Author Topic: LOUD pipes and neighbor  (Read 12400 times)

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
LOUD pipes and neighbor
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
my wife and I just bought and moved to a home in a nice neighbor hood. So far we like the area and so forth,
but
up the street about 3 houses is a guy with a Harley that has about the loudest pipes I have heard, almost every night about 8-10 pm he goes up and down the street full throttle and then no throttle like he is checking some work he has just done to it. at that time in the evening we are watching tv and when he goes by it is so loud you can not hear the tv. I have to believe there are other neighbors that feel like me and wish he would go check it out, out on the open road and not just to the corner and then back to his house.

so

how do I handle this without pi$$in off the neighbors or getting my a$$ kicked?
I ride with some Harley folks once in a while and if I get tired of the noise I just pass em and the noise is behind me. but this guy is getting on my last nerve

2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline Cold Streak

Re: LOUD pipes and neighbor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I think I'd watch for some day when he's outside or in the garage.  Walk down there with a couple of beers, talk bikes, talk  football, whatever, then mention that some of the neighbors are getting pissed about all the noise he's making and are ready to call the cops.  You told the neighbors to settle down and you'd go talk to him as a fellow biker and let him know what' up.  If that doesn't work, he's an azzhole and deserves to be dealt with as such.  Burning down his garage might be too extreme, but if it happened I'm sure you wouldn't know anything about it.   ::)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Be neighborly and go for a ride with him. Once you're 50 miles from home he probably won't be able to find his way home again.

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
The answer lies in this video, one of my favorites by the way!
Gatling Gun

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
Damn that gunner was good!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
If you can't beat em, join em... Get louder pipes for your bikes, I hear 2bros are the loudest...  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
Just tell him.  He may be the guy everyone on the block loves, or he may be the local bully.  Regardless, the longer you stew over it the worse it will be when he is finally confronted.  See if any of the other neighbors have an issue, there is strength in numbers.  If it continues after talking with him and it continues, call in the law.  You have as much right to the neighborhood as he does.
BTDT, sorry you have this in front of you, inconsiderate people suck >:(

Offline danl

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:11:12 AM »
It's funny how people think that because a guy rides a loud Harley that he'll kick their ass if they say anything to him.

I like Cold Streak's idea. Maybe get some feedback from a couple other neighbors 1st. I bet they feel the same as you.

We just put some aftermarket pipes on my wife's Vulcan. Her bike was real quiet, not much louder than a stock Connie. Put on a Vance and Hines 2:1 pro pipe. It's pretty loud, but only if you get on it. It idles nice thru the neighborhood and sounds nice, not that "blat blat" sound that is loud with no tone at all. I told her that she has to be cool about it going thru town, because we bitch about the guys who rev their bikes from stop sign to stop sign and sit there cracking the throttle. Don't be one of those guys!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
If you look at any demographic, there is two sides to the coin. Unfortunately, the type that have no concern for neighbors at 10pm at night are probably are cocky and down right idiots. Unless you can stoop down to their level it might be hard to deal with someone like that.
I know this Harley mechanic that always worked on my bikes. He is pretty good and is a die hard Harley fan. But he DOES NOT like loud pipes. I mean the pipes he likes are still loud, but they got the deep bassy sound. Whenever he hears someone with obnoxiously loud pipes pull up to his shop or rides by, he just shakes his head! Of course, he does what the customer ask for - if they want loud pipes, they get loud pipes.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
I think I'd watch for some day when he's outside or in the garage.  Walk down there with a couple of beers, talk bikes, talk  football, whatever, then mention that some of the neighbors are getting pissed about all the noise he's making and are ready to call the cops.  You told the neighbors to settle down and you'd go talk to him as a fellow biker and let him know what' up.  If that doesn't work, he's an azzhole and deserves to be dealt with as such.  Burning down his garage might be too extreme, but if it happened I'm sure you wouldn't know anything about it.   ::)

This is a great idea and if it doesn't work, I have two words for you.

Expanding foam.

I'm kidding of course.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
This is a great idea and if it doesn't work, I have two words for you.

Expanding foam.

I'm kidding of course.
OMG-you DIDN'T go there ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
OMG-you DIDN'T go there ;)

Someone had to right Chet?    :stirpot:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »
I reckon.  Does anyone else carry a small bag of marbles for tailgaters :yikes:

Word of caution to OP, should you decide to add sound deadoning material to your neighbors pipes I would suggest not saying anything to anyone, most certainly not here ;)  Well, OK, let US know, really makes for some entertaining reading and Winter is just 'round the corner for some ;D

Offline danl

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
does anyone actually think that throwing marbles at a tailgater is going to do anything but **** them off? bike vs car- car wins every time. Maybe the guy following you had a bad day, got fired from his job, and you're just the ticket to vent his rage upon, and he runs you over.

A few years back, a couple bikers had words with a guy at an intersection. He ended up following them and running them down, killed both of them. Sure, he got arrested, but it was hardly worth having the last word for the bikers.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
 :popcorn:
It's starting quicker then I imagined.  I'd throw in some history, but that would spoil the fun.
Washer fluid anyone? ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
Nice job there Chet, the natives are restless.    ;)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
:popcorn:
It's starting quicker then I imagined.  I'd throw in some history, but that would spoil the fun.
Washer fluid anyone? ;D

Those pain pills were clouding the mind... LOL!!!!  ;)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
Those pain pills were clouding the mind... LOL!!!!  ;)
That would be a good excuse, 'cept I stopped taking them.  I hate living in a cloud, besides, drugs throw off my aim ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »
That would be a good excuse, 'cept I stopped taking them.  I hate living in a cloud, besides, drugs throw off my aim ;)

My aim is off unless I'm on drugs. Send em to me Chet, I hate wasting bullets.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »
Awe, heck, this thread aint going anywhere anyway--I get $10 a pop on the street, looking to supplement my retirement ;)
I'm thinking about mounting up some paintball guns, two in the trunk facing rearward, one in each bag, leaft and right, and 2 on the front fender.  Freeze them paintballs and wreck havoc on all them murderous cagers.  What color should I use?