Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133670 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »

I was told by my dealer as long as I don't open the case as in engine case I won't void my warranty. Throwing a power commander on or flashing the ECU as per my dealer won't affect the warranty in any way. Considering I just had my bike in the shop for an oil leak and a broken tooth off 3rd gear with a flashed ECU I'll tend to believe him. Covered under warranty.

The way I understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is that the burden of proof is on the manf to prove that something you did caused the failure......
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2015, 05:48:17 AM »
So Harvey is not a member of COG and does not use the COG forum yet you got this off the COG forum?  Wondering about #3 unless I'm totally misreading what he said...  If he is a member of COG and their forum, I have no issues with that, but he probably should have left out #3 or at least modified it a bit. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
So Harvey is not a member of COG and does not use the COG forum yet you got this off the COG forum?  Wondering about #3 unless I'm totally misreading what he said...  If he is a member of COG and their forum, I have no issues with that, but he probably should have left out #3 or at least modified it a bit.

Non Cog members regularly use the COG forum, in fact most folks who use the forum aren't COG members.

So here's the backstory. Harvey contacted me about doing a flash, just like anyone else. He lives in Canada, wanted overnight shipping, so there was some extra logistics to manage. He is also a friend of Murph's, as he told me they are Buds. Well, Murph, like many other folks also expressed some scepticism early on, which kind of caught me off guard because we know each other and I would have thought he would just believe me, but well, you know human nature. So now I know Murph is going to get a full report, and it was a really great chance for my flash to get a straight up comparison against Guhl's by a guy who knows how to articulate the differences.  I asked Harvey, before he got the ECU back, to please do a comparative evaluation for me, and share it with the forum, but also knowing Murph would hear it before even you or I.

What you read is Harveys' own evaluation. Not only did he pay me full price, which is even worse for Canadians who are getting like 30% hit on the dollar, but he also paid for overnight airfare, as he said the weather was still good there and he had a ride schedules in early December. All Harvey got from me was exactly what y'all will get from me, a good flash.

If you were to go to COG, and read the whole thread on "ECU flashes, a perception problem" you'ld see an interaction around page 5 I have with a guy who is like a stalker to me; he even goes so far as to accuse me of hacking peoples accounts and having other people post using his account... he's way out there. So now when other guys, including Harvey, are posting their evaluations of the flash they're all including some verbage that they aren't paid my me, or in my pocket, of somehow in an organization bent on extracting money on my behalf.

Yes, alot of BS drama, but that's the internet. Not everyone who posts is in their right mind; we have all seen it one time or another. But Jim, eventually YOU will be posting your evaluation, and it will be good, like everyone else's... how will you feel if someone accuses you of being in cahoots with me somehow? Well, you and I know you're not, and those who know us know the truth. All Harvey was trying to do was reassure folks that he wasn't a shill, just an honest guy doing an honest evaluation, just like you will be.

And finally, I WANT guys who know the difference to report evaluations on the forum. y'all will  believe each other quicker than you'll believe me. YOU will help the flash be a success, because word of mouth is the strongest form of advertisement. I want the flash publicly evaluated...  I worked hard to make it what it is, I welcome the public feedback and appreciate the effort guys like Harvey put into telling the rest of the c-14 about their experiences with my flash.  Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »
And finally, I WANT guys who know the difference to report evaluations on the forum. y'all will  believe each other quicker than you'll believe me. YOU will help the flash be a success, because word of mouth is the strongest form of advertisement. I want the flash publicly evaluated...

+1  One of the best things about forums is the ability to share experiences (positive, negative, and neutral).  Never rely on just one word of mouth, and it is OK to be skeptical, but usually there will be an obvious consensus at some point.... especially when long-term people start to speak up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
   Non Cog members regularly use the COG forum, in fact most folks who use the forum aren't COG members.

