Author Topic: Cracked frame at shock  (Read 26635 times)

Offline MtnRider

Re: Cracked frame at shock
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »
I can't use the undamaged gen 2 frame because it was registered in the state of New South Wales and anything written off there can never be re-registered in Australia. That is both a waste and really, really annoying.

Would it be possible to cut the number area out of the bad frame and weld it into the good frame?

Ride safe, Ted

Jeeze, Ted....   I was thinking the same thing last night.   :o  But I had a couple and wasn't sure I should post it. What where you having?     :rotflmao:

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:41 AM »
I can't use the undamaged gen 2 frame because it was registered in the state of New South Wales and anything written off there can never be re-registered in Australia. That is both a waste and really, really annoying.

Would it be possible to cut the number area out of the bad frame and weld it into the good frame?

Ride safe, Ted

Short answer: No. That would be "rebirthing" - highly illegal and the reason given by the authorities for making everything a statutory writeoff.

Long answer: The number is engraved/etched/stamped on the side of the headstock. Interfering with it would be obvious even to blind freddy and cutting and welding it into another frame would be a big job. You'd have to be a really good welder to replicate the factory welds too. If I sold it or it was involved in an accident and anybody looked closely ... see the short answer.

The old way was to buy a crashed vehicle cheaply and transfer the identity onto a stolen one. So the gumbyment introduced all sorts of checks - with fees of course - to show proof of where you got the parts to fix your crashed one. I rebuilt several myself under that system and thought it worked fine, at least until the vultures doing the inspections had a cash grab and it suddenly cost more in fees than actual repairs.
I don't know how the 'criminal gangs' were still rebirthing, but New South Wales went it alone and decided that you could no longer repair anything and put it back on the road. Because the VIN is on a national register it can never be used again in Australia.
I also have a perfect frame from a 2016 Honda CBR300R. It could have been repaired with second hand parts for a few hundred dollars. Bent levers and scratches and some cracked plastic. But because NSW it can only ever be spare parts. Except the frame - because that is the bit with the ID on it. I bought it for the engine, but having to throw the rest away is such a waste.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
That is a shame.  :censored:

I've never attempted to do as I suggested on a bike frame, but thought it might be possible.
(in our dirt bike days) I heard of others that did a similar plate movement on mufflers so they sed "Forestry Approved".  :o

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
As ya'll may or may not know/remember, there is a number for Kawasaki customer service (US).  Not sure if it's still active or not or changed.  Assuming it is, I would report the cracked frame to that number and get a case number if one is offered.

Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Here is a thought;
The cracked frames that have been discussed, may be isolated cases.
          We have a lot of C-14 owners on the Forums.
        Let's use the Forum's and see if this is a widespread problem.

I suggest that all you who read this discussion, "go inspect your frame".
             Report back here with what you find.
             ie; Tell us if it's Good/bad, miles, and the year of your bike.

I checked mine.
                    Looks fine. 14,000 miles, 2014..

Ride safe, Ted

Does anyone else have a cracked frame?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
POST REMOVED;
NO LONGER IN CONTACT WITH KAW.

sorry,
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:16:58 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Here is a thought;
The cracked frames that have been discussed, may be isolated cases.
          We have a lot of C-14 owners on the Forums.
        Let's use the Forum's and see if this is a widespread problem.

I suggest that all you who read this discussion, "go inspect your frame".
             Report back here with what you find.
             ie; Tell us if it's Good/bad, miles, and the year of your bike.

I checked mine.
                    Looks fine. 14,000 miles, 2014..

Ride safe, Ted

thanks for posting this over there Ted, I was not gonna spread the panic until I saw a bit of response here...
but it's cool...

http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/cracked-frame-at-shock/msg666102/#msg666102

we ALL are of the same community, and therefore need to be "semper fi" on what we find.

this is how to do it, and make a voice about the bike you paid so much money for... if we don't document, it's all lost.

good job Ted,  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :grouphug: :grouphug: :thumbs: :salute:

Offline Michelle

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2019, 06:48:46 PM »
My frame came home this morning. A little cleanup and some black paint, nobody will know it was broken.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
Good luck with the rebuild, Michelle.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2019, 08:06:54 PM »
My frame came home this morning. A little cleanup and some black paint, nobody will know it was broken.

Wow- that is one big-ass weld!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Michelle

« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Even though it wasn't cracked all the way around, he ground it out and re-did the whole thing. I are impressed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2019, 09:01:04 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
Looks good.
Before you put it back together, Maybe remove some paint? and give the other side a really good inspection.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »
Well, sorry to report that my direct contacts are no longer effective.
I did however, send some e-mails, to the sources, and only 1 of 3 bounced, so If I get a callback I will speak to the "new" reps if the door is still open...

Offline Freddy

« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
 :goodpost: :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Michelle

« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
Looks good.
Before you put it back together, Maybe remove some paint? and give the other side a really good inspection.

Ride safe, Ted

I would expect that if the other side were letting go the paint would crack first? I suspect that the left side goes first because the weld is diagonal and then the shock absorber hammers the one on the right side. Mine was still in one piece as the crack hadn't yet found its own tail. I have closely inspected the right side and it doesn't show any sign of stress. I will be keeping an eye on it into the future.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2019, 07:47:21 AM »
One should also report this via NHTSA website

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2022, 07:55:41 PM »
There's quite some interest on the other forum since a recent failure on a 2013 bike.

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/sheared-frame-damage-the-story.54375/#post-651990

I've taken the liberty of posting the pix (which have disappeared from her posts) of Michelle's bike frame before and after repair (Michelle is a riding companion of 1400GTR folks in Australia).  Read her earlier posts for more info.

After

A different bike from 4 years ago.

From the ZX recall notice.

Note that the torque setting for the rear engine mount (which causes the crack due to spreading force applied to the weld) was lowered with the reprint of the 2010 and later FSM.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:48:50 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2022, 06:21:43 AM »
That's on the center stand area I take it?  I think I remember that post..

Idiot (me) it was this post LOL.   Didn't read all of it.