Author Topic: Words where the pronunciation has changed over the years...  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Stasch

Re: Words where the pronunciation has changed over the years...
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
Realator rather than realtor

'so yeah' as a filler (much the same as 'like')
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
'so yeah' as a filler (much the same as 'like')

"ya know what I mean"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2020, 04:35:36 AM »
People are weird.
One friend calls the short hairy axe-wielding Middle-Earth characters "Dorfs" when everyone else calls them Dwarfs or Dwarves (we used to play a lot of D&D).
Another just cannot say Nuclear (Nu-Clear) and instead always says NewKular.
Me, I struggle to say "Yes, you're right and I am wrong,...."  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »
I have three new gripes:

People who pronounce "and" with a "t" as "ant".  One of the women at my workplace does this and it drives me NUTS.

The second item is that people are now beginning to add an "s" to pluralize things that don't need it, as in "aircrafts", and (just yesterday in a news article) "spacecrafts".  It never saw this until a few months ago, now it is becoming more common.  Once a bad habit starts it is hard to get it stopped, which brings up gripe number three:

90 % of the time when someone says "impact" they really mean "affect". A few days ago I listened to a new broadcaster say "impact" about a dozen times in two minutes. Ten years ago, this wasn't an issue, but it has become a bad habit promoted by illiterate TV and radio people.  I realize they are usually just reading the teleprompter, so maybe they need a new teleprompter writer.

Whine....whine....**** moan.....................
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2020, 09:00:29 PM »
Ten years ago, this wasn't an issue, but it has become a bad habit promoted by illiterate TV and radio people.  I realize they are usually just reading the teleprompter, so maybe they need a new teleprompter writer.

Whine....whine....**** moan.....................

Well, don't worry, Webster's will just "revise" the dictionary and textbooks will revise too, to accommodate any and all new atrocities to the language.  And teachers won't want to "offend" any students, so they won't ever be corrected, either.  Then all that stuff will be proper and acceptable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stasch

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 05:59:31 AM »
Here's a couple more that you'll hear from talking heads and politicians ad nauseam:
  • "Look . . . " <insert a comment here>"
  • "At the end of the day . . . . . "

Sports 'sayings':
  • "take it to the next level"
  • "Lets give 110%"

High School GPA's:

Anything over 4.0 diminishes the 'impact' (see what i did there  ;)) of what this should mean.

This score is supposed to be an average with 4.0 as a perfect average score, not some cumulative score that can increase above that.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 06:06:26 AM »
I hear this one on the Oak Island reality show...from the narrator.

"Could it be...?"   I'm starting to cringe every time I hear that now....  The show's getting old and the only ones getting the treasure are the contractors doing the actual work.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.