Author Topic: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving  (Read 9983 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
TDS coma?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »
TDS coma?

I assume it means "Trump Derangement Syndrome"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »
Well, let's keep that sort of thing to a minimum shall we?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
This was going to be an exciting year for my wife and I, musically.

We have tickets to the New Orleans Jazz Fest, two weekends worth. Postponed till 'sometime' in the fall.

My son bought us tickets to see the Rolling Stones in Nashville. Postponed indefinitely.

Oh well.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
If we're not all dead in several weeks, things should be starting to look up.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
This was going to be an exciting year for my wife and I, musically.

We have tickets to the New Orleans Jazz Fest, two weekends worth. Postponed till 'sometime' in the fall.

My son bought us tickets to see the Rolling Stones in Nashville. Postponed indefinitely.

Oh well.
We were supposed to see Jeff Dunham on the 20th.  Not a lot of ANYTHING open in Nashville.  Even the bars on lower Broad have given in and agreed to close.   Over 250 events (concerts, meetings, conventions) postponed or cancelled in the near future.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »
We will not all be dead in a 'few' weeks. But the virus will not have burned itself out either, depending by what you mean by 'few'.

Somehow, this whole thing got tagged with a two- week timespan; I think it was because schools were closed for one week, and the next week would be spring break. Hence, 'two weeks' of school closings and many seem to be using that as a timetable. But it does not and never did apply. This virus has a pretty long incubation period as well as also having a fairly long 'host active' phase. Those two things will combine to make this a fairly long- lasting virus in society. The really great part is that it has a fairly low mortality rate, at least in most groups of people.

I am not trying to spread gloom and doom. I am merely stating what I believe to be the situation. I am not in the medical field but can read an infection / morbidity curve and this one seems like it is going to be somewhat longer lasting than other, recent epidemics, and especially, pandemics. My sincere advice would be for people to calm down and settle in for what <might> be a bit of a longer ride than you may have initially expected.

On the bright side, there are some humorous parts to this situation; last night in a store with my wife, I coughed (fake coughed) and noticed many around me snap to attention. My wife joined in to them asses..... er, I mean the masses, and showed me the 'proper' way to cough, which she demonstrated by coughing into her arm, inside the elbow. I responded by grabbing her arm and coughing into the inside of her elbow. Apparently, that was not correct either..... I give up.  ;D

BTW: I am in two high- risk groups myself and so the gallows humor applies to me directly. Fair enough but I can still find the humor in the situation.

To my ZGGTR friends, I honestly wish you the very best success in the coming period of high stress. Not only for your survival of course but also that the situation is not too difficult on each / any of you regarding difficulties in getting through the coming weeks, or even months. Here is to wishing all of you and yours the very best possible experience going forward!

Brian (I think I am asymptomatic but the thermometer is behind me and I cannot read it.....)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
We will not all be dead in a 'few' weeks. But the virus will not have burned itself out either, depending by what you mean by 'few'. [...] to make this a fairly long- lasting virus in society.

I expect it will never go away.  It is likely to be similar to our existing flus and colds, just mutating and all over, all the time.  We just have to hope warm weather helps to control it, so it will be "seasonal" like flus and colds.  And that, eventually, we will have hit-or-miss annual vaccinations (like with the flu).  I expect also that we will like hold on to some "partial" immunity between mutations (again, like the flu).  I am actually surprised we haven't been hit with something like this sooner.

Viruses are really annoying (like mosquitoes).  Ironically, without them, we (humans) would not exist, since they were an important part of evolution (through evolutionary pressure, natural selection, and organism mutation).  We even have segments of virus DNA integrated into our human genome.  Still, I think we have reached a point that I wouldn't shed a tear if they all just disappeared.  Science might actually come up with a "total virus solution" at some point.  But I wouldn't hold my breath for that being in our lifetimes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »
 I coughed (fake coughed) and noticed many around me snap to attention. My wife joined in to them asses..... er, I mean the masses, and showed me the 'proper' way to cough, which she demonstrated by coughing into her arm, inside the elbow. I responded by grabbing her arm and coughing into the inside of her elbow. Apparently, that was not correct either..... I give up.  ;D

That's why the run on canoe tickets. One person coughs, 50 people crap their pants.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 03:02:38 AM »
Corona viruses have been around forever. Look them up. There are books on them dating from 1996 and articles from even earlier. This one (Covid-19) is just one the latest variants and is a particularly nasty one due partly to it's long incubation period, and partly due to it's effect on human lungs. Chances are almost everyone on the planet has had a Corona virus disease at some point but in the media we only hear about the big ones like MERS (EMC/2012), SARS-CoV (2003), and now Covid-19. The Common Cold can be caused by certain Corona viruses, as well as by Rhino viruses and others.
Personally I think we should rename this one Covidiot-19 as it seems to have shown everyone just how idiotic many of our fellow humans are.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »

So, what you're saying is that if things don't get worse they'll get better?   :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 08:26:29 AM »
Yep...logic at it's best.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
Corona viruses have been around forever. Look them up. There are books on them dating from 1996 and articles from even earlier. This one (Covid-19) is just one the latest variants and is a particularly nasty one due partly to it's long incubation period, and partly due to it's effect on human lungs. Chances are almost everyone on the planet has had a Corona virus disease at some point but in the media we only hear about the big ones like MERS (EMC/2012), SARS-CoV (2003), and now Covid-19. The Common Cold can be caused by certain Corona viruses, as well as by Rhino viruses and others.
Personally I think we should rename this one Covidiot-19 as it seems to have shown everyone just how idiotic many of our fellow humans are.

