Author Topic: Yamaha Venture  (Read 5158 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Yamaha Venture
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:49:22 AM »
I had an accident with the Concours (hit a deer).  Looking for another bike, I picked up a Yamaha Venture touring bike.  For me it was a good fit size was (I am pretty large).  And I know it is a cruiser (sort of) but it has plenty of power and handles pretty damn good for an 800-900 pound bike. It had tons of add ons when I bought it and runs really well despite having 68K miles.  It is carburated but is also shaft drive and is rated at 100HP.  It is a V4 engine (same as the Vmax).  I am not downing Harleys at all, but this is bigger than the Electra Glides, more reliable, and has much more power.  For$3500 I think I did well.  Also came with a trailer to pull behind it.  And every receipt imaginable for accesories, parts, and maintenence.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Yamaha Venture
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:30 AM »
Glad you're alright. Sounds like a good score.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:23:21 AM »
Lucky you got the carburated version: the EFI latest models are a reference for underpowerment!  >:( ;D
Heavy and slow!  ;)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
I think I saw that bike when it was on eBay.  Good price for what it is and the accessories.  Where are you located?  As I recall, that bike wasn't far from me.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:26 AM »
Looks nice Zak!  Hope you're felling better.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
Very nice find, good for you!!! I had totally forgotten that those had a huge V4 in them, but "hardly" like the V max.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
Lucky you got the carburated version: the EFI latest models are a reference for underpowerment!  >:( ;D
Heavy and slow!  ;)

I didn't think they had an EFI model.  When I last went to the Yamaha dealer, they said the Ventures have been the exact same since 1999.

Looks nice Zak!  Hope you're felling better.

Yep doing well.  Wrist is still sore and cramps pretty bad at times, but so far so good.

I think I saw that bike when it was on eBay.  Good price for what it is and the accessories.  Where are you located?  As I recall, that bike wasn't far from me.

I found him through the Venture Riders forum.  I think he did have it on Ebay though.  I am in Northern VA and he was in Lexington SC.  Met him in Wilson NC to pick up teh bike and eat some good BBQ and fried chicken at Parkers.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »
Very nice find, good for you!!! I had totally forgotten that those had a huge V4 in them, but "hardly" like the V max.  ;)

Same motor, just slightly different insides and different rear (from what I have read).  I am looking at swapping to the Vmax rear now.  Still haven't read much on it yet, but supposedly an easy swap and fairly cheap.

Offline Leo

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »
A couple of years ago I borrowed one of those.  It was very neutral feeling and I got comfortable on it pretty quick.  The midrange torque of that engine was a delight for crusing.   Riding home tired I was not thinking clearly (I should have gotten a hotel).  I was making up sometime on the old state highway and got into a place I needed to lay it over hard to round a corner.  WAY too much stuff started grinding and I could not get that long bike to make the curve.  I ended up riding it right off the road.  The ground was rough but luckily there was no ditch.  I gave up a couple  pay checks to replace the stuff I damaged.    I guess I am saying, enjoy the new bike, but don't forget that it is radically different than a Concours, esp if you try to push it hard.  Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline ugocon

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
I didn't think they had an EFI model.  When I last went to the Yamaha dealer, they said the Ventures have been the exact same since 1999.

Wooops... :-[
You're right: I messed up with the KAWASAKI VN1700 Voyager
They look alike and the Kawasaki, yes, it's underpowered!  ;)

Sorry for my mistake... ::)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Skinny

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
That's a beauty, like the yellow, fits on that bike.

I owned a 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe right before this bike.  That motor does run nice, but it had the dreaded chirp.  Turned out the higher rpm's made the chirp less noticeable and that's where it was happy running anyways.  Here's my old ride.
I found that by turning the fuel off 1/2  block away it kept the fuel smell at bay from full up float bowls. 

It was solid in most departments except in the slowing down one. 
'12 C14, Aeroflow, AST risers, rad gaurd, Seth Laam Seat

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
Wooops... :-[
You're right: I messed up with the KAWASAKI VN1700 Voyager
They look alike and the Kawasaki, yes, it's underpowered!  ;)

Sorry for my mistake... ::)

I don't think it is underpowered.  It pulls like a tractor.  Of course you can't compare it to the Concours which has more power than most can use (legally).

To the original poster, enjoy your bike.  Definitely one of the most comfortable stock seats ever made.  I'm not a fan of handlebar mounted fairings, but love the v4 that looks like a twin.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:15 AM »
Oh yeah.  If Pam doesn't ride on that, she ain't riding nothing with you!  Please don't show it to Donna.  At least she doesn't like Goldwings - go figure.  I keep her looking at the sport bikes.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington