Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 156260 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Aint that the truth!

No, CANbus is not involved with the low fuel warning system. But the LFW is much more elaborate than something as simple as a switch or float or anything else. I do not know where in the bike the circuitry is buiried that handles the LFW but I would suspect either in the circuits potted in with the ECU or else in the LCD display. Either way, I have not found it 'cause I have not <yet> let the smoke out of it. I have let the smoke out of a bunch of fuel pumps though.  :'(

Nothing really wrong with the bike as it comes stock, I just found I did not care for the 'fuss' when the low fuel warning comes on, and I especially did not care for the loss of the range function. To be absolutely honest, I probably would not have bothered to tinker around with this thing at all if they had not given me any range indicator but the fact that they put it in the bike and disabled it at the very time when I want to see it annoyed me.

Brian

Offline longrun

• I used to hurry a lot, I used to worry a lot
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
I do not know if it will work on a ZX or not. I would have to see a schematic and see a ZX 'in the flesh' so to speak before I could address the question. My gut instinct is that it will work but I am not willing to send one out for testing or use without knowing that it will work correctly.

Anybody got a ZX 14 around southern New England who wants the pain and the glory of being the first kid on his / her block to test- wear a Low fuel warning eliminator.... maybe? You will get the glory right here on the pages of this forum, and I will provide the pain. :-)

Funny thing is that I had a ZX here for a little work- I pulled those pesky 'flies out of the throttle bodies of the thing but of course did not bother looking into any of the bike's circuitry. Who knew this would be coming?

Brian

After nearly a year, is there any news on the ZX-14/14R front for this?  I'm sure they would love to have this as much as C14 owners.

BTW - I just ordered one for my C14 (finally).  :finger_fing11:
Paul
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Jojje

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
Seems like an awesome product. But when will someone develop a button controlled mirror folding system? ;)

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2014, 04:40:19 AM »
2014 Black.
Kawasaki has been paying attention to this thread, the range indicator functions with the LFW on my bike.  Had it down to 3kms on a recent trip, but only took 18l(4.75gal) to fill so I think they error on the side of caution.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
Yep, I've had that happen. But we have to wonder about it erring on the other side too and that would not be as good. I don't think I have heard of anyone getting down that low though (less that 2 miles).

Brian

2014 Black.
Kawasaki has been paying attention to this thread, the range indicator functions with the LFW on my bike.  Had it down to 3kms on a recent trip, but only took 18l(4.75gal) to fill so I think they error on the side of caution.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
2014 Black.

So it no longer takes over the entire screen and flashing?

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
I had 29kms  showing when we stopped for lunch, then when I restarted the bike it did take over the entire screen and was flashing. It did stay flashing with the 3kms showing even though I traveled 2km to the gas station.       

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2014, 12:04:40 PM »
You have one of my L.F.W.E. on your bike and you got the low fuel warning? ?? I do not believe that is possible. ??

Brian

I had 29kms  showing when we stopped for lunch, then when I restarted the bike it did take over the entire screen and was flashing. It did stay flashing with the 3kms showing even though I traveled 2km to the gas station.     
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
You have one of my L.F.W.E. on your bike and you got the low fuel warning? ?? I do not believe that is possible. ??

Brian
No I don't have your eliminator on my bike. It's a 2014 and they have adjust the LFW to include the milage still. Or do all of them still include the milage? Is it's the flashing that is causing the irritation. Mine wasn't flashing with 29km showing, not until I restarted the bike after I had lunch when it showed 3km did it start to flash.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
OK, I got it- there has been no change to the low fuel warning indicator, and when it goes off the bike has 1.1 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank. So yours went off exactly at the right time but it would seem that there is something wrong with your range indicator, assuming that is what you are talking about when you mention the 3kms reading.

Brian

First quote:
2014 Black.

Second quote:
No I don't have your eliminator on my bike. It's a 2014 and they have adjust the LFW to include the milage still. Or do all of them still include the milage? Is it's the flashing that is causing the irritation. Mine wasn't flashing with 29km showing, not until I restarted the bike after I had lunch when it showed 3km did it start to flash.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2014, 03:37:03 AM »
Hi guys,
I sent Brian (B.D.F.) an e-mail 48 hours ago asking for the cable, and still no reply. So today I wanted to send him a PM (bellow) and when I hit send I get the message from the system:

User 'B.D.F.' has blocked your personal message.

