Author Topic: Harbor Freight Spot Driving Lights  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Harbor Freight Spot Driving Lights
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
I installed these on my canyon bars. Wicked bright, and seem to be made well. No problem with amperage on the accessory circuit (I don't wear heated gear, so no draw, other than my phone charger). The waterproof plugs that come with the lights made it easy to mount and button up. I've got them wired directly for the time being, waiting on a lighted switch to arrive.

Roadshock 1050 lumens 3" Spotlights:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1050-lumens-3-in-spot-light-64323.html

Here's the switch...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233009054021

Used these brackets with the thinner rubber collar and they worked perfectly. Very stable, and even seem to absorb some vibration.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791NB4FM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may still upgrade the headlights to LED, but these are so bright, I may not need to until a bulb fails.  Something worth noting - I could have gotten the extra lumens I was looking for with just an LED headlight upgrade, but my personal opinion is the more lights and the wider the light pattern on the bike, the easier it is for cars to see us. Seems motorists get confused by a single, really bright light. No spacing of the lights to judge distance, perhaps? Not sure. Some may differ, but my thinking is I'll be easier to see with this setup.
Anyway, I'm really pleased with the lights and mounts. I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Be safe!

I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Harbor Freight Spot Driving Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
my personal opinion is the more lights and the wider the light pattern on the bike, the easier it is for cars to see us.

Agreed, to a point, and as long as they are not blinding/dazzling.

Seems motorists get confused by a single, really bright light. No spacing of the lights to judge distance, perhaps? Not sure.

That is my theory too, as well as wider angular visibility.  Again, as long as it is not blinding- which is far too common now.  Blinding/dazzling/whatever oncoming traffic (night OR day) doesn't help with visibility as much because it makes it not possible at all for them to judge distance because you can't be looked at directly.  Assuming this would make them more cautious probably isn't true.  So I would need to know the beam pattern of those lights.  If they are not VERY well controlled (and most cheap lights are NOT well controlled- they throw out a wide and scattered pattern) and almost completely BELOW close and distant car mirror lines, I would use a fancy automatic switch setup to have them 10% or 15% brightness on low beam and 100% on high beam.  There are some options for that out there which are pretty cool.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:12:29 AM »

Blinding/dazzling/whatever oncoming traffic (night OR day) doesn't help with visibility as much because it makes it not possible at all for them to judge distance because you can't be looked at directly.  Assuming this would make them more cautious probably isn't true.

I agree completely. I've been on the receiving end of obnoxious lights, and you're right - if you have to shield your eyes or be blinded, that doesn't do much for discernment of the surroundings.  There was an Audi A4 pulling in to a gas station I was at a few nights ago, and he had a light bar on the front (bottom of the grill, kinda weird...). It was so bright and scattered that I had a serious case of "flash-eye" for about 30 seconds. Could barely see the road. That's the reason why I chose the spots instead of the floods - hoping to keep them low enough to not be one of "those guys".  Haven't ridden with them yet though- been nothing but rain here in the Carolinas. Even some sleet  :o

I'll report back when I finally get out. May even have my wife ride towards me to give me some feedback. She drives a Volvo convertible that sits really low to the ground. If they're obnoxious, she'd be the one to know!  ;)

BTW - I'd like to know more about the rheostat-type switches. A dimmer function would be awesome. For now, all I'll have is a simple on-off.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
If you value hop for lights, you may end up with the big $$ a the dimmer system..
they cost as much as the lights you bought...

but these folks have them, and they are pretty reliable stuff, for generically good prices...(you can find low price stuff on e-bay, but if there is an issue...you pretty much loose)

http://stores.advmonster.com/led-controls/

they also have great LED kits, add on lights, and headlight replacements...
Pretty much everyone on ADV Adventure Riders uses this company, and backs them.. and I've never read any bad press on them from those guys... which i good.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the info! Looks like they carry a good selection of product.

I actually found this on Amazon - arriving this Saturday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4UBMY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's small enough to either mount next to the grip warmer control, or in the vacant spot on the left of the dash bezel.  Using this, I can dial down the brightness if they're too strong. And I'll have the on/off switch next to my left thumb, so it should work out ok.