Author Topic: Major close call %$#@%$#%@$%$@%$#  (Read 1532 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Major close call %$#@%$#%@$%$@%$#
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I just finished with the full fairing off check of the bike, bolts, screws, mounts etc... and then went for a short ride to enjoy my work. Bike ran great and things were going great until I came to a truck and trailer turning right into a driveway with a car slowing behide. All seemed well as they both slowed to a stop and then the stupid car decided to jart out from behind the truck when I was about 100' away. Nailed the brakes, locked the rear wheel (!st for this). The rear of the bike slid out to the left and the bars shook like mad but she stayed up. After 15000 on a bike this is the first time that I can say that I understand the stories that I read about how things get real slow at times like this. Strange thing is that I can still see the face of the %$#%$#% girl that was driving the car and how she was giving me the ugly look. She was 100% in my lane, cut me off and almost killed me and the ((!@*&(*!& was giving me a look. Well, I got to the next intersection, got off the bike for a spell and after I calmed down I went home.

Well, the bike and I stayed up. No damage done, at least that I can see, and this major close call fright reminds me that I must never relax when approaching trafic no matter how few or how slow they are going.....never again!

Offline rush2112

• Arena
Re: Major close call %$#@%$#%@$%$@%$#
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Glad you made it through this!

I had a similar situation Friday leaving work. First time I had to lock it up on this bike!
When she saw me, she jerked the wheel and fully jumper the curb and went through the median.
Afterward, she wouldn't even look at me!!!!! Hope she blew some tires on that curb!!!!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
 :o

Glad all is well bro, sounds like a close call indeed!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
I still remember the minivan that did a left turn in front of me the first year I was on my Connie.  35 MPH 2 lane road, and she didn't see me until she was making the turn, froze up and stopped directly in my lane.

Myself, all I remember was coming up on the intersection at about 30-35 MPH, noting the minivan that was stopped in the opposite lane in anticipation of making the left hand turn, and then needing to/coming to a complete stop very quickly about 6 inches from the sliding side door of her van.  Reflexes kicked in automatically, I stopped properly, but really don't remember thinking about the whole thing - I just stopped.  No time slowdown for me on this incident.

I had to wave the lady out of my way to get her moving again.  Hopefully she received a good wake up call from the incident.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »
smidsy

Glad to hear that you made it without issue.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline cmoore

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »
sGilbert14, glad you made it through O.K. TwoSkies, you described my close call to a T. Going the speed limit was the one thing that saved me. I locked up both tires and and said, no screamed, Oh S***. I was able to stay upright but it was a wake up call for riding on back roads. You never know what's over the next hill or around the next bend. Be ready.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:18:29 AM »
Wake up + is right.