Author Topic: Concours 14 ABS/Linked brakes lawsuit pending  (Read 34386 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Concours 14 ABS/Linked brakes lawsuit pending
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
I wonder if this is ABS related as opposed to linked brakes.

Perhaps.  The "linked" focus part of the thread started with reply 6.  Otherwise it was presented as an "ABS/Linked" issue.   It is still one I have never seen before.   "Feral Cat" (thread author) registered at 12:36am, posted an hour later, and hasn't posted since (although last active at 11:47).  Need more information.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
sometimes if  it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck it is a duck.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »
GTR owner since 2014

First time post on here 2018

Offering to supply referral to legal aid?

Thinly disguised spam?

It may very well be a duck that we are discussing here, but that bike may have been a 2014 model purchased brand new in 2017. Time for the deerstalker to be cleaned up a bit?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 06:30:03 AM »
sometimes if  it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck it is a duck.

Ducks have ABS?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
Ducks have ABS?

Only if you are planning to post about a pending lawsuit against a duck, it seems...
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 09:03:10 AM »
Might I remind all members that this thread concerns lawsuits against Kwackers concerning brakes, ABS, and linking.  It is not about ducks of any sort.  I also must say that no ducks have been harmed in any shape or fashion (whilst anyone was looking of course) in this thread.  ::)   Should you wish to discuss ducks, please open a thread in either Open or The Range.   If opening in The Range, ducks are undoubtedly fair game and not subject to any protection whatsover.   Carry on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »
I saw a duck yesterday.

Just trying to stay relevant.
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
I had ducks until last week when a couple of Minks got a hold of them.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
I believe the AFLAC duck sports a mean six-pack thanks to yoga.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 05:44:26 PM »
I'll get right to the point...

I bought a brand new 2014 Concours14 from a dealer in Monterrey County, CA. I guess I'm unusual in that the bike was bought as a work vehicle for daily use.
Within 5000 miles the bike started having ABS/linked brake issues like what many have noticed. Rear brake pedal drops, front brake grab and general unpredictable braking.

Kawasaki dealer in Fremont, CA confirmed the issue in writing. Original Kawasaki dealer in Monterrey county also confirmed the problem. Kawasaki stated this was a "know issue with ALL Concours 14 BEFORE 2016" Kawasaki also stated this is a "characteristic of all Concours 14s".

After 2 months of arguing and the CA Kawasaki rep personally riding my bike, Kawasaki agreed & paid the Fremont dealer to try to update my bike to a 2016 ABS system. They where unable to get the wiring to match so the complete ABS system was replaced with a 2014 system. The bike was fine for another 15,000 miles and then the problem came back with a vengeance.

Then around 20,000 miles I started noticing instability issues during hard braking.... Finally one afternoon while exiting Hwy880 in Fremont the right front caliper locked up while the left did not engage causing a massive steering vibration that caused the back of the bike to also start oscillating. Due to 20+ years of semi professional riding I was able to keep the bike upright and stop. Barely...

Bike went to a 3rd Kawasaki dealer in Hayward, CA and was confirmed to have a stuck right caliper...

Kawasaki has admitted that ALL Concours 14s before 2016 have ABS/Linked brake issues. Interestingly all the local police departments have also stopped using the Concours 14....

As of December 2017 we have filed suit against Kawasaki in Monterrey County court under California's lemon law based on the fact that the bike is unsafe. I've ridden bikes for 20+ years of all makes and this bike's brakes do not function correctly. 

Anyone else having similar issues can contact me and I will pass along my attorneys contact info.

Cheers

If it smells like BullShirt you just stepped in, it probably was BullShirt....
First post, from someone unknown, that joined forum yesterday... that has no clue how going online and making blasting statements, and outrageous diatribe about his "pending lawsuit" (which any attorney would say... "I'm droppin' your case like a hot steamer"...) for doing so, WILL effect anu outcome of a lawsuit... simply exacerbates the BullShirt...

Lets just say this, First off, NO Kaw rep will say "it's and inherent problem".. period, it just doesn't happen... so that's Bull'Sht
any Kaw factory person would already KNOW you can't swap partial components systems from newer models to older models... so the "amazing discovery of the wires not accommodating" would never even been a "discovery", because they would never OK that...multiple major components, brake ECU, Hydraulic pump/valve system,lines,  wheel rotors and sensors, and programming are involved... so Bull'Sht point #2

Knowing this system inside out, as Ex-Tech Editor, that has been on the pulse of this bike since prior to it's release, and knowing the differences in all 3 versions of the braking systems, I'm just going to say "best of luck" come back and tell us "how this all worked out for you".... because it wreaks of Bull'Sht.

Or maybe I'd have to say Duck'Sht...

by the way,
since introduction in 2007, and using this, and the actual COG forum as a barometer, I can safely say I've seen less than 10 actual instances of ABS/Linked brake (combined) failure, and NONE have had this set of issues, or outcomes.

I can't speak for Kawasaki in a corporate format, but I can say that IF you had all these issues, and IF all this documentation you say went back and forth thru Corporate channels... You would have been handed a new motorcycle, in trade for your "LEMON", just to make sure to cover the fact....

again, Best of luck

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 06:05:40 AM »
The only issue with the PD usage that we've heard about is electrical.   We've seen a few ABS issues but more related to build up / dirt whatever in the units themselves.   Early linking braked bikes from Kwackers was more of an implementation issue on how they worked than a 'defect'.   I'm with Rich on this.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »
The only issue with the PD usage that we've heard about is electrical.   We've seen a few ABS issues but more related to build up / dirt whatever in the units themselves.   Early linking braked bikes from Kwackers was more of an implementation issue on how they worked than a 'defect'.   I'm with Rich on this.
I’ll confirm the electrical issues with the bikes our department used.  The electrical problems were not of the manufacturer, but from the person who had won the bid and did a pisspoor job of wiring the extra police equipment on the bikes.  I have never heard a problems with the brakes, unlike the Harleys....
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
Correct!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:54 PM »
....the differences in all 3 versions of the braking systems...

There might be 4 if you are a picky (persnickety?) person about it. The 2010 non-abs has a different front hose configuration/routing than any other. (see part 43095-0501)

Offline smokin

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 03:05:21 AM »
Interesting,never heard of any one in Australia or the UK having these concerns. My 2014 GTR 1400 linked brake/ABS set up works fine.
If this gentleman has filed a law suit against Kawasaki wouldn't you guys in the states be able to get copy of it,wouldn't there be a public notice printed somewhere?
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
No problems with my brakes , since 2011.

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »
3 pages in and the OP hasn't come back to defend his corner, hmmmm

Anyone know if he's popped up anywhere else?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:26 AM »
Could be just a drive-by, dropping a lit firecracker into this hen house?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 05:25:00 AM »
I just sent the op a pm asking how the lawsuit is going. Maybe he'll enlighten us.