Did I **** him off or is this normal?  :-[

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Brian,
sorry to bother you again only 1 day after my first message (e-mail, actually), but I have quite a few things going on and would like to tick them ;D
Are you still producing the cable for the low fuel warning? could I have one? a friend of mine is in Texas for a few weeks and he's willing to bring it across the pond for me.
Please let me know.
Cheers,
Martín
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2014, 05:12:52 AM »
I got the same thing on his PM.  No biggie.  Go to his website and place an order.  I received this "fix" last week from Brian, along with the K-pass harness.  Fast service.  Works great. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2014, 06:52:37 AM »

He explained in another thread that it is not personal, he just has PM turned off for everyone because he prefers to use Email instead.  It would be nice if the forum allowed a customized message to be returned rather than something that sounds so cold and spiteful or at least said something like "User BDF has all PM turned off". 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.msg227454#msg227454
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »
Hi Martin,

Nope, as Max said, it is not personal or anything at all to do with you but I shut off all PM's from the forums. My e-mail is there though and it is absolutely no problem to e-mail me at any time. My e-mail is shown as an icon just under my photo in the top / left corner of the screen. If someone wants it spelled out, it is bdfelice1 <at> gmail <dot> com  Of course replace the words <at> and <dot> with @ and .   .

I did receive your e-mail of 12 December about possibly shipping a cable to TX no later than 2 Jan. 2015. I responded that I would be happy to do so and that it would be no problem and I could easily have a harness to anywhere in the US in three days, long before the date, 2 Jan., that you mentioned.

I simply replied to the e-mail you sent me and had assumed that that was the correct e-mail address. ?? It appeared to be the same e-mail you asked me to respond to in your first query; is that not correct? Please do let me know how to contact you and I would be more than happy to accommodate your requirements to the best of my ability.

Brian

Hi guys,
I sent Brian (B.D.F.) an e-mail 48 hours ago asking for the cable, and still no reply. So today I wanted to send him a PM (bellow) and when I hit send I get the message from the system:

Hi Brian,
sorry to bother you again only 1 day after my first message (e-mail, actually), but I have quite a few things going on and would like to tick them ;D
Are you still producing the cable for the low fuel warning? could I have one? a friend of mine is in Texas for a few weeks and he's willing to bring it across the pond for me.
Please let me know.
Cheers,
Martín

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:53 AM »
hello Brian,

thanks for getting back to me. Yeap, found your e-mail in my spam folder. My hotmail account has been acting up lately, treating wanted e-mails as spam, even from friends with whom I write regularly  >:(

Anyway, I replied now to your e-mail.

Cheers,
Martín
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Yep, got it and all should be fine pending the other party.

As far as putting my e-mails in the spam folder, not so sure that was a mistake..... maybe hotmail assigns users a 'garbage' rating and over time, Kirby has lowered mine to the point it thinks I am spam?    ;) :rotflmao:

Brian

hello Brian,

thanks for getting back to me. Yeap, found your e-mail in my spam folder. My hotmail account has been acting up lately, treating wanted e-mails as spam, even from friends with whom I write regularly  >:(

Anyway, I replied now to your e-mail.

Cheers,
Martín

elp_jc

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2014, 11:59:13 PM »
Hey folks, so what's the deal with the LFW on newer bikes? Does it show range or not? How about 2013s? And do you really have to be stopped to  operate it, or is that just the safe thing to do? And finally, which 2 buttons do you have to press? Thx.

Brain, what is your 'KIPASS harness'? You have absolutely no explanation on your website. Inquiring minds want to know ;D.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2014, 05:13:11 AM »
Hey folks, so what's the deal with the LFW on newer bikes? Does it show range or not? How about 2013s? And do you really have to be stopped to  operate it, or is that just the safe thing to do? And finally, which 2 buttons do you have to press? Thx.

Brain, what is your 'KIPASS harness'? You have absolutely no explanation on your website. Inquiring minds want to know ;D.

My 2014 shows the warning as well as the range, right down to 3kms is what mine showed at fill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2014, 05:49:42 AM »

My 2014 shows the warning as well as the range, right down to 3kms is what mine showed at fill.

??  You are saying the 2014 is different from all the earlier years??  Normally once the low fuel warning is activated, the range is no longer indicated.   I have never seen anyone mention otherwise.

elp_jc:  Search is your friend...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »
The KiPass activation switch bypass is a circuit that will allow a rider to circumvent a stuck activation switch and start a C-14. Otherwise, the bikes have been known to strand people now and again when that switch sticks. There is a lot info. on this site if you do a search.

There is a button sequence that will clear any warning on the C-14 LCD but it will not restore the range function.

By the way, Kirby is taking a well deserved vacation and so will not be selling any products at all for the next several days. But we'll be back before too long....

Brian