1960's actually.  We have plenty of idiots on our side in Florida playing while we all burn.  I think that they should put them in camps and not let them out of Florida for several weeks.  Possibly enlist the idiots to take care of the rest of us for free.  They don't realize that they can bring that sh*t back to us in the rest of the country.  Fn morons.   

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »

1960's actually.  We have plenty of idiots on our side in Florida playing while we all burn.  I think that they should put them in camps and not let them out of Florida for several weeks.  Possibly enlist the idiots to take care of the rest of us for free.  They don't realize that they can bring that sh*t back to us in the rest of the country.  Fn morons.

They know they just don't care. Selfish assholes.

Plus, and you know how much I hate to bring politics into this, there's so much conflicting information coming from our leaders that some people don't know what to think.

Hell, just this morning in Illinois, we have politicians questioning our governor's decision to close down schools and restaurants/bars. These same politicians are questioning what the expert doctors are telling us. When asked directly why they would question what the experts are saying. Their answers all start out with the same words, "I'm not a doctor but..."   :o

What do all these politicians that I mentioned above have in common? They are all from the same party. Do I have to tell you which party that is? I'm sure that I don't...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
As you hate to bring politics into this.....why do it?  Keep it in the Arena, please.  And prune out the politics stuff.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »
It does not matter if it 'goes away' or not- the virus will 'burn itself out' in any event. Eventually enough people will have been infected and recovered, combined with fewer and fewer infect-able souls, that it can no longer spread. This is what happens to all major infections that turn into epidemics or pandemics- they just burn out. Sometimes, the burn- out is truly devastating, such as the bubonic plague but it always works. The other method is when there are not enough infections to produce sufficient numbers of infect- able people, such as polio, which always returns to a sufficiently non- immune population to cause another outbreak (polio was notorious for returning each summer for decades).

The only other way to end the infection rate increase is to cut the virus off with inoculation, again such as in the case of polio- polio is alive and well, more than ready to infect any number of hosts but because <almost> all of the potential hosts have been inoculated, the virus does not cause an epidemic. That said, we are now again seeing what I would call 'mini epidemics' in places such as Oregon where a significant (and too large to provide heard immunity) portion of the population has refused to inoculate.

It is all a numbers situation, or better yet, a mathematical curve situation. Which is why those in gov't are always talking about 'flattening the curve'; we cannot eliminate the disease but we can blunt the speed and percentage of the population that it impacts. And they are correct- flattening the bell curve is really all that can be done, and it will work IF we, as a society, work to force the infection to go in that direction. And at the moment, it looks like we might just make it and blunt the worst of this current virus although of course it is causing great economic / social impact along the way. But if we choose to do nothing, the virus will still cause great economic and social impact but leave all of us in a far worse position afterward. This virus is going to cause a very significant impact on our economy, the only choice we really have is if we want to have it end with a relatively intact society or one that has been devastated by it. We have seen all of this before, the best example being the "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918: some US cities were so decimated with this virus that the very fabric of society itself fell apart.

Brian

I expect it will never go away.  It is likely to be similar to our existing flus and colds, just mutating and all over, all the time.  We just have to hope warm weather helps to control it, so it will be "seasonal" like flus and colds.  And that, eventually, we will have hit-or-miss annual vaccinations (like with the flu).  I expect also that we will like hold on to some "partial" immunity between mutations (again, like the flu).  I am actually surprised we haven't been hit with something like this sooner.

Viruses are really annoying (like mosquitoes).  Ironically, without them, we (humans) would not exist, since they were an important part of evolution (through evolutionary pressure, natural selection, and organism mutation).  We even have segments of virus DNA integrated into our human genome.  Still, I think we have reached a point that I wouldn't shed a tear if they all just disappeared.  Science might actually come up with a "total virus solution" at some point.  But I wouldn't hold my breath for that being in our lifetimes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 02:17:15 AM »
In lighter news, which is subjective, Prince Albert II Of Monaco Tests Positive For Coronavirus.

You can now rightfully assume that Prince Albert is in the can.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 05:00:21 AM »
In lighter news, which is subjective, Prince Albert II Of Monaco Tests Positive For Coronavirus.

Rick

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »
Rick
Jeez Rick, ya getting bored up there in them thar mountains?  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 12:11:45 PM »
In other news, moving toward the left in the I.Q. bell curve.....

Went to the liquor store today (with everyone else w/in a 30 mile radius apparently.....), and picked up a case of Corona Light for the Mrs. (she likes the occasional beer and will not drink anything but that brand and type). At the checkout, the cashier leans over and says to the beer 'Oh, someone is finally taking you home!'. ???? So I ask what that is about. ? She says no one will buy Corona beer because of the virus.  ?? I still do not get it? (sorry, logic gets in the way of my mental prowess sometimes) She says that people are saying Corona beer CAUSES the Corona virus. Ah, now I get it- people are really stupid!

FUBAR

Brian