Author Topic: Annoying caller blocking....  (Read 10528 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Annoying caller blocking....
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 08:02:20 AM »
OK, paragraphs. :-)

1) Some are, some are not difficult to set up. Some rely on the user 'letting' people in (white list) while others perform a quick test (very similar to what was proposed earlier in the thread although the owner of the device has no control over what the test itself is) to authenticate a user and then put that number on the internal white list.

Again, the way I use the phone, I need to be able to receive calls while I am on the phone so blocking caller waiting is not an option.

2) True but I do not actually get enough local calls to be a problem, at least not yet. And depending on the size of the data base, the black list could not only be huge but very up- to- date. I would be willing to try a 'database blacklist' blocking device.

3) Two parts: a) yes, but this entire thing is selfish. It is all about me and my comfort regarding telephone use. If I was being altruistic in the matter, I would politely answer every call, compliment every caller in some way, teach the world to sing in perfect harmony and then buy them a Coke. So as my wife would say 'The selfish train has sailed'.  and b)Yes, it does introduce the possibility of playing 'telephone tag'. But as my attitude changes, I care less and less about that. Not to be confused with 'cranky' (which I am, very much so, but about bottom- feeders, not the people I want to talk to). My sons only have cell phones and are pretty cavalier about answering them so about 1 time in 3, I get to their voice mail, which they do not check if they know it is me- they just call back. Well, now that I am not answering the call and they get voice mail, they do not bother to leave a message either. Of course this results in fewer phone calls but such is life, as the French say.

Right at the moment, this method is providing some amount of immediate correction for the most serious problem, the bombardment of calls from people I do not want to speak with. It has its downsides but nothing awful, at least for me. Sure, that day I need the new kidney it could all prove a bit lethal, what with the 'phone tag' and all but I am willing to take that chance. :-)

The better solution does seem to be nomorobo with Vonage or Verizon but that will have to wait until a window of time opens.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it!

Brian

Not the least of which being their complexity and setup time (although some look to be pretty simply if you don't need/want all the features).  I am not sure why you are "hung up" [pun intended] on the call waiting issue, though.  If you are already on the phone, then it isn't that much of an interruption (if you have call waiting caller ID).  Worst case, just ignore it; or even disable call waiting  (*70)  (yep, I don't have call waiting because it costs money I don't want to pay... it is rare I am on the phone all that long).  In which case, the Tel-Lynx looks like it might be a great fit for you.

In my case, that wouldn't be the best, because those still allow crap through like the city "notices", political calls, etc (from what I understand).  Personally, I would never want or accept ANY robo-recording call, marketing call, political call, sales call, "notice" call, etc.  Plus, although it has honeypots, blacklists only work if people participate and mark calls as spam.

Kinda selfish, though.... if the other party does the same thing, then the two of you will never communicate.  Plus it is still very inconvenient- you don't know from across the room if it is important or not until you stop, go over, and do whatever to get it playing back the message; and then delete it.  That is, if you even remember.  I get recorded voicemail from spammers, usually a partial of the recording, sometimes even a human (although that is rare).  So voicemail/answering machines do not help much with many types of phone spam.  In fact, I think it makes it even more annoying- most are calls from when I am not even home.

Your crankiness about spam calls is probably only matched by mine.  And I don't even get that many spam calls.  If I were at your level, I would have changed my number or ripped the phone(s) out of the wall if I couldn't find something to help.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »
there is another option.

Answer the call and put the handset to one side, next to a noisy fridge or something maybe, and wait for them to hang up. They're the ones making the call ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »
I have been getting those same spoofed calls that show caller id as a local number too.  PITA. My computers are apparently sending out a lot  virii!! 
  I do not answer numbers that are not in my contact lists  BUT I  do use a free Google number and i can screen a call or  push it to Voice Mail and still listen  (or not) and  then Google sends me a voice mail and a text email transcribed from the VM. Pretty handy and I can also  record the call while I am talking. Good for record keeping.

I am not sure if a land line  can be added to the free Google number.  In my case i only  have the  two cell phones and when you dial my  Google number both cell phones ring.  i dont know if  it would be of any help for you Brian but I thought I would throw it out there as a possibility.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »
No benefit to me and no detriment to the caller in doing that. These are 'robot' calls, no human involved, and they will not start "speaking" unless the party being called speaks. So all that would do is give me a part- time job and it would end up with a series of loud, low- pitched 'beeps' on my end, which is the way the phone lets the user (me) know the phone is 'off the hook' and it needs to be hung up.

