Author Topic: Hip cramp  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Hip cramp
« on: April 19, 2020, 08:38:08 PM »
Does anybody else get a cramp in their leg at the beginning of the season? It's been happening to me the last few years, only for the first few weeks or month of riding season. I've never thought of the Concours as a "fold your legs under you" bike (like my buddy's Triumph Sprint GT), and I don't want to do lowered pegs since my boot is millimeters away from the pavement when digging through a corner. It's on the outside-rear of my right leg right at the hip/buttock area when I lift my leg to put it on the peg. Well, let's be honest...it's right alongside the bone in my right butt cheek. If I leave my foot on the peg it gets progressively more painful until I need to "dangle" that leg off the peg for a few seconds; after that it subsides until the next time I have to put my feet down, rinse and repeat. Is it just me? Old age? Is there a voodoo doll of me somewhere with pins in the ass? Should I volunteer at the soylent factory?
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Hip cramp
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:59:01 PM »
If you have not been riding a lot, and now suddenly are, it might be that the supporting muscles that are not normally used have atrophied some.  This happens with me frequently; not so much on the bike, since I ride year-round.  But with other activities.  And, of course, it gets worse as I get older.  It is amazing how quickly "use it or lose it" seems to occur.

You might benefit from some range-of-motion stretching before a ride, and then again at rest-stopping.  I usually forget before a ride, but ALWAYS remember after 1 to 1.5 hours into one :)  My problems are mostly my back, shoulders, neck and hands.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:06:04 AM »
It's happened to me more than a few times on the C14 and the Indian.  Damnably painful.  I'm not sure what triggers it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 05:37:36 AM »
Might be the early signs of hip arthritis.  Ive had one hip replaced and am waiting on the other for the hospital to get back in business.  Your symptoms are very similar, good luck with it.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
OH Boy!... a chance for all of us ol' farts to talk about our aches and pains, this is gonna be great!  :doh: ::) :P

I don't think I have exactly what you do but I occasionally get a hip pain on both sides at the beginning of a ride when I haven't ridden for awhile.
Mine feels like it's right in or on the outside of the hip joint joint and it usually hits just after I put my feet down at a stop. It is intensely painful and I only get relief
 by standing on the pegs for a bit. If I'm alone at the time I will pull over and get off the bike and walk around a bit and it's gone. If I'm with a group I just stand on
 the pegs off and on squirm and move around the seat and it eventually goes away. When I don't stop the pain will intensify a bit to the point that I feel if I did stop
that I wouldn't be able to hold up the bike. Mine seems to be related to how far apart I have to spread my legs. It always happens on my C14 and never on the DR650.
 A couple of times it happened as soon as I sat on a bike that was extra wide. A Victory Vision at a motorcycle show and a FJR at a Yamaha test ride event were instantly painful.
When it happens it almost feels like my legs are a turkey wishbone and someone is pulling them apart to make a wish. If I'm leaving on a multi-day trip it will happen
somewhere in the first hour usually right at a stop, and then not happen again for the rest of the trip. I've referred to it as a Charlie Horse but I don't think that is what
 it really is.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »
Marty, that's exactly my symptoms...feels more like a cramp in the hip area. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 02:00:53 PM »
It happens to me a lot when I first get on the bike . I often stand up on the pegs when I first start out and shuffle a bit.Seems to get things inline.Sometimes I have tosit down and stand up a few times in succession to get things lined up.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
I have been getting the same pain in the beginning of rides and finally noticed that if I hiked up my belt line I get instant relief.
As my middle expands the belt seems to lower.
Got to find a way to fix that!
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
I have been getting the same pain in the beginning of rides and finally noticed that if I hiked up my belt line I get instant relief.
As my middle expands the belt seems to lower.
Got to find a way to fix that!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 02:52:54 PM »
I actually figured out, for the same thing I feel, that it was because of my clothing, specifically my Aerostich..
If I mounted the bike, and just took off, it would happen pretty rapidly, like within 20-40 minutes..
Now, when I get on the bike, before I sit down (with sidestand down), I stand up, and pull my Stich pants up, tight in the crotch, then sit.. it surprised me that it was soo simple. My Suit fits me very loosely, and it seams it kinda pulls my hips when it's "baggy" on take off.

but.. it's also apparent that age takes it's toll also...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
Yes those "Trucker Suspenders" also help.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »
I guess I'm lucky, ergo wise... even tho I'm "security squad sized", my waist seems smaller than my hips.. so, I don't ever wear a belt, unless I have baggy pants from "wider years" I'm wearing.. (my wife continues to sneak up on me, from behind, and "pants' me.. )   a couple years ago, yeah, I wore a belt all the time.. No 'spender's tho..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 02:19:28 AM »
Oh good; so it isn't just me...misery loves company.  ;D  It could well be my old buddy Arthur Itis, my left hip is getting pretty bad (although I guess it doesn't make a bad enough X-ray to actually get replaced...yet). Really wishing I hadn't T-boned that Chevette 35 years ago. Once the hospitals open back up I'm due for a cortisone shot. Strange that the pain is on the right, though. Standing on the pegs helps, and now that you mention it there have been wide bikes I've sat on that produced enough pain for an instant "nope" response, which makes me wonder if temporarily scootching back on the seat to bring my legs closer together might have some effect. And I have been off the bike for a while. I'll have to try hiking up my belt/pants and see if that helps. Also, I'll look into range-of-motion stretches and see if that provides some relief; any "point me in the right direction" ideas along those lines would be appreciated.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 04:43:49 AM »
     I thought I was having issues with arthritis in my left hip also but I got diagnosed about a year ago with bursitis.
     Cortizone in the right place does seem to help a little.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline dirtwiz

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 08:03:57 PM »
Try taking some over the counter "Reacted Magnesium". Makes it hard to have cramps of any kind on most people and its fairly cheap. It works!!
If loud pipes save lives....I'll be dead by morning.