Author Topic: We're doomed!  (Read 19057 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: We're doomed!
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
If anyone needed further evidence that 'we're' doomed.

Google 'Blue Whale Game'.     :o

Yeah I saw something about that on facetwit (another Brian term I love!). Man that is screwed up!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
It's those damn Russians again. Must be Trump's fault.

I suppose that the blue whale game might be a bit more fun than that other Russian game of roulette. Although they both end the same way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 11:44:13 AM »
It seems that algebra is too difficult for some segments of the community college student population and they're failing these classes left and right.

The solution? Eliminate that math requirement.   :o

http://northernpublicradio.org/post/say-goodbye-xy-should-community-colleges-abolish-algebra

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
So in the general scheme of life, what is Algebra going to do for me?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »

So lets apply algebra to important matters in the form of a word problem:

If a man drinks 3 bottles of beer per day, how much scotch will he need to buy for the weekend?

See if you have the algebra skills to solve this equation, you will know exactly how much scotch to buy instead of just guessing!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »
Well, assuming he will be buying Scotch on both of his standard liquor store trips over one weekend (two days to a weekend, right?), and using a ratio of 4 Beers = 1 Scotch, I would use the following formula:

E = 2*(Sc + 4B) / D * Bu

Where:

B = beer
Sc = Scotch
St = 'Stumbles', or trips to the liquor store
E = 'Enough', which means too much
D = Day, or one haze filled period of too much brightness followed by just enough darkness
Bu = Buffer or multiplier to assure there will be no sobriety in the event of something extending 'D' above such as 1) an arrest, 2) Daylight savings time kicks in, making a D longer than usual, etc.

Let Bu = 2 because there is no need to take any chances of a 'sudden onset of sobriety'

So, in substitution, (Sc + 4B) * 2 becomes 8 Beers and 2 Scotches, divided by 2, which is 4 beers and 1 Scotch and then some more confusing, unnecessary math and we get:

Stumble to liquor store, empty pockets onto counter and say "Me need dis much drink now" and have friendly store staff treat me with respect and dignity, giving me the proper amount of Thunderbird on each day that I regain consciousness.

No need for Algebra at all. In fact, it will yield only frustration and a greater need for alcohol, as well as making one long for the simpler, gentler days when the hard part of a day was figuring out a simple Coriolis problem.

Brian

If a man drinks 3 bottles of beer per day, how much scotch will he need to buy for the weekend?

See if you have the algebra skills to solve this equation, you will know exactly how much scotch to buy instead of just guessing!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »

Cross multiplication, the simplest of algebra.  I actually use that very frequently for computing things and it is quite useful.  I occasionally need and use geometry too (mostly when building something).  What I have never found a use for is calculus.  Well, except a few times with limits (as something approaches infinity) but that is barely calculus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-multiplication
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »

Well, I just had three bottles of beer and have a half bottle of Scotch in the cabinet.  So I don't need to buy any.  The answer is 0.  I also had Saki tonight as a sleeping aid.  Didn't need Algebra for that.

This brings up a good point.  I have issues with word problems, head games, picking out one cigarette brand out of a whole case, finding a specific brand of cereal in the cereal aisle of the grocery store..  I just don't deal with that sort of thing well.  My wife has always thought I was strange in a multitude of ways.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »
Well, I just had three bottles of beer and have a half bottle of Scotch in the cabinet.  So I don't need to buy any.  The answer is 0.  I also had Saki tonight as a sleeping aid.  Didn't need Algebra for that.

This brings up a good point.  I have issues with word problems, head games, picking out one cigarette brand out of a whole case, finding a specific brand of cereal in the cereal aisle of the grocery store..  I just don't deal with that sort of thing well.  My wife has always thought I was strange in a multitude of ways.