This situation is purely computer driven so there is nothing and no- one to rage against, other than the huge corporations doing this and it is unlikely individuals can do anything on that level.

The other day I was getting a haircut at the Barber's and he happened to be alone in the shop so he was cutting hair / manning the phone all at once. In the time he was cutting my hair (just a haircut, no washing, no blow- drying, nothing but cutting), he received eight (EIGHT!!!) phone calls, which he had to answer because he did not recognize any of the caller's numbers of course, and only one was a customer. Seven bottom- feeders out of which he spoke with I think three. He is kind of an old- school gentleman, from the old country (Italy) and a true gentleman and nice guy so he would not / could not just hang up but had to say 'No thank you, I am not interested in that' about four times every-time he spoke with a human. This is indicative of the problem, at least to me.

Brian

there is another option.

Answer the call and put the handset to one side, next to a noisy fridge or something maybe, and wait for them to hang up. They're the ones making the call ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
Hey, I appreciate all thoughts and ideas Mike, thanks. Maybe an outside service is in order here to deal with this. I will add looking at Google service(s) to my search.

Brian

I have been getting those same spoofed calls that show caller id as a local number too.  PITA. My computers are apparently sending out a lot  virii!! 
  I do not answer numbers that are not in my contact lists  BUT I  do use a free Google number and i can screen a call or  push it to Voice Mail and still listen  (or not) and  then Google sends me a voice mail and a text email transcribed from the VM. Pretty handy and I can also  record the call while I am talking. Good for record keeping.

I am not sure if a land line  can be added to the free Google number.  In my case i only  have the  two cell phones and when you dial my  Google number both cell phones ring.  i dont know if  it would be of any help for you Brian but I thought I would throw it out there as a possibility.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
there is another option.

Yep, done that as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
there is another option.

I have at times implemented a variation on that theme. Caller would ask for Steve (that's me) and I would say "One moment please". Then turn away and yell "hey Steve the phone is for you!". Wait 30 seconds.. "Steve! Get the phone!"... wait another 20 seconds or so and say into the phone "he's coming..." wait some more... basically keep this up until they finally hang up.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
I think the guy who put the shine on that one was Tom Mabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

And the really cool part is that he got the name, address and telephone number of the calling company. Now that right there could be some powerful information if it was distributed correctly and, oh say, that company got 10,000 or better yet, 250,000 calls from people to ask questions about the product and basically just keep them on the phone as long as possible. To my knowledge, he did not publish that info. but perhaps he should have.

Brian

I have at times implemented a variation on that theme. Caller would ask for Steve (that's me) and I would say "One moment please". Then turn away and yell "hey Steve the phone is for you!". Wait 30 seconds.. "Steve! Get the phone!"... wait another 20 seconds or so and say into the phone "he's coming..." wait some more... basically keep this up until they finally hang up.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
I think the guy who put the shine on that one was Tom Mabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

And the really cool part is that he got the name, address and telephone number of the calling company. Now that right there could be some powerful information if it was distributed correctly and, oh say, that company got 10,000 or better yet, 250,000 calls from people to ask questions about the product and basically just keep them on the phone as long as possible. To my knowledge, he did not publish that info. but perhaps he should have.

Brian

I love that one! Anyone that has ever been annoyed by tele-marketeers loves that little piece of payback.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »
Yeah, and listening to the poor ba$t!ch who just went to work, at a lousy job, for what I believe are slave wages, was outstanding as he literally collapsed in on himself trying to back- pedal. By the end, I think he was wishing he was a turtle and trying to pull his head and limbs in the shell.

Brian

I love that one! Anyone that has ever been annoyed by tele-marketeers loves that little piece of payback.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »
We should get to split this right?   8)

BUSINESS
FCC Fines Man $120 Million for His 100 Million Robocalls
Agency alleges telemarketer Adrian Abramovich made almost 100 million falsified robocalls using ‘neighbor spoofing’ tactic
By John D. McKinnon
Updated June 22, 2017 6:18 p.m. ET
WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission Thursday proposed a record $120 million fine against a Miami man who the agency said was responsible for making almost 100 million falsified robocalls in late 2016 in violation of telecommunications laws.

The man, identified by the FCC as Miami business owner Adrian Abramovich, falsified caller ID information to trick consumers into thinking the calls were coming from local numbers—a...

TO READ THE FULL STORY... https://www.wsj.com/articles/fcc-proposes-120-million-fine-against-miami-telemarketer-1498152920

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
BUSINESS
FCC Fines Man $120 Million for His 100 Million Robocalls

Yep, that is what I was talking about in reply 19.  Insane how much  hate and wasted time a single company can create.  Unfortunately, for each one taken down, there are thousands still out there and more popping up every day.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 03:08:43 AM »
Well, I think I have arrived at a workable system.

