Author Topic: Touring Florida  (Read 5712 times)

Offline olie

Touring Florida
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
The attached picture is a basic skeleton of my Florida touring schedule to leave Austin TX on Feb 15th. The major goal is Key West besides Everglades, Naples, Cocoa, St Augustine and Charleston. On way back, hitting the panhandle coastline like St George island, Panama city, etc . BTW, how are the roads around the panhandle for the C14?

Most likely I will need TIRES just prior to my return to Austin, slabbing at high speed on I10. Any recommendation for tire shops? Obviously price matters. Angel GT and PR3's are my preferred choices.

If some roads are not in good shape, I have the option to ride my Super Tenere 12 although my desire is to rid the C14.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Update...
Touring Florida...updated  trip skeleton. 10 day forecast, I hope the weather cooperates. Departure Saturday 15th very early morning returning Monday 24th late night. Crossing Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and returning back home through the Florida panhandle and the same itinerary in reverse. (4 photos
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:14:36 PM by olie »
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: Touring Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
I thought you said you were touring FL.  Looks like you are spending most of your time on the interstates.  Can't experience Florida on the interstate. 

Since you don't want to take the Tenere I won't mention riding the remnants of Florida's oldest road.

On the panhandle check out

I recommend riding down US-19.  Check out all the nature areas.

In St. Augustine enjoy a meal at the Milltop Tavern.  From Daytona Beach, travel up A1A to St. Augustine.

Have fun!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline olie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »
Thanks for your input...the map is just a skeleton. I will avoid highways when reasonably possible.. So far, I have planned 10 days for the full trip.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »
twowheeladdict - I just sold my 01 voyager, looked just like yours.

ollie - coming down 19 is cool, but get off before you get to pasco county. 19 becomes a major thoroughfare from there south, and it's just not much fun. St augustine is my favorite place in all of Florida, you need to spend at least 1 day there, and be sure to hit the old town as your primary destination there. HTH, Steve

Offline olie

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
Thanks...I have been there in St Augustine twice for about 3 days. Now about 20 years later... just a review. Same for Daytona that I did not like then and I have no plans now.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »
For tires, DHR Cycleworks in Tavares. A fellow Florida Steve is in the process of getting re-tired with Angels on his C-14 at that shop. They have better prices than the internet stores, apparently. On the bike R+R and balance is $50 front and $80 rear. Off the bike is $25 a pop.

I've worked with these folks on a couple of things. Good techs that ask the right questions.

Also, maybe you could set something up at Shoodaben, he does have a tire changer. He is just north of Tampa. Just order up the tires on the net and ship them to him direct.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
twowheeladdict - I just sold my 01 voyager, looked just like yours.

ollie - coming down 19 is cool, but get off before you get to pasco county. 19 becomes a major thoroughfare from there south, and it's just not much fun. St augustine is my favorite place in all of Florida, you need to spend at least 1 day there, and be sure to hit the old town as your primary destination there. HTH, Steve
Hey Steve.  I remember you from your time on the AVA forum.  Sold my XII a couple years ago.  I do miss it sometimes.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline tuonodaveg

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:48:38 AM »
Hi Olie, New member here.

I have a 2010 concours 14 and a few Aprilias (seen you over on the Aprilia forum also).
My local Barney's dealership sells tires at 10$ over cost. I got the full setup at the house, lifts, tire machine, balancer, etc... Would be happy to "hook you up". I have a set of pilot road 3's and a set of pilot road 4's sitting here waiting for me to finish my old ones off. I always have at least 1 set sitting here and supplies for oil/filter/gear oil changes. I'm in Brooksville.       

Send me a P.M. and i'll give you my info.                            Dave

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

I have a 2010 concours 14 and a few Aprilias (seen you over on the Aprilia forum also).
My local Barney's dealership sells tires at 10$ over cost. I got the full setup at the house, lifts, tire machine, balancer, etc... Would be happy to "hook you up". I have a set of pilot road 3's and a set of pilot road 4's sitting here waiting for me to finish my old ones off. I always have at least 1 set sitting here and supplies for oil/filter/gear oil changes. I'm in Brooksville.       

That's a smokin deal. Excellent first post.  :thumbs:

Welcome to the asylunm.  ;D

Offline olie

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »

Thank you Dave... Aprilia guy's rule. I miss my Aprilias especially the Tuono but my knees and wrist said that age is a bitch. I was waiting for the new Capo 1200 but you know the delays and I bought a Super Tenere.

I will PM you with more details and dates.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline olie

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
updated the original post... bike is ready to go.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline olie

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
Oooops... I need instructions how to post this stuff.... MS changed the software!!!
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »
your 2nd map down is spot on  ;D  US41 instead of I75 alligator alley. very scenic and tons more gators to see.  also, don't forget to stop for a pic at the smallest post office in the USA. there's  a post office sign, and its the only one.  otherwise you'd drive right past it

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine