefully be OK with regards to not having the bike totaled out.  Way to keep your head on straight and get pulled over safely.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »
 :o

Wow! Glad to hear you're ok BDJ!  :chugbeer:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »
Glad you're OK 

Jap bikes are as replaceable as Bic lighters, but glad you're OK!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jayke

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Glad you're ok too.  Had to have been quite a scare.

On the parts cost, I hit a buzzard last year on my '08.  Just the headlights and upper fairing with no labor was $800.  If you're really curious look the parts up over at Ron Ayers.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »
Just a bruise, definitely a win.  When in doubt GAS it.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline bigdaddyjob

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
I almost wish I had time to react, but I didn't even know it was there till it hit. The guy behind me said that it must have been bed down in the median because he didn't see it until it "popped" out.

Offline yoman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
Glad your okay. It's a cool story when you live to tell about it!
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
I almost wish I had time to react, but I didn't even know it was there till it hit. The guy behind me said that it must have been bed down in the median because he didn't see it until it "popped" out.

As long as you were power on at impact.  Whether intentional or by accident.  We are happy you are basically unharmed, bike is fixable. :thumbs:
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Makz58

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Glad you're OK 

Jap bikes are as replaceable as Bic lighters, but glad you're OK!
Really like the Jap comment keeps all the discrimination (SP) going....
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »
One of my biggest fears!!!! The pigs here too!

Glad you're well!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
Did the same thing with my wife on the back and it totaled my '07. You're most likely getting another bike I'm afraid. My insurance got me another Connie so hopefully you'll be able to also.  :-\
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Glad your okay.  A full size doe ya say?  Where ya hanging your hat?  In the midwest full size doe's can mess stuff up in a real hurry.

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
Sorry you had to go through this and glad you are okay.

And speaking of pigs - about two years ago I was riding my Ultra Classic from Fort Worth to OKC on a beautiful autumn morning when I spotted what looked like a large sofa crossing I-35 a hundred yards or so in front of me. I was prob doing about 80 mph and closed to find the sofa was actually a sow and maybe 8 piglets of about 30 pound each.

I slowed and made sure they were completely across the interstate as I passed, but these things are a hazard and quickly overtaking parts of the south. In a few years they'll be more prolific that deer as they breed quicker and are constantly on the move. Be aware!

Offline bigdaddyjob

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
Hanging my hat in Mitchell, SD currently. I am still waiting to hear back from the insurance company as to the official damage report. Doesn't sound good after the visual inspection though. I am VERY thankful though of that mornings events. I had just dropped my wife off at work and was headed back to Mitchell Solo. I think it may have been blind luck that kept that bike upright, but with another person in the saddle, that may have been a different story. Thanks for the wishes guys! As of right now, I'm riding to work in the mornings on my wife's 2002 Vucan 500... WOW, that is a change of pace from what I've been used to...

Offline SoberFX

• 2008 Concours 14 It's All Good!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
No one asked but was there enough deer left for burgers?  Just kidding! Glad you stayed up and were only bruised!

SoberFX
2008 Concours 14
1958 HD Duo-Glide