Author Topic: C14 GEN2 Front rotors on a GEN1 C14??  (Read 5658 times)

Offline backwards1

• C14 2008
C14 GEN2 Front rotors on a GEN1 C14??
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
The dealership that is performing my warranty rotor replacement told me yesterday he is putting the new 2012 styled rotors on my 2008 C14. Any issues with these different rotors and my current brakes?

Also do I really need to put new brake pads on with new rotors like I did in the past when I upgraded to Galfer rotors and HH pads on a past bike?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C14 GEN2 Front rotors on a GEN1 C14??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
I don't think you'll have any issues but if it were my bike, I'd have the newest Kwak pads as well.  Hey, but I'm a wild and crazy guy! :banana
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
Great deal for you- the newest rotors really seem to have reduced the incidences of warped rotors.

It is always suggested that new pads go onto new rotors so they bed in as well as possible. I personally would use used pads if they were clean and had worn straight and flat, and of course there was enough pad left to even bother with. That said, dealers usually only do the new / new method and will not use old pads.....  and those few that do will usually void the warranty if they do that.

Brian

The dealership that is performing my warranty rotor replacement told me yesterday he is putting the new 2012 styled rotors on my 2008 C14. Any issues with these different rotors and my current brakes?

Also do I really need to put new brake pads on with new rotors like I did in the past when I upgraded to Galfer rotors and HH pads on a past bike?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline backwards1

• C14 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
I asked the dealer about it and he said that is usually only with aftermarket rotors and pad combos. I was thinking I should get new pads with the new rotors but he basically said it was roughly $200 for pads and labor on the front. I guess I could just replace them myself, much easier just to pay them though. Seems a bit high in price. He also offered to adjust the valves sense they were already in there for $350 more.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »
He also offered to adjust the valves sense they were already in there for $350 more

Am I confused or is the dealer? Did they move the front wheel to the top of the engine when I wasn't looking?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
2015 models only.  Get with the program!

I will say, though, that sounds like a valve check, not an adjust.  If they'll check and adjust for that, I'd jump on it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »
After charging 200 for the front pads and install I'd wonder about the thoroughness of their 'check'. "hey Bubba..that bike run?"

Offline backwards1

• C14 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
After charging 200 for the front pads and install I'd wonder about the thoroughness of their 'check'. "hey Bubba..that bike run?"

Well I got the bike back and noticed my glove box storage area had water in it. I asked "did you store my bike outside" he replied " yes during the day we did". So my naked C14 was stored in the rain, my key fob had water inside it and the electronics of the bike got rained on for who knows how long. I told him next time I won't bring them the bike with fairings removed. Figured that would give them less chance to screw something up(scratches, wrong screws in wrong areas) and more time to fix the issue properly with the time given under warranty. I mean they could of told me that before I brought it in when I asked about fairings being off, and if so I could have brought a bike cover.

I also asked if they could quickly do a once over cleaning where the oil drained out and they wouldn't said it was outside their scope of work under the warranty. Nice couldn't spend 1-5mins to wipe down the oil spilled. Well I agree it is not their job but sheesh I brought you the bike naked and ready to be worked on. I really dislike dealerships. Hard to find someone honest and that actual cares about others property.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
Well I got the bike back and noticed my glove box storage area had water in it. I asked "did you store my bike outside" he replied " yes during the day we did". So my naked C14 was stored in the rain, my key fob had water inside it and the electronics of the bike got rained on for who knows how long. I told him next time I won't bring them the bike with fairings removed. Figured that would give them less chance to screw something up(scratches, wrong screws in wrong areas) and more time to fix the issue properly with the time given under warranty. I mean they could of told me that before I brought it in when I asked about fairings being off, and if so I could have brought a bike cover.

I also asked if they could quickly do a once over cleaning where the oil drained out and they wouldn't said it was outside their scope of work under the warranty. Nice couldn't spend 1-5mins to wipe down the oil spilled. Well I agree it is not their job but sheesh I brought you the bike naked and ready to be worked on. I really dislike dealerships. Hard to find someone honest and that actual cares about others property.
I disagree. It was caused by the subject of the warranty work. The mechs and service manager are slobs and scabs. I would make the dealership owner and Kaw corp aware of how you were treated. Might not do any good but saying nothing will do less.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 04:45:49 AM »
$200 to do the front brakes? And this is while they're replacing the rotors under warranty?  :o

Did you have them do this? If so, I hope that they at least kissed you after such a good screwing.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »
$200 to do the front brakes? And this is while they're replacing the rotors under warranty?  :o

Did you have them do this? If so, I hope that they at least kissed you after such a good screwing.

+1
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 06:00:39 AM »
I had the newer rotors put on my 08 under warranty as well, not long afterward I took the Kawi crap off and installed Brembo's.  If they'll cover it at no charge I'd give it a shot, but I'd put my $200 towards Brembo before I paid for Kawi pads.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »
He also offered to adjust the valves sense they were already in there for $350 more

Am I confused or is the dealer? Did they move the front wheel to the top of the engine when I wasn't looking?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »
I would place a call to Kawasaki Customer Care and ask a few questions.  My rotors were replaced under warranty recently and new pads were authorized by Kawasaki.  I have an 09 and they used the newest rotor released.  Something does not sound right, it is worth the time to make a call.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
I would place a call to Kawasaki Customer Care and ask a few questions.  My rotors were replaced under warranty recently and new pads were authorized by Kawasaki.  I have an 09 and they used the newest rotor released.  Something does not sound right, it is worth the time to make a call.
It depends on the dealership. They are all doing their own thing it seems. You should get new pads if it is all warranty work.

I asked the dealer about it and he said that is usually only with aftermarket rotors and pad combos. I was thinking I should get new pads with the new rotors but he basically said it was roughly $200 for pads and labor on the front. I guess I could just replace them myself, much easier just to pay them though. Seems a bit high in price. He also offered to adjust the valves sense they were already in there for $350 more.

They want to get you to have something done that benefits them. Warranty work isn't an area the dealerships make much money.
Joel from Maine.