Author Topic: C10 Cafe Project  (Read 4359 times)

Offline sport rider

C10 Cafe Project
« on: January 05, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
here's a seat prototype.  I think the seat area is a bit long and the overall length is as well.  if I cut down the front, that'll slide the whole thing in.  probably 2 inches.

I blacked out the bottom of the tank in the rear.  trying to achieve a good cafe-style line front to back.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with bright yellow for the tank, front fairing, and seat, with black padded seat insert.  There will be yellow inserts in the sides covering the battery area.

any constructive thoughts?   ;D

Offline works4me

Re: C10 Cafe Project
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
The first picture reminds me of of Munch Mammoth
circa late 60s.
That’s not a bad thing.
I’m sure a few of us lusted after them back then.
Google images for inspiration.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:29:05 PM »
I'm thinking it's going to be more like a Clydesdale rather than a thoroughbred.  Majestic in their own way.  :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:32 PM »
nekid Conni's rock....

I've got one...
ya can't paint yours in Chameleon flip-flop green, or use the name COGZilla tho...

rock on....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
I'm thinking of going yellow.  However, Kawasaki green might be good.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 12:29:23 PM »
I have an easier way.
Just buy a 900 Ninja.
I know the fun is in the creation.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline sport rider

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
I have an easier way.
Just buy a 900 Ninja.
I know the fun is in the creation.

I know....I know....

but honestly, none of us are ever going to learn that.  :))

Offline sport rider

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
I pulled coolant logs front and rear and replaced seals last week.  for the front log, I removed the oil and water coolers.  Also removed the headers.  I have a way-cool 4 into 1 version coming sometime.  (Thanks Ted!)

I pulled the clutch slave cylinder off.  frozen tighter than a camel's azz in a snowstorm.   decided it was far cheaper to get a used one for 12 bucks from fleabay than fuss with this one.

also took the petcock apart and I'm going to rebuild it.  ordered the kit for that.

Got a new key made for the ignition and have that back on too.

slooooooooooow progress.  :(

Offline sport rider

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 02:06:02 PM »
BTW....I think I'm going with Ford Competition Orange.

gpineau

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
Orange?  How about flat black or Burgundy? Keep going. I am anxious to see what's next.

I still have my eye on that 86 Connie rat rod on ebay. So far haven't been able to talk him down on price.  But I will wait another week and see if he softens a little. I  think if I go it running it would be a great project for a trike conversion as well as another EFI retrofit. I fgound a trike kit for $1800.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »
after toying around with ideas on the seat, I decided to throw the old seat back on.  I removed the vinyl first.  I cut along the lower part of the pan to expose the frame section just under the seat.  My thought is to have the seat covered in black with an orange rear section.  seems like that's a pretty decent looking line to catch your eye from the tank back to the rear of the seat.

gpineau

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »
I see you put the carbs back on. Without the airbox what is holding up the back of the carbs?  Are the boots strong enough to support the weight of the carbs and the filter pods?

I pulled my carbs out of the box an found one of the carbs was loosed for the bracket holding the all together and there was a fuel feeder pipe between carb 3 & 4 is missing. Nowhere to be found.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »
carbs seem to sit fine, but I don't have them tightened up yet.  I need to get some new throttle cables installed before final assembly.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
Thanks to Ted and Blaise Borjakowski, I got the 4-into-1 exhaust delivered.  put it on and buttoned up the radiator and oil cooler.  added some rattle-can orange to the tank just to get an idea.  Still quite a bit to do, but coming along.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
new throttle cables came in this week, so last night I got them installed.  nice to have the throttle snap back now.  :D

I got fluids added back in.  problems with the ring seals on the rear coolant log.  had to remove and install a few times to get it sealed up properly.  I realized that I had a split in the ring.  fortunately I had another on hand.  that was a bit of a pain in the butt cause I put the carbs on before filling, so had to remove them.  reinstalled after I was sure there were no leaks.

attached is a current pic.  not much looks different except that I have the front fender painted.  the tank is still a work in progress.  I have further sanding and buffing to complete that.  I still have to clean the inside and seal it before it goes into service.

this weekend I'm going to swap over the tank and battery from the 05 and work on getting the motor running.  wish me luck!  :o

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
Love the progress and the orange is actually a good color on the cafe style! Keep up the good work and look forward to the end result!

Offline sport rider

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Since the tank cleaning/sealing isn't done yet, I swapped the tank off the 05 along with the battery.  Put petcock on prime for a minute or two, then back to run.  turned on the switch, pulled the enricher, only cranked a short bit before the first burst came out of the pipe.  A bit more cranking and coughing and she settled into a high idle.  didn't have to run long before I took it off choke and adjusted the idle to a pretty smooth output.  I let it sit and run for a good 15 minutes or so as the antifreeze burned off the exhaust wrap.  while on the center stand, I ran it through all the gears.  everything engaged and shifted normal.  then backed her out of the garage and went for a very short run up the street.  she didn't seem to hesitate at all, but I didn't have her under much power though.  I got up to third and gave her a kick.  clutch started slipping.  easy enough to replace.

All in all, I'm happy as a pig in mud!  300 bucks, a bit of sweat equity and a few $ more.  she runs!  I've got about 700 bucks in it now.  I just bought some known good carbs rather than try to rebuild the old ones.  I've heard enough horror stories from Steve about tearing old carbs apart.  decided not to put him through that yet.  :)  I probably will eventually though.  I'll eventually turn to getting more performance out of the bike.  that'll mean several additions along with going back to the air box and proper carb tuning.

For now.....HAPPY!!!!!!!

gpineau

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »
Looking good. Great progress. I like the tank as is.

It will be  while before I  catch up with you. The carbs I got in a box have some missing pieces. 

I got a used airbox off ebay I am going to try to repair it and see if it is usable. 
Right not it has pod for filters.
 I may just go ahead and do EFI on this just to for fun and annoy people.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:50:45 AM by gpineau »

Offline sport rider

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
if at first you don't succeed......well......   :o

BTW...it's in the house to dry.  I used the por 15 cleaner and etching.  need to get it good and dry so I can put sealer in it.  it's still damp after sitting overnight.  I'm probably gonna steal the wife's hair dryer and see if I can burn it up.  :D

Offline sport rider

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 02:03:31 PM »
a little progress is better than no progress at all.  While I've been waiting for tank sealer to cure, I got and installed the headlight bracket.  I already hooked up the headlight...plug and play.  Now ready to wire up the front turn signals!