So here's the backstory. Harvey contacted me about doing a flash, just like anyone else. He lives in Canada, wanted overnight shipping, so there was some extra logistics to manage. He is also a friend of Murph's, as he told me they are Buds. Well, Murph, like many other folks also expressed some scepticism early on, which kind of caught me off guard because we know each other and I would have thought he would just believe me, but well, you know human nature. So now I know Murph is going to get a full report, and it was a really great chance for my flash to get a straight up comparison against Guhl's by a guy who knows how to articulate the differences.  I asked Harvey, before he got the ECU back, to please do a comparative evaluation for me, and share it with the forum, but also knowing Murph would hear it before even you or I.

What you read is Harveys' own evaluation. Not only did he pay me full price, which is even worse for Canadians who are getting like 30% hit on the dollar, but he also paid for overnight airfare, as he said the weather was still good there and he had a ride schedules in early December. All Harvey got from me was exactly what y'all will get from me, a good flash.

If you were to go to COG, and read the whole thread on "ECU flashes, a perception problem" you'ld see an interaction around page 5 I have with a guy who is like a stalker to me; he even goes so far as to accuse me of hacking peoples accounts and having other people post using his account... he's way out there. So now when other guys, including Harvey, are posting their evaluations of the flash they're all including some verbage that they aren't paid my me, or in my pocket, of somehow in an organization bent on extracting money on my behalf.

Yes, alot of BS drama, but that's the internet. Not everyone who posts is in their right mind; we have all seen it one time or another. But Jim, eventually YOU will be posting your evaluation, and it will be good, like everyone else's... how will you feel if someone accuses you of being in cahoots with me somehow? Well, you and I know you're not, and those who know us know the truth. All Harvey was trying to do was reassure folks that he wasn't a shill, just an honest guy doing an honest evaluation, just like you will be.

And finally, I WANT guys who know the difference to report evaluations on the forum. y'all will  believe each other quicker than you'll believe me. YOU will help the flash be a success, because word of mouth is the strongest form of advertisement. I want the flash publicly evaluated...  I worked hard to make it what it is, I welcome the public feedback and appreciate the effort guys like Harvey put into telling the rest of the c-14 about their experiences with my flash.  Steve

I tell EVERYONE I can about it! I still feel it's the best thing I could have done to my bike...best $300 I could have EVER spent (better not say that too loud...she might be listening :-X)!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
 :rotflmao: she only cost $300?

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
:rotflmao: she only cost $300?

What can I say, I'm a "bargain" shopper ::)
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2015, 11:14:26 PM »
I tell EVERYONE I can about it! I still feel it's the best thing I could have done to my bike...best $300 I could have EVER spent (better not say that too loud...she might be listening :-X)!

Mike

P/W'ed again..

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
P/W'ed again..

Some things never change!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »
Well, I have it installed and went on a short ride this past Sunday.  It wasn't off to a good start however (pun intended).  Came up with an F1 error immediately.  Never saw this on the bike before.  Had a few heart palpitations with that one.  Talked to Steve and that does happen on occasion so no worries.  Turned it off and back on again, this time no error however it ran a bit lumpy.  Revved it a bit and the fast idle jumped higher than normal.  Well alrighty then...  Turned it back off and back on and it seemed normal.   As it was pouring outside, that's as far as I got.

Sunday weather was quite beautiful.  Backed it out of the garage and proceeded to crank it.  Sounded normal at first and then went very lumpy and cut off.  Oh my, that's never happened before.  Tried to crank it back up and it sounded very very weak.   Voltage was only showing 12 on the display.  Strong language prevailed and I willed it to start up again.  It smoothed out and showed about 14.3v on the display finally.  Idle was a little lower than it should be.

Got on and took it out on the highway.  It pulled nicely from the traffic light on for about a quarter mile before I backed off the throttle.  Cops around here take a dim view of light speed in a 55 and this bike can achieve it in short order even carrying my svelte frame.  I'm well pleased with that performance.  Seems 'stronger' than it was before the flash.   I only had time to go on my short 'circuit'.  Went around one sharp right hander that I usually take in fourth but took in fifth...just to see.   Went well, actually.  I was able to accelerate through the turn very nicely.  The rest was somewhat sedate and not a good test of the flash.  I really want to try it through the mountains west of here.  I also want to try it with my wife on the bike as well.  That will be the true test for me.  I'm hoping to have some time later this week for a better 'test'.