1) all ringers in the house are off. So all phone calls are silent no matter the caller.
2) If I happen to see a cordless phone (there are three of them around the house' "light up", I usually take a look and of course may answer it if I know the caller.
3) This absolutely and completely stops bottom- feeding callers.
4) If someone actually leaves a messave, and that call is of importance (even a stranger with a KiPass or low fuel warning or Rostra question), I pick up the call
5) at the end of time away from the phone, either upstairs working or out of the house, I check for both messages as well as missed callers via caller ID. Return calls but of course <may> play telephone- tag with some family members. I am finding that OK too because almost always there is nothing really important about the call anyway.
6) my wife keeps in touch with the family and friends via cell phone, texting, FaceTwit and so forth, then relays the info. to me. Now as my hearing deteriorates, and since she will make absolutely no effort to communicate clearly (in fact, she mumbles while facing the wall to make SURE I cannot hear her), I only catch about 10% of what she says anyway. But as the effort on my part is too high to chase more of the content, and the content is usually not very valuable, that is OK too and I am now shooting for 5% with an 1% reduction in every three month period following. So by winter I expect to hear 'wa wa wa, wa wa waaaaaa, small laugh, more wa wa and then blissful silence'.

So, to summarize: Doing well with [it used to annoy me] phone. Doing well with [it still annoys me when she talks so I cannot understand her but less- so all the time] wife. Getting all the information I want about others, actually too much, and am getting less all the time, so WIN- WIN- WIN!

Have applied my new attitude to several different areas with equally good and surprising results: went to start two chainsaws last week, neither would start. One is a Stihl, 2 yrs. old, and I just love the little guy! Small (35 cc, 16" bar), light, no vibration, E-Z- start (which I like) and all 'flippy caps' to not only fill with fuel and bar oil but also adjust the chain! Changed spark plug and still will not start. Will take to OPE store with strict instructions not to spend more than $85 or so on repairs. If repairs exceed that, will remove chain and bar and crush powerhead beyond any recognition and buy new saw.... elsewhere. Problem solved, blood pressure even, attention not diverted to stupid chain saw problems. Other saw is Echo 60cc, wearing 24" bar and an aggressive chain. That one resisted but eventually 'came around' and started. With some carb. tweaks to increase air pollution, it is running like a scalded cat and cutting like a banshee. Still no blood pressure increase, no time wasted, no diversion to chain saws. Started to de-cap and resize some Federal .223 brass tonight, for relaxation. Hmmm. Did not work out as primers are crimped and could not get any consistency on shoulder- bump resizing. Stopped and switched to once- fired PMC brass and the sun came out and the bird sang and all was right in the world. I stumbled over once- fired Federal brass by mistake, maybe 5,000 cases and will pick up more next week but will not allow it to torture me and clean brass DOES have a scrap value.

New attitude working great!!! Thanks are in order to the bottom- feeders and the corporations who sent them to torture me for causing this strategic change in behavior. Illegitimi non carborundum also works on the small scale too, who knew?

Brian (lalalalalalala with hands over ears, I do not hear you and you will not penetrate my inner sanctum :-)   )

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
"landline"? I know not what that is.

We live out on the boonies, no cell service out here. It is either a landline, semaphore flags or flare guns...

Dan

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
Update to an old thread: I think I may have found some useful hardware for this problem. Not cheap but it looks like it might work well....

Tel- Lynx guardian personal assistant. Apparently, it has two modes: a known caller and it lets the call through so that phones ring in the house, the answering machine can pick up, or a human can answer. And the 'unknown' but suspicious mode where it interrupts the incoming phone call, asks the caller to state his / her name and telephone number. If this is not done, the call does not go through. If this IS done, the call is put through but the info. flagged for the user to tag it as an 'OK' or 'bad' number for future use.

Seems like that would be a decent way to screen calls, eliminate all robo- calls, and not unduly torture people I would really like to speak with (which is really any human who really is trying to call me but not annoy me).

Anyone have one of these trinkets?

Brian

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »
I never gave out my home number...
yet 20 calls a day come into it...