How's your wife's algebra skills?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Geometry and Trigonometry are probably the most often used types of mathematics for 'real world' needs. Algebra would be last IMO and with about one- gazillion apps and smart phones everywhere, doing any of these by hand is of no advantage whatsoever. In fact, I am a big fan of less mathematics theory taught in schools (all schools, through advanced degrees) and more on how to use the tools we have now.

Calculus. Actually, I think calculus is not only used but needed a lot more often than most people think. But usually it has been used to reduce a problem to a generic formula and most people just use the resultant formulas without ever realizing that they were products of calculus in the first place, and I think that is just the way it should be. But for an example: I do not know of any way to calculate the area of a circle without using calculus. Another example is the energy contained in a moving piece of mass, using the formula 1/2 MV^2 (one- half mass X velocity squared). That is actually the most basic of all integrals.

Brian

Cross multiplication, the simplest of algebra.  I actually use that very frequently for computing things and it is quite useful.  I occasionally need and use geometry too (mostly when building something).  What I have never found a use for is calculus.  Well, except a few times with limits (as something approaches infinity) but that is barely calculus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-multiplication
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2017, 04:42:07 AM »
I just posted in the 'what are you watching' thread about the movie Dunkirk. Which, of course, got me to thinking about Winnie (as I like to call him  ;D, Winston Churchill). A superb human in so very many ways, and one who happened to be at the right time to occupy the correct place (that he correctly and logically ascended to) to be able to put a really large oar in the water and steer world events for the better.

The reason I am posting here is that Winston Churchill is one of many examples, though often there do not seem to be enough, of those who counter the CMP's of the world. Now of course the ratio of 'Winnie's' to CMP is terribly small but that too is OK because the ratio of ability is also scaled accordingly; literally millions of CMP cannot offset the progress made by the likes of Mr. Churchill.

So for those 'up to thier eyeballs' with FaceTwit nonsense, which now rises all the way to.... well, I cannot even say the words.... but for those fearful and actually think we are, as this thread is titled, doomed, may I suggest taking a few moments out of what might be your own FaceTwit time and listen to a few wise, moving and world- shaping words by some able people. In honor of Dunkirk (the event) let's start with a few by a fat man with a mild speech impediment who contributed far more than his fair share.

This was a speech given to the House of Commons, right after he became Prime Minister and the Germans had launched their offensive in the west,  13 May, 1940. I found an audio version: "Blood, tears, toil and sweat"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlkN-dcDCk

This speech, again given to the House of Commons, 4 June 1940, right after a crushing defeat of European forces, including virtually all of Britain's land forces available to that area, by the Germans:
"We shall fight on the beaches" (I think my favorite)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTw3_PmKtc

And finally, a speech given also to the House of Commons on 18 June 1940 after the avoidance of what would have absolutely become a true disaster, about events at Dunkirk:
"This was their finest hour"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BVzYGeF0M

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
How's your wife's algebra skills?

I think my math book learning is somewhat ahead of her math skills, however she is way smarter than me in all sorts of ways.  I don't know how I would have made out in life without her.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »
Well, assuming he will be buying Scotch on both of his standard liquor store trips over one weekend (two days to a weekend, right?), and using a ratio of 4 Beers = 1 Scotch, I would use the following formula:

E = 2*(Sc + 4B) / D * Bu

Where:

B = beer
Sc = Scotch
St = 'Stumbles', or trips to the liquor store
E = 'Enough', which means too much
D = Day, or one haze filled period of too much brightness followed by just enough darkness
Bu = Buffer or multiplier to assure there will be no sobriety in the event of something extending 'D' above such as 1) an arrest, 2) Daylight savings time kicks in, making a D longer than usual, etc.

Let Bu = 2 because there is no need to take any chances of a 'sudden onset of sobriety'

So, in substitution, (Sc + 4B) * 2 becomes 8 Beers and 2 Scotches, divided by 2, which is 4 beers and 1 Scotch and then some more confusing, unnecessary math and we get:

Stumble to liquor store, empty pockets onto counter and say "Me need dis much drink now" and have friendly store staff treat me with respect and dignity, giving me the proper amount of Thunderbird on each day that I regain consciousness.

No need for Algebra at all. In fact, it will yield only frustration and a greater need for alcohol, as well as making one long for the simpler, gentler days when the hard part of a day was figuring out a simple Coriolis problem.

Brian

:rotflmao:  Ok, another great Brian acronym. For me, SOS no longer means Save Our Souls, instead it now means Sudden Onset Sobriety. Doctor! This man is suffering from SOS! 1 liter IV Kettle One STAT!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
Yeah but at least that is voluntary. The most recent one that gave me a jolt was this one:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/attorney-general-just-expanded-scary-231122065.html

Absolutely unbelievable IMO. Seizing assets not only without due process but BEFORE any defined accusation is even made! The Constitution is so short I would think anyone and everyone should have found the time to read the thing before growing hair everywhere, and have contemplated what it means to all individuals before that first big speeding ticket.

And while it would be easy enough to teach it in school, I have serious doubts that that could even happen anymore, at least anywhere near correctly.

Brian

More evidence.....and people are ok with this.... http://kstp.com/news/wisconsin-company-to-implant-microchips-in-employees-three-square-market/4549459/

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Thanks but just calling it like I see it. Anything amusing is just a beneficial byproduct....  ;)

Brian

:rotflmao:  Ok, another great Brian acronym. For me, SOS no longer means Save Our Souls, instead it now means Sudden Onset Sobriety. Doctor! This man is suffering from SOS! 1 liter IV Kettle One STAT!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Yeah but at least that is voluntary. The most recent one that gave me a jolt was this one:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/attorney-general-just-expanded-scary-231122065.html

Absolutely unbelievable IMO. Seizing assets not only without due process but BEFORE any defined accusation is even made! The Constitution is so short I would think anyone and everyone should have found the time to read the thing before growing hair everywhere, and have contemplated what it means to all individuals before that first big speeding ticket.

And while it would be easy enough to teach it in school, I have serious doubts that that could even happen anymore, at least anywhere near correctly.

Brian
I expect the totalitarian crap from an overreaching government but people actually making a conscious choice to be chipped like a dog is scary.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »
I expect the totalitarian crap from an overreaching government but people actually making a conscious choice to be chipped like a dog is scary.

Big business can be just as scary as government sometimes.  I have seen policies and requirements that are way beyond what I would call reasonable.  For example, I heard that the big medical conglomerate here that controls most ALL the hospitals and healthcare delivery put out some draconian edict that employees couldn't use nicotine, at all (in ANY FORM).... not at lunch on break, at home, ANYWHERE.  And they screen and TEST people!  I mean, it is one thing to say what people can do at the job, but something legal when not on the clock???  And exactly what is the purpose?  And what is next?  No drinking alcohol when not at work?  No caffeine?  No junk food?  No riding a motorcycle?  I was shocked.  And most local healthcare workers can't just elect to "work somewhere else" when one company controls 90% of those markets in a 2 million-person, 6-city area.

Back to the article.... "Optional" things like the chipping in the article, isn't necessarily "optional" if you are labeled a non "team-player" and such.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:46:31 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2017, 01:04:33 AM »
Now on this I agree 100%. Things such as this are simply outright violations of our most fundamental laws, rights and legal history, and the fact that anyone, let along what appears to be the entire society, represents to me that our 'system' has already failed.

I used to think some of the more extreme facets of American political / cultural elements were.... well, nut- bags. Truth be told, I still think that but can picture myself standing in the line of them now; how does it go- 'third from the left, recognized only by his mother, just another spear carrier'? Nut bags maybe but nut bags standing behind a line that says they will not yield to one or more outright unjust and more importantly, illegal actions.

We are rapidly trading our fundamental and most basic freedoms for safety or perceived safety and it is not and never, ever will be worthwhile. Not here anyway.

Brian