Starting issues....has nothing to do with the flash.  I disconnected the battery while I removed the ECU, waiting for the ECU, installing the ECU.  I believe the battery gave me a warning to get it replaced.  It's 5.5 years old.  Time for a new one I think.  AGM MBTX12U MOTOBATT (ordered).  I also attribute the initial lumpiness to the low battery.

Idle....I have to adjust that up about 100 rpm or so.  Will do that this week as I have to remove the left side of the bike to get to it.

I'll update this further when I complete the road trials.  Oh, nearly forgot.  I have the enhanced decel with this flash.  Truthfully the bike performed normally as far as I could detect on deceleration.  So adding that in to the flash made the bike appear normal to me.  Again, I think the mountain riding will tell the tale.  As far as snatchiness, I detected none.  But I had none to begin with. 

This is an early 08, bought in 07.  It wasn't neutered by the 10+ improvements.  So far I'm happy and can't wait to give it a workout in the mountains.  I'll keep you informed. 

By the way, working with Steve was spot on.  He truly is one of us.  He has the rapport with the C10 crowd and he's doing a bang up job with us as well.  :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »

(Idle....I have to adjust that up about 100 rpm or so.  Will do that this week as I have to remove the left side of the bike to get to it.)

Why do you have to remove the left side?

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
**This is a review of the flash for those of us who dwell at elevation**

Did you purchase your bike close to sea-level? Did you move to Denver or somewhere else upstairs? Are you sad inside because you lost a lot of HP with the thin air? Do you think about buying a Yamaha? Or do you just want a gooder bike? Then look no further, this flash is for you!

I myself had forgotten what it felt like to need to actually /hold on/ while accelerating; the Connie at 5280' just wasn't as exciting as it was down where oxygen abounds...but this Flash helped recoup a good bit of that long-lost power. I'll admit that I only tested it out for 70 miles and that I had a +1 (bike went in hibernation there after), but even with another human on the back, I could feel the difference. I can't say much about the fuel economy at this time but, at slow speeds and off the line, there were noticeable improvements.

Sorry it took me so long to get this posted Flo-rida.
Sleeping Connie is sleeping.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
(Idle....I have to adjust that up about 100 rpm or so.  Will do that this week as I have to remove the left side of the bike to get to it.)

Why do you have to remove the left side?

I've got those foam inserts in there and can't get to the adjusting knobby easily.  I haven't touched that knob (easy boys) since I bought the bike.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »
I've got those foam inserts in there and can't get to the adjusting knobby easily.  I haven't touched that knob (easy boys) since I bought the bike.

Have you replaced the battery yet? This idle issue isn't something I' ve experienced or had reported to me with the flash. Otherwise, we'll see how the rest of the rides go. This still reinforces to me that the 8-9's are smoother / stronger than the 10 up, my 9 just didn't have that flatness my 12 does, even though I don't see any appreciable differences across the maps. Steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
Battery is on the way.  Should be here by Friday.  These bikes are a tad touchy about battery health.  It doesn't take much of a lower voltage to affect things.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
Battery is on the way.  Should be here by Friday.  These bikes are a tad touchy about battery health.  It doesn't take much of a lower voltage to affect things.

Tad is an understatement.  The C14 seems to just throw a hissy fit of just about every strange symptom known to man when the voltage isn't always perfect.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
I left the left side insert out.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
Tad is an understatement.  The C14 seems to just throw a hissy fit of just about every strange symptom known to man when the voltage isn't always perfect.

Battery Tender Jr! I have one for every bike and toy. I find it doubles the life of the battery.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Battery Tender Jr! I have one for every bike and toy. I find it doubles the life of the battery.

Agreed, but now my Battery Tender Jr has failed and needed replacement after just 3 years.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
FOLKS.....    you WANT this flash!!!!!   ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine