Author Topic: New ZG1400 ABS owner and new MC rider  (Read 7290 times)

Offline ThermionicMan

New ZG1400 ABS owner and new MC rider
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »
Hi all,

Mike D. a.k.a. ThermionicMan here from Albany Oregon. Bought my black 2014 Concours at the end of Feb. 2015. Man what a bike! Love the Concours and am getting used to riding it. I've had minimal past riding experience (Honda Trail 90 way back when and a Honda CB400) but did go through the Team Oregon Basic Rider Training class and can't recommend it highly enough!

Anyway I'm loving riding and getting much more comfortable as the days go by. I've bought some nice reflective bag decals from RealtimeIndustries and really like those too. Only other thing I've added is a battery tender pigtail because it's a good idea and well...um because I was stranded on the side of the road once...hopefully that will be the only and last time. Funny story...for later. Because of that little incident I picked up a small LiPo jump start battery that is kept in the right bag in case I or any other rider need a jump.

I enjoy repairing and building Vacuum Tube Guitar amps, photography, playing guitar and, yep, riding my new moto. Hope to see a few of you locals out riding some time. ;-)

Mike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New ZG1400 ABS owner and new MC rider
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum!   :chugbeer:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »
Welcome ThermionicMan!  Sounds like a new super hero.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 08:18:46 PM »
Welcome! Enjoy 'er! One hell of a first big bike. This place is a plethora of helpful info waiting to be tapped. They had a crash a while back and some of it is missing though ;'( feel free to ask questions
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
Welcome! Enjoy 'er! One hell of a first big bike. This place is a plethora of helpful info waiting to be tapped. They had a crash poof! a while back and some of it is missing though ;'( feel free to ask questions
Mike

FIFY
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ThermionicMan

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll have some questions as time goes on. Actually I do already but I'll post that in the proper section. It's related to how the hell do you know what that magic spot is to lock the steering...man that one gives me fits. As far as the ZG1400 being a rather large first bike...yes it is...but I was thinking if I take things slow and don't hot dog it I'll probably be OK. Yeah I'm sure it's naive of me but I feel like I'm growing into it. :-)

Great to see so many happy Connie owners here.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 08:58:14 PM »
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.

Brian

Hi all,

Mike D. a.k.a. ThermionicMan here from Albany Oregon. Bought my black 2014 Concours at the end of Feb. 2015. Man what a bike! Love the Concours and am getting used to riding it. I've had minimal past riding experience (Honda Trail 90 way back when and a Honda CB400) but did go through the Team Oregon Basic Rider Training class and can't recommend it highly enough!

Anyway I'm loving riding and getting much more comfortable as the days go by. I've bought some nice reflective bag decals from RealtimeIndustries and really like those too. Only other thing I've added is a battery tender pigtail because it's a good idea and well...um because I was stranded on the side of the road once...hopefully that will be the only and last time. Funny story...for later. Because of that little incident I picked up a small LiPo jump start battery that is kept in the right bag in case I or any other rider need a jump.

I enjoy repairing and building Vacuum Tube Guitar amps, photography, playing guitar and, yep, riding my new moto. Hope to see a few of you locals out riding some time. ;-)

Mike
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56:18 PM »
Nice ride. Welcome!!!
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 11:33:06 PM »
Sure is a nice looking bike you have there. Welcome aboard.

Hey! You have a couple sugare inch's of free bench not being used.
 :chugbeer:

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 02:49:47 AM »
Welcome-  I'm in the Tacoma, Washington area and love going down to the central Oregon area to ride.  Definitely some of the best riding in the NW

Tony

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 06:25:43 AM »
Unless you are built like a linebacker, please invest in some canyon cages and saddlebag guards from MC Enterprises.  Will save you some heartache when you let the bike lay down on its side because you are not prepared for the weight or grab some front brake while the handlebars are turned.

For new and returning riders, I recommend getting and reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and "Street Strategies" by David Hough, and "Total Control" by Lee Parks.  I have read all three several times and "Street Strategies" reads like a daily devotional so you can keep it in the WC for quick morning reminders.

The bike easily is going faster than you realize, but you don't want to constantly be looking at the speedo which will distract you from watching cars around you, so practice on low travel roads until you learn to feel the speed.  Put it on Econo mode and keep the RPMs low to help keep you from crazy acceleration. 

I think you are the first person I have heard of that got a Concours as a first bike.  Although returning riders do tend to buy the largest Cruiser available and become statistics if they are not up to the challenge.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline ThermionicMan

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »
Hey Twowheeladdict,

Thanks for the tips. I've been thinking of getting some canyon cages and bag guards. Great idea. I've had a couple close calls with the weight of the bike and killing the engine during start up acceleration so I see the benefit. I have been taking things slow and steady and riding back roads mostly. I have it in econo mode because of the lower engine output to help me get used to things because I did notice on one ride that in OD it's easy to slip over 70 real quick.

I went on my first long ride with two friends this weekend on a loop from Albany to Waldport, Newport then back home which was about 153 miles. Lots of curvy roads in the mountains and, according to one of the experienced riders, I was doing very well thinking ahead and lowering my speed into the corners as well as riding well in a group. I appreciate that it's generally more bike than most beginning riders should take on but hopefully I'm not in over my head and can grow into the bike.

I guess I was thinking I should get the bike I will want to hang onto for a long time and not have to turn around in a year and look for something with more get up and go. I do appreciate all the seasoned rider input very much.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
Welcome! I went to WOU for college and graduated in '99.
Then moved to San Francisco.
Now I'm ready to move back.
Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum! You'll find tons of great info on here and a bunch of genius brains to pick when you need to. Take your time getting used to the basics (again), you'll do fine.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 07:26:55 AM »
Welcome Mike.
Looks like a nice ride!

When you feel ready,,, come ride with us..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline ThermionicMan

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »
Welcome Mike.
Looks like a nice ride!

When you feel ready,,, come ride with us..

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted! Where are you located?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Hello again Mike.   I'm down in Houston.
AND Your very welcome to ride with me.
But, I was referring more, to; come ride with us (The COGdom).
We'll be in Cortez Colorado in June for the COG National...
Many that you read on these Forums will be there.. (Approx 200-300)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
And now for the rebuttal: Ted, you ignorant slut! (from Saturday Night Live back when it was funny)

:rotflmao:

But seriously, from what I have seen, them fellas down in Tehas is good folk- starting with Ted and continuing through a bunch of others including Chuck (Rev Rider) and Fred (the area director in dem dare parts)- great people.

Just steer clear of der fuhrer (note the lack of capitalization to show a complete lack of respect rather than a mere typo) and his cohorts and you should be fine.

Brian

Hello again Mike.   I'm down in Houston.
AND Your very welcome to ride with me.
But, I was referring more, to; come ride with us (The COGdom).
We'll be in Cortez Colorado in June for the COG National...
Many that you read on these Forums will be there.. (Approx 200-300)

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
And now for the rebuttal: Ted, you ignorant slut! (from Saturday Night Live back when it was funny)

"Hey",,,,  I resemble that remark!!!
       But that's ok.
Being from Tehas,,,  I'll talk to anyone.

ThermionicMan, do keep us updated on your progress.
And, I was serious about meeting us at the COG National in Cortez.
Heck, even BDF might be there to see ya.

Ride safe, Ted