I refuse to pay for anything out of my pocket, other than a can of Freon to power my airhorn... into someones ear...( try it, you'll like it... very satisfying hearing the screams...)
to intercept...

my satellite company "bundle" will add caller to an ignore list, but it will only jandle like a half dozen numbers, and isn't worth the time involved to keep up with it..

answer machine.
it gets full, because of all the auto/robo/hangups, after a while... then i just erase the calls again, and monitor... as my family actually does have this number, and they actually do speak and leave a messege, but when I hear a human voice instead of "click" I tend to pay attention.

worst part is, our phones "announce" the caller, or any "identifiable" attribute about the incoming call...
like "toll free caller"... "Joe B Low", " Local caller" "Unknown caller"... etc...

how many calls can you get "toll free caller" from a day?

at wits end... but hanging in there.... with my Freon powered airhorn...
 :rotflmao: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :stirpot:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
Update to an old thread: I think I may have found some useful hardware for this problem. Not cheap but it looks like it might work well....

Tel- Lynx guardian personal assistant. Apparently, it has two modes: a known caller and it lets the call through so that phones ring in the house, the answering machine can pick up, or a human can answer. And the 'unknown' but suspicious mode where it interrupts the incoming phone call, asks the caller to state his / her name and telephone number. If this is not done, the call does not go through. If this IS done, the call is put through but the info. flagged for the user to tag it as an 'OK' or 'bad' number for future use.

Seems like that would be a decent way to screen calls, eliminate all robo- calls, and not unduly torture people I would really like to speak with (which is really any human who really is trying to call me but not annoy me).

Anyone have one of these trinkets?

I researched the Tel-Lynx several months ago.  I thought I had posted about it here, somewhere, but now can't find anything.  It will work without caller-ID, but not as well, and I wasn't going to spend even more money to get that feature, so I kinda dropped my research.  But yes, it looks very interesting.  I even recommended it to my Mom (who has a LOT more problems with robo-calls than I do).

It is a "white list" with challenge device.  So you can load all known numbers, and unknown ones are challenged and if they pass [your manual screening], they are added to the white list and ring right through from that point and in the future.    I think there were two problems with the design that I didn't like- I think the first had to do with allowing rejected callers to leave a voicemail or something like that.  The other was I wanted an automated challenge so I didn't have to screen anything at all...  Like "Please press [random number] to continue" or "Please enter the sum of 3 and 2".

In any case, yes, it is very interesting and not too expensive.  There is also a (more expensive) bluetooth model that will integrate cell phone usage with it, too.  People say the documentation is so-so, but that support is great.

https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Lynx-Guardian-Personal-Telephone-Assistant/dp/B014WPXJ0G

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »
I never gave out my home number...
yet 20 calls a day come into it...

I refuse to pay for anything out of my pocket, other than a can of Freon to power my airhorn... into someones ear...( try it, you'll like it... very satisfying hearing the screams...)
to intercept...

my satellite company "bundle" will add caller to an ignore list, but it will only jandle like a half dozen numbers, and isn't worth the time involved to keep up with it..

answer machine.
it gets full, because of all the auto/robo/hangups, after a while... then i just erase the calls again, and monitor... as my family actually does have this number, and they actually do speak and leave a messege, but when I hear a human voice instead of "click" I tend to pay attention.

worst part is, our phones "announce" the caller, or any "identifiable" attribute about the incoming call...
like "toll free caller"... "Joe B Low", " Local caller" "Unknown caller"... etc...

how many calls can you get "toll free caller" from a day?

at wits end... but hanging in there.... with my Freon powered airhorn...
 :rotflmao: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :stirpot:

That's fine if there is someone on the phone but most of mine are just ahole robots who don't care one way or the other about air horns.  Now, if I could send some sort of electrical spike back at them....?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »

That's fine if there is someone on the phone but most of mine are just ahole robots who don't care one way or the other about air horns.  Now, if I could send some sort of electrical spike back at them....?

yeah, I'm working on that one still...

but, many calls of Robo origen, switch to "live" human when answering and responding with a "hello", that said, when they begin the goober slobber b/s, airhorn time...

years ago, when i was a baaaaad kid in my teen years, a 9v battery, and a safety pin, and some speaker wire... would work great when the 9V probe was jammed into a payphone speaker...

but...
ain't no way to do that today...

I'm thinking any "subversive activities" like back volting some phone calls, would be construed as an act of terrorism... but as I always say.... "hey, THEY called my number, I didn't call them...!!!!!"

my wife, with her JurisDoctorate, always tells me I cannot respond to bogus callers incoming on MY phone, with the statement "If you call my number again, I will hunt you down, and kill you, and your dog ToTo too.."

I don't understand why...  :feedback: :deadhorse: :popcorn: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :stirpot:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..