Author Topic: Want help from Utah/Colorado riders  (Read 2386 times)

Offline BackInTheSaddle

Want help from Utah/Colorado riders
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
The wife and I are taking a road trip the second half of May through Colorado and Utah with the main objective being to see National Parks - and of course ride incredible roads.  We'll be trailering the Connie and using it for day trips and the truck will be for bad weather and for the wife to get around when not riding with me.  The plan so far is to spend 3 days around the Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Park area, cross Colorado, spend another 3 days or so around the Moab area hitting a different park each day, then on to Kanab or St. George for another 3 days doing day trips to the western Utah parks.  The last few days will be heading back (route undetermined so far) to the Denver area to stay with my brother for a couple of days of riding with him before slabbing it home to Minnesota.

So, what are the must see sights?
What are the must ride roads?
Are the must do hotels or restaurants around those three "hubs"?
If you have GPS routes to share they would be appreciated.
Any other suggestions to make the trip memorable?

Replies on the forum can be very simply place names, road numbers/names, etc. If you have more detail it's probably best to PM me.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
Don
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
Re: Want help from Utah/Colorado riders
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Got to ride Hwy 12 and the first 15 miles of the Burr trail in Utah for sure. Hwy 93 or 95 ( no map right now ) from Blanding North to Hanksville then over to Torry is pretty cool and sets you up for Hwy12 quite well too.

Dave
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline Arata

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
The Black Canyon/Mesa Verde are not to be missed if you get to the SW corner of Colorado.

The San Juan Skyway/Million Dollar Highway connect the two.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »
What Arata said.

92 North rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison
550 Durango to Ridgeway aka million dollar highway
145 Telluride to Cortez
133 Paonia-Carbondale
149 South Fork-Gunnison

All fantastic roads. In fact for motorcycling, much better roads than RMNP. On the famous trail ridge road through the park expect to go 5 mph behind some RV.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Canyonchasers.net recently went 'commercial' apparently, but they still have a decent guide for some local roads to check out, mostly in the western states. 

http://www.canyonchasers.net/maps/

We have some fun roads in northern Utah, if you are looking for somewhat technical roads, but it sounds like you are more focused down south.  That being said, I still very much enjoyed Nebo Loop (near Provo), Monte is also gorgeous, and the Energy Loop is also a fun ride.  Those are more geared to locals looking for a half day/full day outing, but you may be able to incorporate one or more of them into your own ride.

UT-14 also has some spectacular views, but I haven't done that on the bike yet (just in a car).

Do keep in mind that a lot of the higher elevation/less used roads in Utah may still be closed in May, depending on how fast the spring melt happens, so check UDOT's site if you are planning on any of these.  Also, at least one road in southern Utah was taken out for the duration of the summer last year due to a rockslide, but I think that one has finally been fixed.  Again, when in doubt check UDOT's site.

As for views, if you like National parks you have lots of options in Southern Utah.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:55:12 PM »
The wife and I are taking a road trip the second half of May through Colorado
Note that some of the higher elevation roads may be closed at that time. We get snow, sometimes a LOT. Trailridge Road (RMNP) is usually open by Mothers Day, but it's not a given. Same for Independence Pass and the road to the top of Mt. Evans.

The plan so far is to spend 3 days around the Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Park area,
Look me up. I can spend a whole day getting down to Denver. RMNP is 20 minutes away, but I can take longer.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org