Author Topic: Low battery tire pressure sensor warning  (Read 20182 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Low battery tire pressure sensor warning
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
I did a quick search but didn't find anything specific on this. I rode in to work this AM. It was low 40's. I went out for lunch and it was maybe 48 degrees. On the way to lunch I got the tire pressure sensor low battery warning. It cleared up before I got back to work and has not been on since. Was this just a fluke deal? Maybe the cooler temps got to it sitting outside at work? I had to replace the rear one this past spring so wouldn't be surprised the front is now low.
I just had the bike in the shop a couple weeks ago for the brake recall. It would have been nice if it would have failed before I took it in!

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline BackInTheSaddle

Re: Low battery tire pressure sensor warning
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
There actually have been many posts about TPS failing and giving warnings.  Cold weather does affect the sensor/battery.  What year is the bike?  I ask because some owners have gotten warranty replacements (I think 08 & 09) and others have had fights with dealers/Kawasaki about coverage.  I have not had mine fixed and do get the warning temporarily when it's cold and then it goes away when the tires warm up.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline curly

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
Perfectly normal. Mine has done this since day one anytime the temp is below 50 degrees. mine is an '09. When mine finally go belly up not sure i'll pay to have them replaced or fight my dealer for warranty coverage.

Guess i'll go back to the old tried and true check them your darn self method.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:47:53 AM »
My 09 showed the rear TPS battery was low one time last year when I went out on a 35 degree ride. I have ridden in colder weather since and now through the summer haven't seen a low RTPS battery show again. I was in Butt MT in Sept this year and the TPS saved my behind once again. I had unknowingly picked up a piece of wire.

Since I bought the extended warrenty for $339, I hope there is no arguement when the TPS battery dies or I warp a rotor.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:42 AM »
Both of mine were complaining this past weekend with temps down to 32F.  I'm going in for some service work soon and will ask to get them looked at.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:05 AM »
I had one doing that and took a picture of it and showed it to the dealer. They replaced it under warranty.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 05:54:08 AM »
I've been getting a warning for my rear TPMS battery. Dealer is changing it on Wednesday. New PR2 then as well.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Damaged Goods

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »
I was getting the warning in 50 degree temps. Took it to the dealer, they broke the sensor removing the tire and I am now waiting on a new sensor. Broken or not still being replaced under warranty for the low battery (battery is attached by a wire so the sensor itself has to be replaced).

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
Rip them out of there, not needed and just another electronic gizmo to act up.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
Batteries are replaceable, it just requires a little soldering, finesse, and patience.  There's even a documented pictorial guide posted online for those that want to do it themselves.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »
The sensors on my 08 (purchased 7/07) gave the warning from the first winter on, whenever temps dropped into the 30's. It sat for the last 10 months, and the bike batt died, (of course), but a week ago when I spoke to the dealership and asked about the sensors/warranty, they went to bat for me, and got them in in a couple days, surprisingly the sensor batteries "recharged" somewhat, and didn't show error when I took it in, but they replaced them anyways....nice folks. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
Batteries are replaceable, it just requires a little soldering, finesse, and patience.  There's even a documented pictorial guide posted online for those that want to do it themselves.

Patience is not a virtue of mine, and not making sensors that are designed to have the batteries replaced easily is a total scam in my eyes.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
I agree with Poke.  This could have been engineered a bit better.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »

Patience is not a virtue of mine, and not making sensors that are designed to have the batteries replaced easily is a total scam in my eyes.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :deadhorse: :hitfan: :deadhorse: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
and thats why you bought an '08.....just like me.....cause we just had to have it......

hey, Kaw is giving the sensors away, get yours changed, and have some cheese....it goes well with that Whine......
 ;D ;)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :deadhorse: :hitfan: :deadhorse: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
and thats why you bought an '08.....just like me.....cause we just had to have it......

hey, Kaw is giving the sensors away, get yours changed, and have some cheese....it goes well with that Whine......
 ;D ;)

I like my beer better.  ;)   Cant drink right now, my usage of pain reliving narcs would put a whammy on me.  :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 08:44:40 PM »

I like my beer better.  ;)   Cant drink right now, my usage of pain reliving narcs would put a whammy on me.  :o

pu$$y
beer and Oxycontin works wonders..... ;)

just don't drink and take drugs that have acetamenophen in them.....that'll cause liver failure........ :P ??? ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
beer and Oxycontin works wonders..... ;)

That's what I told him...

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 06:14:27 AM »
Beer and Oxi does work really well together.  Sometimes a little too good.

We buried my brother a year and a half ago from mixing the two.  The coroner told me it amounted to two Percodan and four drinks.  Apparently mixing the two USUALLY works just fine, but sometimes your brain forgets to tell the lungs to work.

Good news, though, is some life insurance policies pay double for an accident.Your family will be able to get than new, 2013 c14...Double up on either, hell, quadruple either and you'll  be ok.  Mixing is dangerous, though.  I know you guys are joking, and I get that, but please, what the experts say really is true.  My brother was a big, strong, 38 year old tough guy.   He had  a masters degree and spent his spare time on the prison swat team.

Offline curly

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 06:44:55 AM »
Buzz killer.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:42 AM »
Oxy is bad stuff, I prefer Percocet.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"